L3000 - Way Overrated?
Sep 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would agree that the L3000 isn't neutral-sounding, but that's not necessarily a negative. The K701 is more neutral-sounding to me, but the K701 can also seem bland and lacking in emotion compared to the L3000. The L3000 has plenty of "soul" and I think that's a good thing.

Totally agree. I also like to have some "soul" to my cans
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard, from someone who owns L3k and K340 ( fully modded ), that those two are very close in sound sig.
wink.gif

That must be me. I have done a lot more listening to both since then and have also gotten hold of a set of Koss A250 (my first open headphone) and the world ain't simple. If I could only keep one it would be the L3000's no contest but both the others outperform them at one track or another as did dennyL's K701 so there just is not THE one end all headphone. I could live with all of them (well no I don't think I could live with the K701 as my only phone) and be very happy.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #33 of 160
I currently own a set of L3000 and had them since day 1. I don't consider them to be overrated for my listen needs but can see where others may. It all depends on what type of sound you're after and how well the L3000 will synergize with your current set up.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 160
I don't believe they're over rated. I think the impeccable craftmanship makes them worth their asking price. But to me, they were purchased for one reason only: ROCK. To summarize how they perform: L3000s rock sooo hard!
cool.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #35 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe they're over rated. I think the impeccable craftmanship makes them worth their asking price. But to me, they were purchased for one reason only: ROCK. To summarize how they perform: L3000s rock sooo hard!
cool.gif

Sum up pretty nicely. I love the L3000 every time when I use them with rock.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #36 of 160
I sold them because I prefer speakers more, and I have no idea why people say the bass is overwhelming. It really isn't, unless of course you don't feed them enough current, which could be the case if you use OTL tube amps that uses tubes that don't supply enough current themselves, for example, something like an OTL tube amp that uses 6SN7s as output tubes.

They are definitely not overrated; in fact with the exception of a somewhat small soundstage (in size, but not in depth), they pretty much excel in all other areas.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #37 of 160
The L3000 are not over-rated. Enough has been said about personal preference to leave that alone, except to say that I agree, but if anyone gets the chance to hear the L3000 with a proper set-up, I can't imagine not giving them their due, no matter their preferences (btw, I prefer a different sound). They're wonderful headphones: uniquely beautiful, with impressive sq, and no longer in production. Putting those qualities together, how can anyone say they are not worth their price?

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 160
The L3000's build itself exudes luxury. There's no way that you will find this sort of quality on any can not around $2K.

In my opinion, the L3000 is technically as good a can as almost any other. Of course, like any other component, its sound might not appeal to you.

At around $2K, if I had to choose between the L3000 and the Qualia, I'd pick the latter without any hesitation because I feel that it is slightly superior technically, and more importantly, I PREFER its sound.

Keep in mind that the L3000 is a closed headphone --a feature that in itself should raise its value because there simply are not too many audiophile closed cans.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #39 of 160
So far I prefer my L3000 to my Qualia. This is partly due to the Qualias fit issue. The Qualia has hard pads and they apply their pressure unevenly on the bone structure in my head, leading to miscomfort.

However, given that I've only compared both out of a seriously inferior amp, I expect to view both in a different light once my new amp arrives.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #40 of 160
The great thing about the L3000 and the Qualia is that I found them both to sound fairly spectacular even from mediocre amps.
orphsmile.gif
I can't say the same about other high-ends cans like the K1000, HE60, OII, etc.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #41 of 160
I bought a L3000 earlier this year in Japan for a really nice price. I personally love them, best headphone i ever owned. They do have some shortcomings and technically i think the W5000 or O2 are more advanced, but all the good things it has make up for a really good listening experience, it's an extremly refined headphone.

What made me sell them was the high going price here on head-fi
wink.gif
I couldnt really sit on a headphone that expensive even though i paid much much less.

AND, my 400 Euro speakers still are more enjoyable overall. So yes, i think it's overrated especially for the going price around here. I would NEVER buy one for more than 1000$.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #43 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you heard them on the same system or not. But when I heard the L3000 side by side the D5000, it was pretty easy pick for me. I feel that the D5000 is less refined in every way to the L3000. The bass on the D5000 is definitely too strong and has too much emphasis.

x2

And agree with Purk about the E9's. Definitely richer sounding and more refined than the D5000, at least to these ears. But then at double the price, they should be.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #44 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The issue here of course is that, like all headphones, the ideal sound varies widely from one individual to the next, and the L3000 is sufficiently idiosyncratic in its sound that people will react very differently to it. I expected to LOVE the L3000, and while I liked it, I immediately came away from my listening experience with it very glad I had not actually paid $2K+ to hear one. I liked it fine, but I significantly prefer the sound of the $500 Denon D5000 over the L3000. But again, that is just me.

There is no doubt that from a build quality perspective, the L3000 justifies its price.

I concur (except the part about the d5000). The l3000's are like the RS-1's in that they somewhat have a polarizing sound signature. Either you will love them or not care for them. A lot will depend upon the system you play them on, but there is a distinct coloration in the L3000's that is evident in the majority of the systems I have heard them. Fortunately I love them, but my wallet definitely can't back up that price. If they dipped into the 1500 area I would probably pick up a set.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #45 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could get them for less than $1000 in japan? Where? Is this normal?

I don't think you get the L3000 that cheap any more, not even in Japan. The average price of the L3000 on Yahoo Japan is around $1800. I think..those days are long gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back