Labtec Elite 840 take the cheap/quality headphone crown. Beating all hi-cans for $30
Oct 21, 2001 at 2:25 PM Post #61 of 108
Quote:

Don't think because it looks cool, definitely have to be related to the quality.

Erm - I wouldn't be SO sure. It's possible, but it's ALSO possible the price and look are popular....I mean, look at Sony StreetStyles - super popular in the U.S., and they have a presentation which jumps out at you - bright treble, boomy bass, and cold, kinda recessed mids. My friend has them - and can't concede the KSC-35 OR 888s superiority over them....

rolleyes.gif

I'm waiting, tho.....

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:47 PM Post #62 of 108
Quote:

And they are as knowledgeable in headphones as you guys are. (after I read them discussing in terms of technical details which I didn't quite understand at all!)

Keep in mind that a lot of people who don't really know a lot about audio and/or good sound tend to talk in terms of technical details
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 6:41 PM Post #65 of 108
Quote:

Notice that he DID say that it sounds better then the 125s and comparable to 580s. I personally don't even believe that this guy owns the 125s and the 580s.

I can definitely see how he can say something about this headphone sounding better than the SR-125's. I had the Alessandro MS-1's for about 2-3 weeks and fell in love with them when I first heard them. But it wasn't the overall headphone, it was only the bass impact that I was missing from my HD580's that I was when I bought the MS-1's. I wasn't heary any of that peaky or harsh treble that people sometimes associate with non-RS Grados, so the sound seemed kind of dull in the upper frequencies, hence less detailed. In that respect, if someone really prefers that airyness and detail, but is only getting bass impact and a nice midrange, it would make sense to like another headphone, regardless of price, if it can provide what is wanted. You can't say "oh, these HAVE to be better headphones than that cheap one because they're _Grados_".

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #68 of 108
Quote:

Who knew that this headphone would cause such mayhem?

LOL... I just finally read the whole title to the thread:

"Labtec Elite 840 take the cheap/quality headphone crown. Beating all hi-cans for $30"

First part: maybe
Second part: um... maybe this is where the controversy started
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #69 of 108
Yes this is exactly what I was implying before. The thread title as "telephoned" in on this site is a bit different than the thread title on headwize which is more to the effect of best headphone under $30. LOL.

Ahhh...its beautiful to see such quick information mangling both upwards and downwards.

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #70 of 108
No offence, though I'm not qualified to judge the others' English since I am not a native speaker myself, I sometimes found Temjin's language a little confusing.....maybe it's just me...dunno.

Oct 21, 2001 at 8:56 PM Post #72 of 108
It still seems to be the "price" that makes everyone so doubtful and skeptical about these headphones. Like I said in an earlier post; what if they were priced at $49.99 or $79.99? Would people be less doubtful and less skeptical that they may actually be very good? Are they afraid that these headphones may actually sound better than headphones which they own that cost 5 times the price? I'm not saying that the Elite 840's will blow everything else away and are definitely better than "any" $150 headphone. But,by what I have read so far in this thread,the "price tag" is one of the main reasons why people find it hard to beleive. Who knows why they are priced so low,I'm not a businessman or marketing expert.

If you like them,that's great,enjoy them. If you think they suck,just return them and enjoy the headphones that "you" think are the best to your ears.

Oct 21, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #73 of 108
Magic 77, while I agree (and I think most here would) that price does not necessarily equal quality, many here have owned and auditioned many different headphones and a lot of the time, you get what you pay for. That's why detailed and comparative reviews are better, which is why this flaming started in the first place - a review with claims about an unfamiliar pair of headphones without references to sources and music used.

Why am I skeptical? Well, I've never ever heard a sub-50 dollar headphone that I prefer over my SR-125's, or SR-60's for that matter. If the Labtecs really are better, I can sell my 125's and get six pairs. Win/win.

Oct 21, 2001 at 9:19 PM Post #74 of 108
Quote:

KR, UPS tracking says they should be here Tuesday

Nice, hey this may be the most important review a little robot with headphones has ever done.
YYicon57.gif

Quote:

If the Labtecs really are better, I can sell my 125's and get six pairs. Win/win.

What are you going to do with 6 pairs?
heks.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #75 of 108
Quote:

Like I said in an earlier post; what if they were priced at $49.99 or $79.99? Would people be less doubtful and less skeptical that they may actually be very good?

If they were priced four times higher with the same materials, then no
wink.gif

Quote:

Nice, hey this may be the most important review a little robot with headphones has ever done.

LOL, Mr. Halloween
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back