Laid-Off-Fi
Dec 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TheRobbStory

Banned
Welp, thanks to the current state of the economy and current state of satellite radio, I am out of work effective January 31st. I was informed of this upon my return to DC after a week in Florida with family and friends. Merry Effin' Christmas and a Happy Flippin' New Year.

Tomorrow, I will hit the ground running with a beefed up resume and an exhaustive shakedown of every industry contact I've made over the last year.

Anyone else going through the same thing? How are you coping? Is it okay to accept a lower-paying position with the intent of continuing a search for something better? What can I expect from unemployment? Do I have to buy new job interview pants, or are last season's still in style? How will the world continue to revolve without me at its helm? Is this thing on?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 20
Unless you work in the fashion industry, your future employer will not know last years style from this years or even next years.

Just brush up on how to write a winning resume, get your hair did, and shine.

You should have your own little business on the side so you have a back up. Im trying to do that now. Ive learned not to put all my eggs in one basket.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 20
I'm not laid off, but my job is terrible and I'm busily searching for a new one in my spare time, so I'm knowing the job-search frustration.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 20
Man, that sucks. Makes me almost glad i'm still a workforce refugee (grad student).

I was jobless during the 2003 recession (did it ever really end though?). After a few months I had the opportunity to sit down and make sure I really wanted to continue in the career I was in. As it turned out, I didn't.

Your pants are fine. You're supposed to look unconfortable in a suit when you interview - if you look to comfortable in it you'll just piss off your potential coworkers who will torpedo you in their comments to the hiring manager
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 20
Strong resume...yes. But don't forget about the all-important cover letter. Look and see if they offer any resume/cover letter writing seminars at your local college or employment office.

Also, you might want to try and get a headhunter's opinion of your resume at a job fair. Get a propessional's opinon of your cover letter and resume; not your friends or parents or friends of your parents, unless they just happen to be in a position of viewing/screening resumes.

Best of luck to you.

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 20
Did you work in Real Estate? Someone I know was laid-off in that industry as an escrow secretary. Edit: Oh, ok you worked in satellite radio. Well I hope you get something you can rely on.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it okay to accept a lower-paying position with the intent of continuing a search for something better?.

Whatever pays the bills is legit to do. Take what you can get and if you feel like you need more money or dont like the job then keep hunting on the side.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 20
my father has lost his job twice in the last year. the job search is a huge strain on the whole family, and we're in some serious debt. it affects all of us in different ways, from my parents who are now both without jobs, or my brother and I who are trying to make it in college without much money. the best thing you can do is just get yourself out there and apply for all the jobs you can, and take comfort in those who you enjoy being around.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Fortunately I am in a pretty secure job however I am trying to get out and in to another secure job. The drawback is I have to go back to school for three years at the likely expense of quitting my current job. I guess if I can survive the next three years bagging groceries or stocking shelves at Wal-Mart then it will be worth it since the new job will double my current salary.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 20
Don't loose your hope bros. just have faith in Him and He will provide all our needs in times like this.

"Keep the Faith"

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 20
I am simply happy I have a job that pays the bills.

I have found that the best way to go about looking for a new job is apply for everything, interview everywhere, and always keep a smile on your face. Act bashful. The employer wants to see humility and room to grow, but knowledge there also. If you're a strong thinker but you aren't "there yet" and haven't "made all your decisions" and aren't "set in your ways", it really makes an employer think "I can shape this guy into what I want him to be".

Granted, the older you get, the less this strategy works. However, the older you get, the more you have to work to show the potential employer that you can adapt (and the more knowledge you have to show at the same time). Double-edged sword here.

Best bet is to come off as communicable, humorous, and knowledgeable. I got where I am today because I know how to communicate to people outside my department, and I don't make others feel stupid because they haven't specialized in my field. This is the most important thing. Executives only want to know what works, not how it works. Just get it done and they're happy. If you make your supervisor feel like a moron, or berate him, or make a customer especially feel stupid, expect no raises and a potential pink slip soon.

Above all, humility keeps you afloat. Always believe you have room to grow, that your coworkers are just as important as you, and you will grow, you will make friends and you will have a job. I have firm belief in that.

(Side note: Those who make the best advances in the workplace spend around 30% of their day in office politics, just talking to people and building friendships. Think about it)

Also, keep personal things personal, and business business. Let others know you think the same way. If someone makes a business decision that hurts you, take that decision gracefully. If you must make a business decision, use your head, not your heart. Take the time you need to make the right decision, but trust your gut instinct as well, since it's usually right.

Appreciate your coworkers' knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask for help. They know more than you in many areas. That's a fact. No matter what you know, they know something better. Use them liberally as resources, and you will be rewarded with gems of knowledge.

Above all, take breaks when you need them, and always complete your tasks. Life is too short to stress, and the same can be said of not doing what needs to be done. Love what you do, get it done, and do it right.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 20
Thats sucks!
But with the current state of the economy its no shock that companies have to lay off some of their working force.

Best wishes!
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 20
I've got until the end of January with this company, so I've got time to look around.

I got some leads today with NPR and the Department of the Interior, so I got that going for me which is cool.

If you see a skinny white guy in a dirty suit trying to turn tricks on K Street after January 31st, be sure to tip well.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 20
I work with just about all the specialty stores in malls across the world. I get to see every day how the economy is effecting us. Couple chains we had have packed up, one just today.

I can't tell you how strange it feels to get a "farewell" email to a store chain that you were just working with not to long ago. Every time one of these places goes down, that's thousands upon thousands of workers going down along with them.

Myself I need to move to a different job. I can't afford to get my own place to live right now and I'm sure my mother and father are worried about it. (graduated college 2 years ago) Ad my fiance now going to grad school and having $75000 in debt, I really don't know how we'll pull through in the end. I just keep working, sometimes 2 jobs to prepare for the worst.

Keep your head high, thats the only place you'll find the light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back