Lake People HPA RS 02 / HPA RS 08 thread
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #92 of 115
I most say RS 02 have scalled well with higher end dac like hugo 2 it started to sound good allready with chord mojo. Also i can hear every diffrence in cable change. And heard a diffrence for the better with power cleaning ,more clarity. Its an great amp.

I have also ordered an THX 789 amp i have my doubts that it can beat RS 02.

But first i have to evaluate my new bought Rca cable Atlas Equator OCC. Allthough i really like my current cable i hope for an uppgrade.

Edit: The cables was slightly too veiled for my taste. I dislike that but i dislike to bright also. Not easy finding the right one.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #93 of 115
Any comparison between RS 02 and Schiit Lyr 3?
i had the RS-08 which is the balanced version, but both are based on the V100 amp, so single ended they should sound the same. i found the RS to sound more lively and dynamic than my lyr 3 (ts new production tube). the lyr was smooth but dull sounding. the RS was more detailed, better extended, and just more engaging accross the frequency range. the lyr was sold not long after...

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #94 of 115
But first i have to evaluate my new bought Rca cable Atlas Equator OCC. Allthough i really like my current cable i hope for an uppgrade.

Edit: The cables was slightly too veiled for my taste. I dislike that but i dislike to bright also. Not easy finding the right one.

I used to be an Atlas fan myself all my cables being the Hyper series.

Now i am a Neotech advocate
You should definetly try the NEI 3001mkii
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/neotech-nei-3001iii-upocc-interconnect-cable.html

Sep 11, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #96 of 115
If anyone is interested, I am currently selling my RS 08. It’s in perfect condition.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lake-people-rs-08-balanced-amp-like-new.913105/#post-15130239
GLWS, shocked at the price you're at it's not gone. This is a true totl amp, a shame it doesn't get more attention here in the states. Anyone with high impedance headphones, especially ZMF and the HD650, this can easily be an endgame amp for you, unless you hate clean neutrality and dynamics to die for. Yes I'm an unashamed Lake People fanboy....

Dec 25, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #98 of 115
Seems like these amps been discontinued. Cant find them on the LP website. And thomann.de where i bought my RS02 sell G111 instead at similar price.

RS02 replaced by G111?
https://www.lake-people.com/product-page/phone-amp-g100-w

They should sound about the same? Seem to have the same parts. Maybe G111 is a little less powerfull in the specs. Maybe LP dident want LP amps beeing called reference series anymore because thats been taken by niimbus amps? So they remade RS to G111 is my theory.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #99 of 115
Anyone heard the RS 08 with the Hifiman Arya? Considering it as a cheaper but very close alternative to the v280. I think the v280 sound signature is a better fit with the Arya, which is fairly neutral throughout the range. Particularly the slight bass boost from the v280 is appealing to me. But there is a used RS 08 available for $500 right now, and I can't find a v280 under $1200, so seems like a no brainer... (upgrading from a schiit lyr 3). Would recable Arya to run balanced

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #100 of 115
Seems like these amps been discontinued. Cant find them on the LP website. And thomann.de where i bought my RS02 sell G111 instead at similar price.

RS02 replaced by G111?
https://www.lake-people.com/product-page/phone-amp-g100-w

They should sound about the same? Seem to have the same parts. Maybe G111 is a little less powerfull in the specs. Maybe LP dident want LP amps beeing called reference series anymore because thats been taken by niimbus amps? So they remade RS to G111 is my theory.

I asked and it's indeed replaced by the G111. A few of the other RS devices will reappear under the Violectric brand.

Anyone heard the RS 08 with the Hifiman Arya? Considering it as a cheaper but very close alternative to the v280. I think the v280 sound signature is a better fit with the Arya, which is fairly neutral throughout the range. Particularly the slight bass boost from the v280 is appealing to me. But there is a used RS 08 available for $500 right now, and I can't find a v280 under $1200, so seems like a no brainer... (upgrading from a schiit lyr 3). Would recable Arya to run balanced

I still got the Arya around and from a very neutral amp like the Crimson there's no need for bass boost.
The RS 08 will work towards the strengths of the Arya, so don't ponder much about banking on the warmer signature of the V280 or what you perceive as bass boost. You'll be fine.

Go for the RS08, especially at that price. What DAC are you pairing it with though?

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #101 of 115
I still got the Arya around and from a very neutral amp like the Crimson there's no need for bass boost.
The RS 08 will work towards the strengths of the Arya, so don't ponder much about banking on the warmer signature of the V280 or what you perceive as bass boost. You'll be fine.

Go for the RS08, especially at that price. What DAC are you pairing it with though?

Appreciate it. I’m pairing it with a Modi Multibit

Apr 24, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #102 of 115
Nice. With Modi Multibit the RS08 is the better pairing.

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #103 of 115
Just received the RS 08 the other day and already super pleased with it. It's a very clear upgrade over the Lyr 3. To the point where I'm now considering picking up a used RS 06 for $425 to make a Lake People stack. @Fegefeuer I know you have owned both - do you think it would be a substantial upgrade over the Modi Multibit? Unfortunately I can't take advantage of the balanced out as the RS 08 has only RCA in (seems like a weird disconnect for two pieces of kit in the same line), but don't know how much difference if any that would make.

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #104 of 115
hey man, glad to see the upgrade was worth it to you. What did change vs. the Lyr 3?

The line out of the RS06 is fine, no need to worry about it in any way. That said. RS06 has better reclocking and much better input variety (AES!).
Tonally the RS06 has better extension to both ends and doesn't limp in the lowest registers like the Modi, also offers more clarity. Don't expect Sabre style "excitement" though. RS06 isn't edgy and free of digititus. The guy who bought mine replaced his good old Parasound and was very happy about the changes.

425 Dollars is a great price. Sell Modi afterwards.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #105 of 115
The biggest thing is the increase in clarity, resolution, and space. The Lyr 3 just feels kind of hazy and imprecise in comparison. Quick drum hits and guitar strums that blended together are individually distinguishable on the RS 08. The soundstage is slightly wider and deeper, but also noticeably more precise (and I'm not running balanced yet). I'm noticing different notes on the piano occupying different pieces of headspace where before they all seemed to come from the same place. The background is blacker and instrument separation is more clear. In highly complex tracks it's easier to pick out each individual instrument. There's more punch and dynamics from the RS 08 - drums kick with more impact and the bass is noticeably tighter. Tonality in the treble also feels more natural. Just really better all around. It's also smaller and doesn't get as hot as the Lyr or take as long to warm up, which is a nice plus.

The biggest thing I'd be looking for from the RS 06 is soundstage, spacing and clarity/resolution. Was not aware that the Mimby was known to limp in the lows, but improved bass would definitely be a perk as well. I think I'm talking myself into this upgrade...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back