LAME: Is it Really CD quality?
Feb 24, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I listen to a lot of 78s, and the natural randomness of the surface noise in older recordings completely confuses most codecs. AAC is the best at preserving the naturalness of the sound (making it easier for the ear to tune out). MP3s tend to artifact all over the place, even at 192, making it sound like a gurgling aquarium.

See ya
Steve

ah, thanks. i've been recording my lp's to minidisc so far, attrac seemed alright for vinyl stuff. i'll have to have a good look/listen so i don't rerecord to the wrong format (if i ever do it at all, my vinyl collection is gathering dust...) sadly, my iriver doesn't do aac, so i'll have to try ogg... one more point for the ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #62 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Could you recommend some really good yodeling CDs? I have been looking for years for really good examples, and I've found a few LPs and 78s with great yodelers, but all of the recently recorded CDs I've heard are total crap. Where do you find them? Through searching, I've found Amazon has nothing.

See ya
Steve

sorry steve, while my musical tastes ARE broad, the part about yodelling and alphorns was a goof... i grew up in rural austria, in a place where traditional austrian folk music (which has no alphorns, but some yodelling) is still alive - but it's just not my cup of tea... still worse, the authentic stuff gets buried by the most inane aprés-ski party crap imaginable... dj ötzi is a prime example...

if you look for european yodelling, try the german word 'jodeln' instead - that's the way it's spelt in austria, bavaria and switzerland. "echte Volksmusik" (echt meaning real, true, authentic) would be another search word. the only artists i CAN recommend don't yodel much, but they do sometimes - and they use authentic folk music in a modern way: 'hubert von goisern' and 'attwenger'.

maybe this helps: http://shopping.fireball.de/sts/echte_volksmusik.html

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #63 of 63
Thanks for the tip... You wouldn't happen to know a source for CDs of pre-war German dance bands or jazz would you? I've heard a few things that are absolutely amazing, but it appears that not much of it has been released in the US.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back