LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport - ALO, AUDEZE, CENTRANCE, HiFiMAN, HRT, SCHIIT
Jun 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #181 of 225
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's hard to tell from pics but that thing sat unbelievably low to the ground, amirite Netforce.  It made the Aventador look tall!

Lol yup, I wish I knew about the car show earlier. Only saw the few cars when I was walking round the venue after the show had mostly closed along with the tennis court.

I knew there was a car show, but I could only catch glimpses in between walking around.  It seemed like I was always late for one meeting or another and was playing catch up the whole time.  Wasn't until last night that I could really chill out.

Quote:

And don't worry about the July meet, I'll definitely be there 
beyersmile.png

beerchug.gif

Quote:

I used the hm901 after I used the ak120 and thought it was touchscreen, the lovely hifiman people smiled at my confusion 
etysmile.gif

LOL, I did the opposite kinda.  I didn't know the AK120 was a touchscreen (you, because the screen isn't all big and full-fascia) and started looking around for controls.

Quote:

The hm901 felt a bit slow when changing tracks and adjust the time

Yeah there was a slight lag.  It didn't bother me so much at the show, but I can imagine where having to live with it day in and day out might be a problem.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #182 of 225
The show was fun!

Saw Tyll, I was going to say hi, but he was working. Saw him at the HiFiMan booth. He then went over and shot the Schiit. Waved sheepishly at Jason Stoddard, who was just chilling.

My gf was not terribly impressed with headphones (she said "they all sounded the same"). She did ask lots of questions with the ALO guys, though.

She was impressed with some of the speaker vendors, however. She kept hinting that her and I should buy Totem speakers. :D

The embarrassing part about the whole trip there? I brought my camera and forgot to take pictures! :frowning2:

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #183 of 225
The show was fun!

She was impressed with some of the speaker vendors, however. She kept hinting that her and I should buy Totem speakers. :D

You should get totem speakers! And they're made with love in my home town :p

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #184 of 225
Pictures from the show:

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #186 of 225
I knew there was a car show, but I could only catch glimpses in between walking around.  It seemed like I was always late for one meeting or another and was playing catch up the whole time.  Wasn't until last night that I could really chill out.

See, I would have forgotten about the headphone stuff, right there. :wink_face:

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #187 of 225
I will post impressions of gear tomorrow as well as my over all event overview. Just waking up and headed to the Roxy for a rock N roll show :p but real quick I had a blast hanging those of you I met yesterday, I am looking forward to growing these new friendships! A lot of the gear let me down yesterday but none of the people I met from here did! That is awesome.

Mike Mercer you rock in so many way, thanks for taking care of me when my night went sideways.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #188 of 225
Quote:

Saw Tyll, I was going to say hi, but he was working. Saw him at the HiFiMan booth. He then went over and shot the Schiit. Waved sheepishly at Jason Stoddard, who was just chilling.

LOL, you should go say hi anyways! 
biggrin.gif
  Super nice guys and they'd be totally cool with you saying hi I promise.

Quote:
Pictures from the show:

Nice!  Hey Magick, let me introduce you to the silver thing above.  It's called an ALO Studio Six.  And when it comes out (it's not for sale yet) you're gonna want to take it for a spin.

Quote:
Loving the pictures kokushu 
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

See, I would have forgotten about the headphone stuff, right there.
wink_face.gif

Not if I was there... I wouldn't have let you.  Plus, they were all roped off with "DO NOT TOUCH" decals everywhere.  They were just displays.

Quote:
I will post impressions of gear tomorrow as well as my over all event overview. Just waking up and headed to the Roxy for a rock N roll show
tongue.gif
but real quick I had a blast hanging those of you I met yesterday, I am looking forward to growing these new friendships! A lot of the gear let me down yesterday but none of the people I met from here did! That is awesome.

Mike Mercer you rock in so many way, thanks for taking care of me when my night went sideways.

Same here!  Hey Kevin, if you don't have some kind of gig to go to after the upcoming L.A. meet, we should all just get a crash pad there so no one has to drive home all messed up and stuff.  I can already tell that - for some of us - the meet isn't ending at 5:00 p.m.
And yes, Mike is a bro through and through! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #189 of 225
quick impression:  I thought the centrance hifi m8 was really good.  I was able to get it to play on my ipad3 and macbookpro.  Its hard to judge at the meet, but from what I remember it sound as good if not better than the CLAS I used to have.  Its also power my HD800 although although barely, but I do listen to music kind of loud.  Its have about as much power as my stepdance 2 i think.   I have it preorder and can't wait to  get it and mess around with it more.  Michael said it should be good to go in about a week or two.

I really like the new ak120.  Look good and sound good with most headphones.  Except for my 2 high end : HD800 and LCD2.

I was really dissapointed with HM901.  The UI still have a lot of trouble and the control is awkward.  Its also sound good but still can't power my high end headphones.  Between the ak120 and HM901 I think i like the ak120 more.

The suprise of the show for me was the cardas earspeaker.  I think it was around $500 but sound really good for iem that I have heard at that price.

The abyss headphone look weird but I didn't have the chance to listen to it.

The Studio Six sound great but I hadn't listen to amp at $4000+ so I can't really compare, but it definitely better than my WA6.

All of the Perfect Sound headphone look awesome but they just sound okay.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #190 of 225
Not if I was there... I wouldn't have let you.  Plus, they were all roped off with "DO NOT TOUCH" decals everywhere.  They were just displays.

Perhaps. :wink: There weren't any attendants or company reps at all? What kind of a show is that? Surely there was someone there who had authority to sell things, and I'm really good at getting a salesman's attention. :D

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #191 of 225
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps.
wink.gif
There weren't any attendants or company reps at all? What kind of a show is that? Surely there was someone there who had authority to sell things, and I'm really good at getting a salesman's attention.
biggrin.gif

Nope. I get the distinct impression that it was one of two scenarios:  (a) bunch of dudes from a local car club got talked into parking their cars there for a day; or (b) a broker/flipper got talked into doing the same in return for a little exposure.  No idea what the actual deal was.  It was nice getting a good look mind you, but it wasn't a very interactive experience.  Not that I'm in the market anyway... 
redface.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #192 of 225
Quote:
I will post impressions of gear tomorrow as well as my over all event overview. Just waking up and headed to the Roxy for a rock N roll show
tongue.gif
but real quick I had a blast hanging those of you I met yesterday, I am looking forward to growing these new friendships! A lot of the gear let me down yesterday but none of the people I met from here did! That is awesome.

Bro - just knowing we part of the same global family (we found out ya'll that moreserotonin and I have many mutual friends all over the globe through underground electronic music) - you can crash on my floor again ANYDAY.  As a matter of fact - once we're moved back up North (end of July) you guys gotta come up!

I wanna get w/ some peeps up there to arrange a Bay Area massive event!

I'm honored to know that you trust my written words moreserotonin!!

THANKS TO EVERY HEAD-FIER that came, joined in the thread, sent me a PM (those really f__in touched me guys.  I been in this a long time - and I just had a BLAST!
I'm glad THE Show opened it's eyes a little bit now.  So, next year we coordinate w/ the regional meet maybe, so we can use one to promote the other!
I'm down to do what I gotta do to help..

The ALO Studio Six was superb. I own the E.A.R HP4 (so I have a reference for that price point at least) and I'm eager to experience both of these amazing headphone amps and write about the journey!! Impressions coming SOON! - I have the black one here at home right now! I feel like a kid at Chanukah
- I'm fighting myself to not open the box.

and Drew's new Moon Audio Silver Dragon Audeze LCD3 cable is WICKED.
It's mind-boggling - but it just brings out the gestalt of the music.  If you own a LCD3s check em out:

I should have a full production HiFi-M8 in a couple weeks too.
it was the last project I worked on when I worked at CEntrance, and
I can't wait to live with it for awhile to truly experience it.
I know Michael will make something special

ALSO:

right now - Perfect over-tired, crazily wired system rockin me right now:

Cardas EM 5813 Ear Speakers:
they do not sound like IEMs to me! - there's so much air, thus far.
Their dimensionality (sense of space between instruments/sounds) and open-ness in the midrange is something I've only heard in over or on-ear!  and I LOVE my JH Audio JH-13 Freqphase)
+
HRT microStreamer

Spotify Premium as source...
VERY surprising

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #193 of 225
Thanks for all who stopped by to listen and thanks Mike for the help with setting the show up for the personal audio clan. 

Great show! we really enjoyed talking to everyone and finally having the Studio Six all wrapped up and ready to go. We could not be more happy with the impressions we got over the last 3 days on the amps performance. Sorry we did not bring and of our portable amps! we just wanted to focus all out effort on our new flagship, the Studio Six. The Studio Six will be for sale this month June 25. We will add the product to the webpage when we get back home this week.

It was great to see everyone! Cant wait for the next show.

Ken and ALO crew.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #195 of 225
THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO CAME OUT
and to those who just participated in the discussion!!

As a matter of fact - Thanks to all my fellow Head-FIers!!!!

I'm still decompressing, but boy it's easier listening to this while doing so...

I WHOLLY APPRECIATE ALL THE KIND WORDS AND SUPPORT
Seriously, it means the world to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back