lack of grado comfort seriously exaggerated?
Jan 27, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 32
It is a little known fact that Grado bowls were used during The Inquisition
280smile.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by KbdKid
It is a little known fact that Grado bowls were used during The Inquisition
280smile.gif

I think you mean triports. =)

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #19 of 32
I found my MS-2s to be pretty comfortable. I prefer them to things like the A500s that many say are comfortable. I bought them from Jahn and I presume he bent the headband when he had them. Maybe that is the key.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I am with you.

I have been a proud member of Team Grado, but now it is time for my membership to cease existence. I simply cannot wear these headphones for long enough to enjoy them. The sound quality is incredible, and second to none, but if I'm studying for three hours at a time, the headphones distract me more than they help me cancel out the outside world. I need closed headphones that are comfortable, but I'd also like the headphones to be good for the music I enjoy (classic rock).

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding a solution to this problem.

I think the Grado comfort levels aren't exagerated at all. I was just like you, until I owned the headphones for three months
frown.gif

I call first dibs on your 225's, Sorry standard shotgun rules

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #21 of 32
Exaggeration, on head-fi? Never.
biggrin.gif

Try for yourself. Everyone is different. I found bowls uncomfortable, but the flats solved the problem for me.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I call first dibs on your 225's, Sorry standard shotgun rules

Damn! Foiled again. First, no front seat. Now, no grados. Whats next, no soup for you! b/c that guy called first dibs.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 32
My problem actually isn't with the pads at all but with the band. I think it must cut off some blood flow in my head or something since after about an hour I end up with a splitting headache
smily_headphones1.gif

With my grados I tend to keep the rocking out to 30-45 min increments.

m

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 32
Eh, I always joke around about Grado comfort, soundstage, etc, but it's meant to be taken with a grain of salt, as are all my posts (well a ton of salt, more likely). As always, YMMV, but I find that supra-aural phones are uncomfortable for me because I wear glasses, and lots of pressure on my ears tends to press them against the sides of my glasses, which starts hurting after a while. Of course, with serious listening, I take glasses off, but when your vision is -5/-7, you gotta wear the damn things if you want to do anything other than vegetate.

On the other hand, the glasses tend to "lift up" the pads on supra-aural headphones, preventing them from getting a seal. With circum-aural headphones, there's no such problem.

As I said, YMMV. I find the SR-001 to be decently comfortable, which means you might find me crazy
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Damn! Foiled again. First, no front seat. Now, no grados. Whats next, no soup for you! b/c that guy called first dibs.

I smell auction!
cool.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #25 of 32
They take some getting used to, at least that's my experience. I was at a LAN party 3 days after getting my SR60's in the mail and after like 2-3 hours of gaming my ears were about burning, friends thought it was funny cause they were pretty red.

That was a while ago though, apparently my ears have toughened, about fell asleep with them on a couple days ago.

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #26 of 32
Ordered a pair of SR-60's from Headroom once. Couldn't stand the feel. Hated it in fact and returned them very fast. Doubt I could ever get used to those things...and IMO earcups should not swivel...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #27 of 32
For me, the bowl pads that came with my SR-80's are the most uncomfortable things I have ever experienced. They feel like sandpaper! I really thought I had made a huge mistake (I also think they sound like crap). However, when I got the Senn 414 pads it was like night and day. Worlds better sound and comfort increased unbelieveably. I haven't tried flats but I would recommend the modded Senn pads to any and all Grado owners. It really is a shame the John Grado doesn't seem to care what his customers think.

cool.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon

That was a while ago though, apparently my ears have toughened, about fell asleep with them on a couple days ago.

It's good to know you can sleep with them. I have been sleeping buddies with hp-2's, ms-2's, rs-1's, hd600's, sony r-10's. My favourite to sleep with are the rs-1's. I quite like the r-10's but it tends to get quite hot.
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
It's good to know you can sleep with them. I have been sleeping buddies with hp-2's, ms-2's, rs-1's, hd600's, sony r-10's. My favourite to sleep with are the rs-1's. I quite like the r-10's but it tends to get quite hot.
tongue.gif

You're lucky, I can't sleep with anything on, from Grado style headphones to the crappy ones that come with CD players to even my Shure E2c's. Maybe it's because I sleep on my side and it pushes into my ear too much...

My head is not very large and pretty thin so that might be why my Alessandros feel just fine. I have the comfie pads for now and they have been wonderful. Really, I like how they balance on my head and it is a great line between cranking too hard and not enough. All happy in this boat
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back