L3000 review
Oct 29, 2006 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased the AT-L3000 and AT-HDA3000 from mbratrud. You can see his review of them here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128958

I’ve been listening for a week now.

For a little of my history, I started with a Sony MDR-V6, which I still have. Owned a pair of B&W 801’s and Conrad Johnson Premier 11 amp, which I sold, as I am unable to really listen via speakers now because of children and space. However, given the chance, I by far prefer listening to speakers. I bought a new Sony R-10, and had that for a year and a half, then sold it for the money and because I missed the bass in my music. I bought a pair of new Grado 325i’s and a pair of new Darth Beyers, which I slightly modded and still have. (From the looks, they really should be called Leia Beyers, not Darth Beyers). My impressions of those can be found here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146708

After getting the Darth Beyers I was still left wanting a little more detail, and the excitement a more forward sound gives, but I was satisfied. And I wasn’t willing to give up the deep bass that the DB’s provided though. The only other closed headphone that I thought might suffice was the L3000. I need a closed can, because I do most of my listening at work.

I had the opportunity to buy the L3000 recently and I had heard positive reviews of the DHA3000, so I had to satisfy my curiosity.

I’ve now tried the L3000 with four sources and three amps: The DHA3000 w/ Noej Toejb 3000 via digital coax; The DHA3000 w/ Eastsound E5 via Toslink; The headphone out of the Noej Toejb; the E5 through a Ray Samuels Hornet; a 1generation iPod Nano through a Xin Supermacro III; and the Nano through the Hornet. I don’t have all the opulent ancillary equipment mbratrud has, but it is descent enough.

I first tried the iPod->Xin->L3k combo. I thought they sounded fun, had a full, rich sound, although somewhat lacking in energy and clarity in the highs I was hoping for. And like everyone else thinks, the bass, lower mids, and PRaT are what really stand out.

I then tried them straight out of the Noej Toejb and that sucked. There was no point in trying that for more than a couple of minutes.

I then tried the NT->DHA3K->L3K combo next. Hmmm, not what I was expecting. Sort of a flat, softer, more polite sound. I tried different treble and bass settings on the DHA3000. The highs got a little better, but the bass adjustment didn’t improve the bass very much. I was disappointed. Maybe changing to a fiber optic connection would dramatically change the sound characteristic? I’d buy a fiber cable the next day. Meanwhile, I did a lot of comparisons with the iPod->Xin to the NT->DHA3000. The iPod was far better every single time for every type of music I tried.

I’ve also done a lot of comparisons between the L3000, 325i, and DT770 now. And I have mixed feelings about it. I prefer the other two by quite a bit to the 325i. The 325i has a thin lower range, flat sound stage, and is just not as musical in comparison. The DB’s and the L3000 are more closely related sonically. Both have full, deep, strong, bass. I would say the DB’s go a little bit lower, but the L3000 has a fuller, more impactful bass. Every other headphone I’ve tried, the bass line of the music is sort of blended with the other instruments, but the L3000 makes it distinct, powerful, and lively, like you notice and pick out when you hear music live. This is exactly what I was looking for in a headphone bass. It’s fun and groovy when it needs to be and provides plenty of slam when the music calls for it. You can’t help but bounce around with the music.

The mids are also full, rich, and prominent. They don’t have the transparency, naturalness, or clarity of the R-10’s, and there is just some weird coloration I can’t quite put my finger on to explain, but it is a satisfying, musical, and romantic sound. (I will try to attempt to explain the coloration though. It’s as if the L3K makes the music sound like it is being played in a padded room. When you listen directly at the singer or guitar, it sounds clear and direct, but air around them sounds like it’s in a padded room. There, I tried.) The DB’s have thinner, less prominent mids. Part of that is because the DB’s have a bigger, wider soundstage. It’s more open and much less forward than the L3K. The L3000 is more resolving, but the DB’s sound a little more detailed because of its thinner, more open character. I do prefer the L3000 in the mids also, they are just more musical and fun.

The treble is the L3000’s weakness. It’s thin, not very noticeable, and not very extended. There's almost no air up there. The Darth Beyers have more pronounced highs, even though it’s still dark in character. The L3K is just darker. The DB’s sound lighter, brighter, more clear and detailed in comparison. Oh, the disappointment.

After getting the Toslink cable, I did more comparisons with the DHA3000 and Eastsound. More disappointment. It still didn’t sound much better. Polite, soft, gentle, a little dull, although it was a little more resolving and more controlled than the other sources I tried. This is not the sound I am looking for. Every time I switched between the iPod and DHA3000, the iPod was much more exciting, impactful, vivid, musical, open, and just plain fun. I listen to music. I rarely listen to sound. (Although I admit I did my fair share when I had the R-10’s.) I don’t understand how the engineers could build what clearly appear to be good rock cans, but then build an amp for it that was designed for easy-listening music. Oh well, it will be up for sale in the Amplifier section sometime today if anyone is interested.

I also tried comparisons with the Eastsound->Hornet and iPod->Hornet. (Just as a mini-mini-review, the Xin has a more open, detailed sound, and the Hornet has a more forward, engaging sound. The Xin has slightly better ‘sound’, while the Hornet has slightly better ‘music’. Both are very good.) If I haven’t shocked people enough with my DHA3000 views, most of you will just walk away shaking their heads when I say the L3000 sounds the best so far with my iPod->Hornet, which surprises me also, as I prefer the Eastsound to the iPod with my Darth Beyers. The Eastsound clearly does have more resolution, detail, and control, but it also provides too much upper bass \ lower mids to the L3000 which makes them sound very muddy. The L3000’s already have plenty of emphasis in that area - it doesn’t need more. The iPod, on the other hand, provides a needed brightness to the L3K that makes them sound clearer and more detailed than the Eastsound. Because the DB’s are thinner in the upper bass \ lower mid section, that enhances their sound with the Eastsound rather than detracts. Besides the sound, the iPod is just more fun and musical with the L3000. It’s bizarre to me how the Eastsound can make the DT770’s sound better and the L3000’s worse, and the iPod can make the DT770’s sound worse and the L3000’s better. But that’s the world of audio and our subjective opinions. For all of you who are shaking their heads at me – come here and listen! I admit the iPod can be lacking in control, especially with complex, bassy music, but otherwise it does sound the best with the L3000’s to me. As a note, the ‘Rock’ setting of the iPod equalizer was also the best setting. I just ordered an iMod-iPod, and hope that will improve the sound more. (In addition to adding more space, as the Nano I have is only 2G.)

I could write ten pages or more about detailed aspects of the sound and differences between the phones, etc., but I don’t have the time or see the point. Most of you will think I’m crazy anyway, but I definitely hear what I hear and know what I like.

Although the L3000 isn’t perfect, they are still more fun and satisfying than the Darth Beyers. So I will keep them as my main headphone, while keeping an eye open for any new cans that come closer to what I ultimately want. If someone could just make a closed can with the sub-woofer effect of the DT770, the bass, PRaT, and slam of the L3000, a slightly more forward mid of the R-10 and with more slam, and a slightly less zippy treble of the R-10. I think that is what my holy-grail of headphones would be. I’m afraid I will be waiting a long time. In the meantime, I will enjoy what I have.

bdh

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 23
wow! you care more about the music and enjoyment then the hype of thousand dollar cans! i congratulate you
eek.gif
. great review!

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 23
I LOVE this review/post as a multi-Darth owner......... one whose curiosity about the L3000 has been dorment until now. Thanks. You answered some as-yet-unasked questions for me.....and prompted a couple of speculations
smily_headphones1.gif
It's certainly provides food for thought.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 23
Oops, I forgot to put down what music I was listening to. They were either CD's, ACC files, or both.

The Who
Nora Jones
Led Zepplin
Jenny Lewis
Rilo Kiley
Wolfmother
Michael Jackson
Eric Clapton
Beethoven
Dave Brubeck
The Clash
The London Suede
Raw Power
Jennifer Warrens
Jesse Autumn
Radiohead
Dead Kennedys
Shubert
Rage Against The Machine

Many more.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 23
Nice review. Well the L3000 to me has always leaned on the thicker, bass emphasized side of things and I can understand why you'd like it with a Hornet. Honestly, if that works for you, it works for you, yeah?

I might suggest, if you want to stick to the bigger rigs, swapping out the DHA3000 for say a Dynamight or other faster, brighter, cleaner amplifier. RSA Stealth comes to mind as well.

Or maybe the W5000 is something you should look into. It's a thinner, faster approach and you mind it more to your liking.

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Or maybe the W5000 is something you should look into. It's a thinner, faster approach and you mind it more to your liking.
-Jason

But most of the reviews of the W5000 indicate the bass is fairly lean and is not an aggressive can. I don't necessarily want thinner, I just find the L3000s lacking in the highs.

bdh

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh
But most of the reviews of the W5000 indicate the bass is fairly lean and is not an aggressive can. I don't necessarily want thinner, I just find the L3000s lacking in the highs.

bdh

It is a bass lean can... just there is more air to the treble and more performance out of it in that area. I guess it is a trade-off though.

See, the honest truth is I want to suggest an Omega II for you, as having more of the treble/air without sacrificing the bottom end... but that's an open can and I'm not so sure you want to go that route.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh
The treble is the L3000’s weakness. It’s thin, not very noticeable, and not very extended. There's almost no air up there. The Darth Beyers have more pronounced highs, even though it’s still dark in character. The L3K is just darker. The DB’s sound lighter, brighter, more clear and detailed in comparison. Oh, the disappointment.

The L3000 treble is not that bad at all, sure it's not the most extended but it is certainly noticeable. I think you might just be too used to the huge treble spikes of the 325i and DBs
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 23
Very interesting observations.
Thanks for sharing them.
I don't think you're crazy, using your own ears and your own judgement of what you hear is very sound practice I think.
I was wondering: do you have the new V3 Darth Beyers? They are said to have much improved midrange...(I am seriously considering these now).
BTW: I think you might like the JVC/DX1000. Closed, lots of bass, but also very detailed and with a very large soundstage.

Oct 30, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 23
Allow me to make an obsevation here. I think that one problem you have might be the Toslink connection. I have always found them to be - and particularly with the DHA3000 - compressed and lacking in air.

My own solution involved running Audioquests top of the line Toslink (which I think retailed for about $350 but I bought on sale for maybe $175) into an Apogee Big Ben. I already owned the Big Ben to use in my speaker based system to accomodate the use of iTUnes as an easy playback platform and I ran it through the very accomplised Burmester 001 CD player with great results, anyway, I used a Stealth Varidig balanced digit IC into the Burmester but preferred thhe much faster and leaner XLO Limited Edition (admittedly quite expensive) with the DHA3000 - alot more active high end.

Reclocking the digital signal into the DHA3000 was, for me, just what the doctor ordered. There was much more resolution, a larger sound stage and more air....the L3000 are still closed phones and you could here that as opposed to open ones and I prefer the thicker organic sound of the L3000s to the leaner and more astringent sound of some of the alternatives out there.

I always wanted to try one of the Empirical Audio pieced that would allow you to come out of your computer with a USB and convert to SP/DIF and at the same time he puts a superclock3 reclocking device in .....I always wanted to try one with the DHA300 as a kind of take it anywhere super system but I never did.

I agree that that BASS/Treble tuning on the DHA3000 left something to be desired but I never really experienced the sound as wooley or over dampened the way you described. Perhaps our ear function differently - or it is entirely possible that you simply hear bettter than I do....but the system was expensive, very hard to find or get again and I urge to to play around a bit more with your possiblities before abandoning something so exotic and beautiful so soon. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 23
It might help, it might not. But that's one of the big problems with high-end audio. I don't have the money to buy a Big Ben with XLO LE cable just to see if it would help or not. In the likely chance it didn't help, I would be out a lot more money than I already am, just to prove that point.

It's a tough situation. If I hadn't been given the Nano six months ago, I would most likely be selling the L3000's too! I would have incorrectly concluded the L3000 just sucks. Some people would have said I need this $5000 CD player, or this other one, etc. to make it sound right. But only a tiny fraction of people have the ability to do things like that.

It also underscores a couple of points about high-end audio:

1. Even miniscule changes in the sound can have a big impact on your enjoyment of the music. There is a huge difference between the R10, L3000, and DT770, yet I like them all - paired with the right amp and source. Yet the small, but significant change of adding the rope mod to the DT770, was the difference between my selling them or not. And the small, but significant differences between the Eastsound and iPod, were the cause of me keeping the L3000 or selling them. Sometimes equipment changes are not noticable; sometimes they change the sound, but not the enjoyment; sometimes they don't seem to change the sound, but do change the emotional character of the music; and some changes you can't notice without long term listening.

2. Because of the issues in the previous paragraph, all audio reviews are effected to some extent or another on all the assiociated equipment, listener bias, and environment if you're talking about loadspeakers. My review of the Eastsound CD player would be totally different if I received it and only had the L3000 headphones to listen to it with rather than the DT770's I had when I bought it. That might be the case with the DHA3000, but with the three headphones, two sources, and two links I tried with it, it always sounded more or less what I descripted originally. And so I have no other recourse, except to keep at as eye candy or sell it. I will periodically try it again until it is sold as I don't think it will sell fast, but I'm not willing to invest in other equipment for it. Besides, I'm sure it will be some other L3000 owner who buys it eventually.

bdh

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
See, the honest truth is I want to suggest an Omega II for you, as having more of the treble/air without sacrificing the bottom end...

Nods. That's more or less how I landed on the Stax O2.

Nov 20, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 23
So I got an iMod a few weeks ago. For the first two weeks, I didn't hear any difference between the iMod and stock iPod. Now I do. Below is my post from a different forum about the iMod. With regards to the L3000, the iMod really helps with what I consider L3000 weaker points: the clarity, the highs, and a wider and more dimensional sound-stage.

(One side note to mention if you have a RSA Hornet; with the L3000's the sound and music is almost always better with the gain setting on Low. With it on High, the sound is very flat and harsh. However there are a few songs, notably ones that may sound a little boring, that do benefit from the harsher, edgier sound of the High setting.)

It seems like every day I like my setup more and more. While it doesn't sound as good as my speakers did, it sure has the excitement, emotion, and 'fun-ness' of them. And like mbratrud said in his review, with the L3000's, you don't have to close your eye's to become immersed with the music.
Also while I saw mentioned in a recent thread today that some people thought the L3000 was fatiguing, I experience no fatigue either sonically or physically. I'm sure glad I decided to try them.

iMod thoughts:
Okay, after three and a half weeks of use, I did another comparison. I guess the magic burn-in occurs in the third week, because now I hear the difference that everyone has talked about. The sound is clearer, almost sparkling in comparison. It has a purer quality to it. The sound stage is wider and has more dimensionality. It's more exciting. The bass is tighter.

There are only two cons - while the bass is tighter and better defined, it is slightly less strong. While it's still very satisfying because of my L3000's, I prefer not to give up any bass strengh. And some songs just benefit from the fatter, more reverbrent bass of the stock iPod.
The other issue is that the 'tone' is a little higher on the iMod, or the tone of the iPod is a little lower than the iMod. My opinion is that the iPod is more correct. I only notice it with voices. It's hard to tell if it's actually the tone, or that the lower mid-range is just thinner (which it is). Obviously I don't have any 'proof' that the iPod is more correct, but I just get the feeling that Annie Lennox and Roger Daltrey's voices are a little meatier than the iMod presents it.
However, even so, the iMod is funner to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back