lack of grado comfort seriously exaggerated?
Jan 26, 2005 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

brandoj

100+ Head-Fier
Well today I recieved my new pair of Grado SR-60's. I was a little uneasy about buying these because so many people say grado's are seriously lacking in the comfort department. When I put them on I was pleasantly surprised, I didn't think they were uncomfortable at all. I can see how they could be less comfortable than circumaural headphones, but still, they aren't bad at all. Some of you may be thinking, "Well he hasn't worn any super comfy headphones like the HD590's." Well see, my last pair of headphones were the 590's, so I know precisely how the pinnacle of comfort feels. I have worn these for about a straight hour or so now, and I'm really not having any problems. A little ear discomfort, but not bad at all. I guess everything everyone says on these forums is super relative...

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 32
yeah, ymmv. for me, it was all right at first, then it started getting annoying because i wear it for hours each day, so i decided to get the hideous schoolbus yellow hd414 pads. fortunately, i was able to dye it
smily_headphones1.gif
unfortunately, dyes wear off
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 32
I find my SR60 super comfortable (using earpads (large)from HeadRoom). I am thinking of upgrade to the SR325 but these SR60's sounds and feel so good that is difficult to get rid of them. My SR60 and my DT770-80 are the best set up for all type of music (for me). Probably, I will end up getting the 325i and keeping the SR60.
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 32
Flat pads are awesome.

Sure, I've never tried bowls, but I definitely have no problems with my flats when it comes to comfort.

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 32
and folks shouldnt be scared to bend that headband if it's too tight - just loosen it up so they reduce pressure, but don't slip off the ears. it's a bar of metal, it won't snap!

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
and folks shouldnt be scared to bend that headband if it's too tight - just loosen it up so they reduce pressure, but don't slip off the ears. it's a bar of metal, it won't snap!

agreed. the sr125 / bend / bowl pad is plenty comfy for me.

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 32
No matter what I did with them, they placed too much stress on my outer ears. Some of the pads just irritated me, but some are okay, but the stress of the weight on my outer ear never went away.

Wearing them for 10 minutes is okay, wearing them for anything longer than 30 minutes is way too fatiguing. The same way that some earbuds might feel fine at first, but after half a hour your ear starts to hurt.

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 32
I don'tm hvae any problems with my Alessandros, I was using the comfies for about 2 months until I could get the flats... I wore them religiously from about 3-10pm everyday, longer on weekends with only a minor discomfort in the last hour or so. The flats however, are a different story. While the sound is far better than the comfies, it feels like sandpaper and starts to hurt my ears after mayber 45 minutes or so, at which point I don the A500s or use the speakers.

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 32
Well, the sr-60 comes with comfies, which aren't too bad. A little itchy though. Most grados come with bowls, and that's what people don't like. I admit, the bowls are the most uncomfortable of the grado pads. But they sound good, so . . .

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

I do this, too, and it's actually recommended by people, I think, if the headphones seem to crush your ears too much.

It seems to help, but I still find the SR60 a bit uncomfortable anyway, and I've been using them for a while now.

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 32
I am about to return a set of Grado 225s because they are just too irritating to wear. I really wanted to like them, but I could only stand it for about 15 mins at a shot. I think it is the substance they use on the rim of the bowl pads - it just irritates my ears too much.

I do appreciate the Grado sound, but I just can't wear them long enough to enjoy them.

I am envious of those who have no issues. I am also glad I purchased from TTVJ with his return policy. He has been very easy to deal with and I'm exchanging for a different brand. Very helpful!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 32
I am with you.

I have been a proud member of Team Grado, but now it is time for my membership to cease existence. I simply cannot wear these headphones for long enough to enjoy them. The sound quality is incredible, and second to none, but if I'm studying for three hours at a time, the headphones distract me more than they help me cancel out the outside world. I need closed headphones that are comfortable, but I'd also like the headphones to be good for the music I enjoy (classic rock).

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding a solution to this problem.

I think the Grado comfort levels aren't exagerated at all. I was just like you, until I owned the headphones for three months
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 32
I don't have a huge problem with Grado headphones either. They're not uncomfortable per se, but they're definitely not comfortable. The people who are crying about comfort issues are the ones spoiled by the Sennheiser pillows
600smile.gif

Also, those who complain about comfort: have you tried the Sennheiser 414 ("vwap") pads? I haven't, although rumor is, they help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back