Lake People HPA RS 02 / HPA RS 08 thread
May 1, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #61 of 115
Ok, well in general I tend to think a more revealing, analytical headphone will benefit more from a DAC upgrade, while a difficult to drive headphone will improve more with a better amp. You don't really have a clear cut case in either direction though.

Personally, I'd probably go with the RS stack and be done with it. That would cover you on both sides and hopefully not tempt you for any upgrades for a while.

May 1, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #63 of 115
So the 02/08 are very neutral and reviews say, that the 06 gives a bit more body to them.
The V200 is a bit on the warm side and my dragonfly Dac gives more energy to the highs.

If you want, you can call Fried on the phone and see what he says.
Of course, his recommendations should follow his pricing:
G109 < RS02 < V100 < V200 < V220
RS08 < V280 < V281 < Niimbus

People do say that the V200 is warmer than the G109, RS02, and V100.
But the frequency response graphs don't show it -- both are ruler flat:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-amp-measurements-almost-there
https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-amp-measurements

Personally, I use the RS06 into the G109P, because I like the XLR connectors.
Those units are physically small and stack well together.
My wife uses the V850 into the V100.
In another room, I have the V800 into the V200.
Those two pairs also look nice together.

If I had to A/B/C those three pairs, I don't think I could tell the difference.
IMO all the Lake People electronics are essentially perfect.
So I would buy the best looking, or the least expensive,
and spend the extra money on headphones,
where you can hear much larger differences.

I would also urge you not to compromise.
If you really want the V200, don't buy the RS02.
You can buy a V800 or V850 to match the V200 later.
There is always later.
You can also buy used, as long as used is okay with you.
You need to know yourself and your priorities.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #64 of 115
If I were you, I'd get the RS02 and RS06 stack and be done for a good while. I have the TH900 and drive them with the RS02. Love it, great pairing. My DAC is a Modi Multibit, but if you want the stack to match, I've heard good things about the RS06.

May 3, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #65 of 115
The RS06 is an upgrade from the Modi Multibit. Stack it up and pack it up. :L3000:

RS06 is less veiled than the Modi Multibit, better in extension both ways and in balance (Modi seems to have a slight midbass hump and in general has that veil that simply doesn't go away but also shouldn't be "treated" by exchanging it with a Sabre amp) with a wider and a bit taller stage, difference is not night and day however yet still an upgrade

May 3, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #66 of 115
That may very well be, but I'm not looking to upgrade any time soon, and if I do, it's going to be something in the upper high end ala Yggdrasil.

May 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #67 of 115
oh, I just wanted to give actionfinger a good reason

May 4, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #68 of 115
Since I couldn't find any photographs of the internals of a RS 02, I opened mine up and took some.

WP_20170630_12_09_32_Pro%20(2).jpg

Nice pics. Now all you need to do is to populate the board with "missing" components and you'll be getting a RS-08 headamp. :)

May 5, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #69 of 115
Long shot I know, but wondering if anyone can compare RS 08 to v280/281 with HD650? I realize these amps are probably overkill for the Senns, but I'm looking for optimal performance. Reading opinions about V100 vs V200, it seems many (if not all) felt V100 is a better pairing with HD650 because of its more neutral tuning. I wonder if this carries over to the successors, as RS08 is based on V100 and V281 on V200, or if this is no longer the case with the new amps.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #70 of 115
also curious - was reading that the G109a - anniversary edition has some upgraded components inside, similar to those used in V100, as compared to the G109s & p models. Anyone know if that carries over into the new Lake People amps?

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #71 of 115
new RS 08 owner here. just wanted to give some impressions after a week of daily work use (4-6 hours a day, about 6 days now)

my work system is phone/tidal hifi to bifrost multibit gen 5 usb to rs (previously v100 and lyr 3) balanced out to zmf atticus (also tested balanced he560, and se t1.2, hd58x, and he400i)

tonality is pretty neutral, like the v100. it's dead silent...sounds seem to emerge from an ethereal blackness, and it's mesmerizing. the dynamic range is incredible. it's ability to produce subtle soft tones and hard impactful tones at the same time is amazing, and the overall range of volume it's able to produce at once...simply outstanding. the more complex a passage, the more outstanding this amp sounds. driver control is unflappable. i struggle to put into words how precise and controlled this amp is.

i'm bad at amp reviews, i just know this amp sounds as good or better than amps costing much more. the two that come to mind are my friend's taurus mkii, and his eddie current black widow (dont know the version he has). vs the taurus, the rs is more precise and resolving, with a sweeter tonality. the taurus is colder sounding, which initially comes across as more resolving. but with careful listening, you realize the rs08 can resolve just as much as the taurus, it's just slightly warmer overall. the rs has better bass control, that is one area the rs has a clear advantage over the taurus. not that the taurus is bad, it's not. it's exceptional (And was my ideal solid state amp prior to finding violectric). but when going back and forth from the same dac and headphone, the rs shows a level of bass control the taurus can only dream of. throw some blue man group live recordings at it. they're bombastic bass fests that really test your equipment. with the taurus, some of the bass blasts soften/blur a touch while under duress. the rs suffers none of that. it's rock solid and controlled no matter what sonic chaos is ensuing.

vs the ecbw this is more of an apples to oranges comparison. the rs is classic solid state sounding. neutral, resolving, precise. the ecbw is almost tube like in tonality. it's noticeably warmer and softer sounding, while still being highly resolving and precise. but in direct comparison, it's not as precise or resolving as the rs. i personally never bought into the ecbw, i'd rather just get a tube amp if i want tube sound. so i'm very biased here, take this with a huge grain of salt. if you like the idea of a tube sounding solid state amp though, the ecbw is exceptional. just know what you're getting into with it, in case you're expecting a more traditional solid state signature.

vs the lyr 3 (new production TS tube) it's not a fair comparison to the lyr. the rs just does everything better. it's more dynamic, it's more resolving, it has a better stage, bass is better, mids are better, treble is much better. so on and so forth. it's just a better amp, sorry to say. the lyr sounds closed off and hazy when doing direct a/b comparisons. i did like my lyr 3 a lot, but after hearing the v100, and subsequently the rs, i sold it. it just doesnt compete in the same weight class. it's also half the price so lets be fair here, it's not a fair fight given the price difference. i know, price doesnt always = better, but here it does.

vs mjolnir it's close. they trade blows, but i like the rs more for it's precision and dynamic control. the mjolnir is warmer sounding, and very engaging, so i could see someone preferring it's tonality to the more precise but more clinical rs.

vs the v100 it's quite the same, until things get complex. then the added driver control makes itself noticeable. this is via balanced output of course. if only using it SE, i actually think the v100 sounds slightly clearer and more controlled. no clue why, but i do hear it.

that brings me to a very important point, if you're not going to use the balanced output, dont bother with this amp. get a v100 or rs 02 instead. but if you do have balanced cables, then this is the amp to own! i'm dying to hear the v280/281 to compare. Arthur of Violectric USA talked to me a bit about the differences, and said via balanced output, they're very very close in performance. can anyone out there who's heard them both verify this? not that i dont trust Arthur, i'm just obsessively ocd and NEED to know :frowning2:

anyhow this amp really impresses me. the more i listen to it, the more i love it. i wish violectric got more attention here in the US.

afterthought - my buddy's modified hd650 sounded INSANE on the rs (balanced out).

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #72 of 115
RS08 really is quite the powerful, highly resolving and dynamic amp and like the V281 balanced is the way to go, meaning change of cables for your headphones is a MUST. Yes, SE is good and in some cases (like my PC37x headset) unavoidable but 4-PIN XLR is the real deal.

As a V281 owner I might be biased but I thoroughly compared both the RS08 and the V281 back and forth in May, albeit under meet impressions. I took my time and involved the engineer as well and he confirmed what I heard. The V281 is a step up. First. Better refined treble, more iron grip, soundstage is taller and wider. Not worlds apart in total but simply a refined, more sovereign, powerful version.

Why don't you ask Arthur for a loaner and compare for yourself?

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #73 of 115
RS08 really is quite the powerful, highly resolving and dynamic amp and like the V281 balanced is the way to go, meaning change of cables for your headphones is a MUST. Yes, SE is good and in some cases (like my PC37x headset) unavoidable but 4-PIN XLR is the real deal.

As a V281 owner I might be biased but I thoroughly compared both the RS08 and the V281 back and forth in May, albeit under meet impressions. I took my time and involved the engineer as well and he confirmed what I heard. The V281 is a step up. First. Better refined treble, more iron grip, soundstage is taller and wider. Not worlds apart in total but simply a refined, more sovereign, powerful version.

Why don't you ask Arthur for a loaner and compare for yourself?
thanks for the comparison, that is very useful. not a lot of feedback here in the us on the violectric/lake people products, unfortunately. i had a feeling the v281 would be a step up given it's more advanced design. was the v281 darker sounding than the rs08? if so, a lot or a little darker? i ask because my main headphone, the atticus, is a bit dark, and i like how the neutral rs08 pairs with it. on some amps the atticus is borderline too dark for my tastes. but on the v100 or rs08, it's perfect sounding for me.

i didnt know loaners were available, that's an amazing service! the hardest part of this hobby is hearing all the gear, especially once prices start getting high, like the v281. it's alot scarier to buy at that price when you havent been able to hear it. i wish i had the budget for one right now, i'd probably do it. but my wallet is still recovering from the rs08 purchase, and a hefty repair bill on my camera, which needed a complete refurb. still cheaper than a new one though!

thanks again for your input. i've been reading all the lake people/violectric threads, and your comments in them all has been very helpful as i've been educating myself on the products.

Aug 8, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #74 of 115
Never heard the Atticus unfortunately, wish I could along with the Eikon but that stuff needs to be imported and kills the deal for me.

The RS08 is brighter but in a lesser refined way not in the way of a deliberate tuning. Hard to describe. Rimshots on the V281 for instance sound more realistic/natural while a bit more piercing on the RS08. Treble is generally less brittle, more defined, not subdued.

Save your money for now, let your wallet heal, enjoy your gear for a good amount of time. Who knows what the road ahead reveals in the next few years. After the Niimbus series have seen their DACs, Amps and other devices the V281 could get an upgrade and facelift.
Until then there's no reason to shell out the big bucks. Bimby is a great DAC and will serve you and the RS08 very well.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #75 of 115
Did anyone had a chance to compare HPA RS 08 with CORDA CLASSIC-ff? On the paper they look very similar, according to reviews they both sound natural, transparent and detailed, and they are priced close to each other too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back