Lake People G108 impressions?
May 24, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 25
I was thinking about going balanced with Denon d9200 headphones. The cost of a new G108 makes doing this very attractive. I am using a RNHP because I like neutral amplification plus simple looking stuff, it gave my 1990s more authority in the bass for example.
While Lake People is also neutral sounding amplification, I asked myself if going balanced leads to sound improvement comparison to the RNHP.
I like most G108 for providing balanced and single-ended output, balanced input, neutral sound.

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 25
Received this amp this week. Should be able to take a few listens over the weekend and provide impressions. :)

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 25
Okay, so if you want a clean sounding amp with a small foot print that can be run balanced under 1k, G108 is probably one of if not the best you can get. This is one of those rare pieces that is so good you almost don't know what to say about it because you don't want to sound like you're not being objective. It doesn't really do anything wrong. You want to power your HD600 w a solid state amp? You can do that adequately. You want micro details, meaty note weight and layering, presented in what i feel is as neutral/clean a fashion as possible? Then this your amp. I don't know what else to say about it.

I have it hooked up to Taz and it sounds simply pristine. G108 is just a great little amp.

Including a few snap shots. First one for size comparison:

DSC_0106.JPG

Second one for a close up:

DSC_0104.JPG

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 25
Yea i had a nice couple of days w G108 but getting a Vioelectric amp has been a little dream of mine for a long time so I ultimately ended up w the V222. I may purchase the G108 again down the road. It's that good.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 25
Yea i had a nice couple of days w G108 but getting a Vioelectric amp has been a little dream of mine for a long time so I ultimately ended up w the V222. I may purchase the G108 again down the road. It's that good.
Compared to the G108, what do you like better or less about the V222?

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 25
Compared to the G108, what do you like better or less about the V222?

G108 is more of a tool to give you a window into the music. It's just presents the sound so clearly and is very neutral in character, even when paired with a warmer DAC like Taz. It was extremely good at presenting the sound in a layered, precise manner with excellent note weight and details. V222 is warmer. It's not a good pairing with TAZ. It pairs well with my Modius E DAC. I needed to swap out the cable Thomann sent with it for a Viborg MBU1501 to really bring out the limits of it's abilities. Once I did that the sound opened up with better dynamics and staging. With G108, it did not matter what cable i put with it. Without the Viborg cable G108 sounded better to me than V222. With the Viborg, V222 takes it. I'm getting a wide stage, with excellent placement, layering and details, with a very life-like timbre.

Another huge difference is with the power on hand the V222 possesses. G108 wasn't lacking with HD600, but I had less headroom and V222 has a better grip on the drivers. This is with me not even having raised the gain level from 0 yet on V222. It's like putting Storm Breaker up against Mjolnir in terms of power in Marvel terms.. V222 is a serious beast in the power department via balanced input/output. Probably the best I've heard w HD600 in terms of driver control. They both have similar build quality. Both have a nice compact footprint as well. I was actually surprised at the size of V222, as I was expecting it to be larger. It's the perfect size.

At the end of the day you can't really go wrong with either amp. It just depends on what your needs and preferences are. For my taste V222 took a bit of tweaking to get the best out of it, so that is a consideration. G108 was basically just plug and play excellence. It's just hard to beat V222 in terms of the kind of power/performance w this build quality you get with a small footprint.

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 25
I've had the G108 for about three weeks and I really enjoy the sound this little powerhouse puts out. I experimented with the various gain settings (there's 7 total) and with my RME DAC set at +7 dBu line-out/ VOL LOCK at -6 dB, leveling the G108 gain setting to 0 yielded the best results for my headphone collection. All my listening happens with the volume knob between 7 and 11 o'clock, so tons of headroom even at the 0 (default) gain setting. The G108 sounds less clinical to me than my previous Topping amps and pairs nicely with the detail-focused LCD-X and HD800. I would agree the G108 is neutral, clean and powerful.

I'm amazed at how compact this unit is on the desk, stacked on top of the RME. The whole package is much smaller than my previous Topping D90/A90 stack. I couldn't imagine going for another amp because I needed more power, but I will admit this has me curious about the 300 and 500 line of Violectric amps as an upgrade path. Though those amps are massive in size compared to the G108.

Update: I find the +6 dB gain setting gives me slightly better dynamics and low-end punch.

IMG_2286.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 25
Anyone else have experience with the G108? It seems to be marketed more as a pro audio product, but it looks good to me for general use. Too bad you have to open up the case to access the gain switches though.

By the way, it's currently on sale at Amazon and B&H.
I got the Lake people G-108 about 2 weeks ago and connected it through the XLR inputs to an Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer/DAC and I am extremely happy with the synergy between these two devices and the great sound coming out of my headphones.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpeg
    IMG_3801.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3802.jpeg
    IMG_3802.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 25
I've had my G108 for about 2 weeks, it's a very nice little unit. I have it connected to my keyboard/music production corner and it does exactly what I hoped. Super clean, potent, and neutral signature. It's pretty compact and build quality is high. I adjusted the dip switches internally to the +6db setting, which is perfect for the wide range of headphones that I use with it, and can drive all of them with ease. At the standard +0db setting it was a little lacking on my HD800S or my DT770. The +18db setting was too much for my needs. Very happy to have picked this up on sale price. Did not really need it but now it's a keeper. :)

vItXhtu.jpg

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 25
I'm probably going to purchase this amp again soon. I miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back