LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport - ALO, AUDEZE, CENTRANCE, HiFiMAN, HRT, SCHIIT
May 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #151 of 225
Show was really fun, bit bummed I missed head-fi lunch meet up but still had a great time. I'll write some more and share some pics once I get to my desktop.

Awesome thanks. I'd love to get a few of the "must see" spots in a list.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #152 of 225
Quote:
ATTN: Head-FIers currently at THE Show:

We're sitting for lunch for The Waterfalls Cafe - at The Atrium!!!

Stop in an say hello!!!!

Lunch was good, company was great!  Had a totally chill time with mikemercer, Tyll Hertsens, shiorisekine, and weirdfishes! 
smile.gif

Mike maybe lunch tomorrow should be a tad earlier at 11:30?  Since the headphone discussion panel is at 1:00 p.m.?

Quote:
I might be coming down tomorrow or sunday. Any word on what the various vendors brought out? 

Yeah, you'll want to hear the CEntrance M8.  Bring balanced cans if you got them, otherwise you're at the mercy of the LCD-2, LCD-3 or DT880 they've got on hand.  HiFiMan debuted the RE-600 there today.  If you like IEMs at all, you're gonna want to get a crack at those.  Also, the HM-901 was in da house. 
smile.gif
  Heard the AK120 there today... not bad at all.  I could definitely grow to like that little thing.  Schiit's got a pair of Mad Dogs hooked up to a Magni/Modi stack (for anyone that has yet to hear the Mad Dogs).  And Audez'e was there of course.  That's only one small area too, there's so much stuff everywhere all sprawled out.  I'll be back there tomorrow going over some stuff I missed from that room... and then hitting some of the other areas.

BTW, if you're considering skipping the Headphone Panel Discussion, don't.  It was insightful, and fun.  Definitely worth going to.

Quote:
Show was really fun, bit bummed I missed head-fi lunch meet up but still had a great time. I'll write some more and share some pics once I get to my desktop.

frown.gif
  Totally missed you...

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #153 of 225
Also, BIG SHOUT OUT to Mike Mercer!  Seriously guys, if you knew how hard this guy worked to put everything together, you'd be amazed.  And he doesn't get to rest at night either, as he's spinning two nights back-to-back! 
eek.gif
  Bravo Mike, bravo! 
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #155 of 225
Quote:
Sorry I missed the lunch meetup. I told myself I was going to check out the headphones for just a few minutes...then BAM it's 12:40!

LOL, I actually got there waaayyy later than I had hoped.  Didn't even arrive until like 12:20 p.m.  As it turms out, just in time for the end of Mike's interview. 
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #156 of 225
Would it be cumbersome to carry around some cans for the event? For comparison sake.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #157 of 225
Quote:
Room 318 right?

Yep -- Atrium 318 -- that's the one. The Coffman H1-A is currently hooked up to a Parasound CD1 which is a really nice player. So if anyone wants to bring their own CD to listen, feel free!

I also visited several booths downstairs in the headphone area.  Among many great things, I really liked Astell & Kern's hi rez portable players which I hadn't experience in detail before.

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #158 of 225
Would it be cumbersome to carry around some cans for the event? For comparison sake.

No, not at all. Although, I wouldn't carry too many. One reference headphone that you know well should do it. And if you like IEMs, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring along something low impedance but high sensitivity with which to test portable amps with.

I also visited several booths downstairs in the headphone area.  Among many great things, I really liked Astell & Kern's hi rez portable players which I hadn't experience in detail before.

+1. I was pleasantly surprised by that as well. I was previously leaning towards the DX100 (or maybe the DX50), but my audition has now thrown all that into question.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #159 of 225
Alright so first off i indicated on the map where I parked since I drove around for like 10 minutes confused where I was able to park and that's when I found out parking was full at around noon and I should park here. Cost $5 for parking. I went to registration at the Hilton, quite a long line and employees there were nice but really didn't know about info on the Atrium and vice versa. Most headphone action going to go down at the Atrium by the pool in the Bougainvillea ballroom.

First when you enter the area is the astell & kern setup with quite a nice choice of headphones out their ak 120, really nice player. Really slick, compact and powerful. Trying out my brainwavz b2 with them.

In the ball room is hifiman on the left with their new audio player. Rather large, bit slow but real powerful had fun with them.

The re-400 :D

And the re-600! Bad pictures since I forgot about changing my phones camera settings. I like what I heard with them, $399 iirc. Thought I had taken a few more pics of them but I didn't and didn't know it was the big reveal of them today, sorry!

At the schiit table we of course have the sennheiser hd800 hooked up with the mjolnir and the gungnir.

The adorable little magni and modi with the Mr. Speakers. Along with my adapter that I brought for size comparison. And then my dt 770 right on top of them.

Then the asgard 2 and bitfrost and my dt 770 side by side.

Alo audio and centrance deserve a shout out, forgot to nab a few pics of their gear but had a great time with their stuff and the guys there. And me with the hd 800

Perfect sound I never heard of before I attended but had fun listening to their new stuff. And my camera proves to make their headphones look somewhat blurry.

Audeze brought along their woo audio wa7, always wanted to hear it and hearing it through the lcd 3 was real sweet. No matter how blurry i look.

Elite a/v and Bob Hodas, great guys,had a nice talk with them :p

Mozaez with their truly unique headphones, 10 speakers or drivers in the headphone. Subwolfer literally shakes the headphones, truly a different experience. Great setup.

The cable company at the hilton with quite the selection of headphones. Can't see the he-6 well and the beyerdynamic t1 in the pic.

Their big setup.

Got to try the abyss and snapped a pic of me with the ps1000 i believe.

Second floor final audio design with some more ak 120. Some really nice iems, made with chrome copper, stainless steel, brass, abs. Japanese company, love the construction on their stuff. Ranges from dynamic drivers to balanced armature drivers.

They had some cans too! Snapped a pic of myself with them and then I must of took it twice since my second pic looks all silly.

Was most of the headphone pictures I had, other various pictures.

The headphone panel before it started, missing Mr. Cardas

Tubes *drool*

Vinyl player :)

Neat amp

The little Mercedes that wanted to fly.

Could not figure out what car this was.

Shame I missed out on meeting more head-fiers. Only brought my brainwavz b2 and beyerdynamic dt 770 and kept them in my bag most of the time and they weren't too cumbersome to carry around. Think I should have brought my he-400but that might cross the line of headphones getting in the way.

Audioengine were also a pretty cool room to check out, great people there.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jun 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #161 of 225
Hey Netforce, I remember you! 
smile.gif
  I think we were around Perfect Sound's setup around noon.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #162 of 225
Just listened to the ak120. So sweet. Super friendly at Astell & Kern

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #163 of 225
So is lunch at 1130 or noon then?

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #165 of 225
At waterfalls correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back