L3000 - Way Overrated?
Dec 14, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #76 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i came pretty much to the same conclusion when i heard the two side by side at a recent meet.

I'm going to have to run this test again using the DHA3000 (maybe at an upcoming meet). Now I think the L3000 might win for all types of music. The main reason the W5000 won last time is the L3000 was a little too thick. Now with a more neutral sound it might take the lead. Last time, even though the instruments sounded more realistic, everything was just a little too closed in for classical.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #77 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the DHA-3000 amp/dac combo for my L3000 and it brings them to another level. In my previous setup, the L3000 sound really good with lots of texture but was missing the punch of the PS-1 and was a little thick. You had to listen for a while to be amazed.

With the DHA-3000, you are instantly wowed. My music has the bass punch again but with very deep controlled bass that is never even slightly bloated like the PS-1. It also brings out the highs which takes away the thicker sound. It's been a while since I heard the PS-1 but I'd say my L3000 now sounds closer to them but with incredible soundstage and comfort.

I was already using a Mac as my source, so having to use only one device for the digital output was perfect. It takes up less space and looks beautiful.

The only negative aspect I can see is I believe my previous DAC might have been a little better. It seemed to have more texture and smoother vocals. The DHA-3000 is much better overall because of the system matching and the amp section. I did hear my previous DAC with the Corda Opera anolog input, and while it brought control to the bass, it still had too thick of a sound.

Anyway, I think the L3000 really needs to be heard with the DHA-3000 before making any judgements.

That what I've been saying all along with the L3000 and DHA3000. Given the going rate for the DHA3000, it is a bargain. Anyone please tell me where can you get an amp and source that was design for your headphone for less than $1700. Nomad, AYT999, Mbratud, Fing, and myself all think pretty highly of the DHA3000. The amplifier section and DAC on the DHA3000 is pretty tough to beat. Of course, the my L3000s do sound better on my SDS-SE + mod Sony SCD-777ES, but that is for a significant more money.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #78 of 160
I have now gotten the L3000 balanced (bought Afrikane's pair and then sold my stock pair) and matched it with the RudiStor RPX-100. This really is a match made in heaven and brought the sound up several levels from EarMax AE + single ended. Just going from single ended to balanced on the RudiStor is a level in it self. Only problem is that the setup is so sensitive that a fair bit of hiss is present. Rudi has offered me that I can send the amp+phones back to him and he'll tune the amp specifically for my phones, and he'll even pay shipping both ways, can you beleive it. So the setup will be going to Italy in the new year.

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #79 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That what I've been saying all along with the L3000 and DHA3000. Given the going rate for the DHA3000, it is a bargain. Anyone please tell me where can you get an amp and source that was design for your headphone for less than $1700. Nomad, AYT999, Mbratud, Fing, and myself all think pretty highly of the DHA3000. The amplifier section and DAC on the DHA3000 is pretty tough to beat. Of course, the my L3000s do sound better on my SDS-SE + mod Sony SCD-777ES, but that is for a significant more money.

Yeah, I thought about just getting a new amp and keeping my DAC but then I wouldn't be guaranteed a better sound. I also was able to break even selling my amp, dac, and RCA cables. Plus, I had to know what the intended sound was.

The new setup loses a little bit of the lushness it had but is greatly improved in rock. I noticed my previous setup sounded worse than the PS-1 when I was listening to Porcupine Tree. They're not my favorite band but the album is very well recorded and shows off the bass and drums. Everything seemed too loose and slightly rounded sounding. Not quite muddy but not enough precision. I figured if this one album could be improved, all my music could be as well.

With the DHA3000, it sounds even better than I remember it sounded with the PS-1. The drums now are precise and tight sounding. Even with this tighter sound, the L3000 still sounds fun without be overly technical. This was one of the PS-1 stregths as well.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #80 of 160
well ... despite the high price, my interest in the ATH L3000s has never waned, so when a pair recently became available on the for sale market, in very good condition with all paperwork and other accessories and from someone who i have met and spoken to personally, i decided that if i were to ever own them, now was the time, and concluded the transaction. as an added benefit, at least the way i see it but not from a purist perspective, the headphones have been recabled with the most recent APS cable with top of the line Furutech rhodium-plated XLR connectors. but i am receiving the stock cable as well, in case i want to revert the headphones back to their original form. it is the most money i have ever spent on a headphone, but i think it was a good purchase and should give me much audio enjoyment. i should have them this weekend. i don't think i'll be going out much.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #81 of 160
Quote:

well ... despite the high price, my interest in the ATH L3000s has never waned, so when a pair recently became available on the for sale market, in very good condition with all paperwork and other accessories and from someone who i have met and spoken to personally, i decided that if i were to ever own them, now was the time, and concluded the transaction. as an added benefit, at least the way i see it but not from a purist perspective, the headphones have been recabled with the most recent APS cable with top of the line Furutech rhodium-plated XLR connectors. but i am receiving the stock cable as well, in case i want to revert the headphones back to their original form. it is the most money i have ever spent on a headphone, but i think it was a good purchase and should give me much audio enjoyment. i should have them this weekend. i don't think i'll be going out much.

You are very lucky.. You have the amp & headphone I want..

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #82 of 160
Quote:

So you scored that deal, eh? Sweet move - the L3000 is an amazing bass performer. Personally I wish AT had tuned them a bit differently though. But to each his own! One day I'll own the other great discontinued low-impedance bass monster, the PS-1.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #83 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are very lucky.. You have the amp & headphone I want..

if you ever make your way over to the east coast, you are more than welcome to stop by and give them a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you scored that deal, eh? Sweet move - the L3000 is an amazing bass performer. Personally I wish AT had tuned them a bit differently though. But to each his own! One day I'll own the other great discontinued low-impedance bass monster, the PS-1.
tongue.gif

i am interested in the PS1s are well. when does it end.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #84 of 160
Quote:

if you ever make your way over to the east coast, you are more than welcome to stop by and give them a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

i am interested in the PS1s are well. when does it end

It may end when you own a nice speaker system or when you have the R10 or HE90.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #85 of 160
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

i am interested in the PS1s are well. when does it end.
tongue.gif

Thank you..

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #86 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know at least 2 people have told me that they bought them with the intention of selling them after a few months, just to experience them. If you have the capital and get them at a good price there is no cost involved, and you own them for a few months...

This is a very reasonably position.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #87 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may end when you own a nice speaker system or when you have the R10 or HE90.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

an L3000 and R10 combination would be formidable indeed and a nice complement to each other. after almost two straight days on the L3000, a few things stand out.

the L3000s are very emotional involving. the music feels alive in a certain sense - almost palpable. like the 650, the music is textured and layered and the sound is full and rich. but the bass is better (more impactful) and the detail and imaging is slightly more precise. the sound is also a bit forward in comparison. the soundstage of the L3000 is of reasonable quality although it is by no means large. it has good structure though - things seem to be placed well. the height is somewhat average, but the width (left to right imaging) is actually very good. as mentioned, the bass on these things is first rate, probably the best i have heard in terms of quantity and general impact. it is strong and hits hard but also does not seem to impinge on the other sonic frequencies. the bass is strong yet balanced. i would describe the L3000 as having great bass with a generally smooth, fluid sound and a nice tone.

as for musical genres, they are especially good for rock and pop. drums and most any percussion sounds just amazing. they also work well for jazz and other softer/slower or more intimate works. i think the female voice sounds extremely natural on them - the headphone imparts a nice warmth and almost sultriness to female voices. male voices are just as good - they have good authority, breath and weight. piano sounds very natural too. i have yet to try them with any classical, but may be pleasantly surprised. i have heard them on previous occasions and they did not sound ideal with violin - the highs seemed somewhat muted or to lack crispness. but piano sounds right, as does guitar - both seem tonally accurate.

as for some potential cons, although the detail and imaging is very good, there is sometimes a certain hazz (like things are being smoothed over or together) or a muffled feeling to the music (maybe a product of it being closed). other than that, the L3000 is very impressive. i plan to listen to them for a few days or so and then i will start to compare them to some of my other headphones. after i do that, i should have a better sense of what they can do and if my initial impressions are more or less correct.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #88 of 160
Quote:

as for some potential cons, although the detail and imaging is very good, there is sometimes a certain hazz (like things are being smoothed over or together) or muffled feeling to the music (maybe a product of it being closed). other than that, the L3000 is very impressive. i plan to listen to them for a few days or so and then i will start to compare them to some of my other headphones. after i do that, i should have a better sense of what they can do and if my initial impressions are more or less correct.

That very slightly muffled sound completely went away when I switched to the DHA3000. It now has a very clean and crisp sound while still retaining the warmth. It lost a little bit of lushness but still has enough to keep these musical and never analytical.

Since I mostly listen to rock, I have no desire to seek another headphone. The HE90 did not do that well with noisy electric guitar and the R10 has too big of a soundstage for me. I fell in love the Grado sound and worked my way up to the PS-1. The L3000 was the only headphone that I liked more.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #89 of 160
vcoheda,

Quote:

That very slightly muffled sound completely went away when I switched to the DHA3000. It now has a very clean and crisp sound while still retaining the warmth. It lost a little bit of lushness but still has enough to keep these musical and never analytical.

Since I mostly listen to rock, I have no desire to seek another headphone. The HE90 did not do that well with noisy electric guitar and the R10 has too big of a soundstage for me. I fell in love the Grado sound and worked my way up to the PS-1. The L3000 was the only headphone that I liked more.

As good as the DHA3000 is for the L3000, you might want to give a Singlepower Supra upgraded with high voltage option a try. A sense of power and dynamics coming from the L3000 w/ my SDS/Supra is nothing short of breathtaking and a level or two above my upgraded DHA3000. However, the DHA3000 represents a better value than the any thing I've tried due to the DAC & Amp combination features. I have my DHA3000 upgraded with blackgates capcitors as my work system and together with the L3000, the combo really make everyday a great working day. BTW, I agree with you that the L3000 is a real rocker dream comes true.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #90 of 160
I have had the L3000 for 2½ years now and love them but have recently bought a balanced GS-1000 and at least for classical I find that they are better. My problem is that most of the time I have to use a closed can and have found nothing better than the L3000 (did no like the R10 that much). My present L3000/GS-1000 combo is going to last me a very long time indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back