L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 8, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #5,386 of 6,804
Amp is back on the road again in the Pelican case. Yesterday I drew up some more schematicky schematics that I will include in the build document. Placed an order for new set of Lundahl iron and shields for the instructional build, 4-5 week wait time for those so that will be the rate limiting step. BOM document is 80% done, I will try to finish that this weekend. Next will be adding test points to the PCB and ordering the new boards. I am going to look over the chassis once more and make sure there is nothing I want to adjust last minute, then that will be ordered.

Remember how ELMA messed up the first switch I ordered from them? I received the replacement. It is the higher torque model, requires a little more force to turn compared to the first switch, thought I'd give both a try and see which is preferred. I was a little concerned about the dexterity required to solder the 2x14 pins to the switch, but I made a little harder than I needed to on the first go around, I have a method that will make it a non issue. Good thing, as the whole point of using a PCB-based switch was to make the work simple. Doing point-to-point work on a complicated switch would definitely be a turn off for some people, I've really tried to make building this circuit as simple as possible.

PXL_20221008_135058608-2.jpg

The amplifier made it in a CanJam impressions video, my five seconds of fame.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #5,387 of 6,804
I'm starting a new job at the beginning of December so trying to get all of this done before then! I've had an absolutely brutal work schedule lately, but it is much better now, should be pretty good all the way up to the end of November. Tonight I am going to see Apollo's Fire (Grammy-winning Cleveland Baroque orchestra), then next weekend going to Detroit to see King Gizzard (yes, I am a Gizzhead), should be fun.

@A2029 I tried all kinds of stuff to try and get rid of those artifacts, no bones, not sure what the deal is, seemed to come out of nowhere. Not the end of the world, but would like to get some semi accurate measurements to publish for this design. Could always upgrade to the UltraLite-mk5 like I mentioned before.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #5,388 of 6,804
@A2029 I tried all kinds of stuff to try and get rid of those artifacts, no bones, not sure what the deal is, seemed to come out of nowhere. Not the end of the world, but would like to get some semi accurate measurements to publish for this design. Could always upgrade to the UltraLite-mk5 like I mentioned before.

Hmm, last thing that I remember trying is turning the output level down by 1dB or so from the max output level in the signal generator inside of REW. Then just have to turn the amp up a bit to compensate.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,389 of 6,804
Hmm, last thing that I remember trying is turning the output level down by 1dB or so from the max output level in the signal generator inside of REW. Then just have to turn the amp up a bit to compensate.

The output level from the DAC doesn't seem to affect it on mine, its present at -20dB output all the way up to -3dB output. I'm gonna give it one more round of thorough troubleshooting. Maybe I'll reach out to MOTU and see if its something they've come across.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #5,390 of 6,804
Okay I have named the amplifier. My partner has degrees in English literature and history so I obviously go to her for this type of thing, she gets credit for the name.

It will be called the Aegis (pronounced EE-jis). This is the goatskin shield carried by Zeus and Athena in the Iliad, also a term meaning to be under the protection of a person or organization, as used in the phrase "under the aegis of".

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #5,392 of 6,804
Okay I have named the amplifier. My partner has degrees in English literature and history so I obviously go to her for this type of thing, she gets credit for the name.

It will be called the Aegis (pronounced EE-jis). This is the goatskin shield carried by Zeus and Athena in the Iliad, also a term meaning to be under the protection of a person or organization, as used in the phrase "under the aegis of".
Cool. I like it! At first mention this is what comes to mind, but since it's so incredibly bad-ass that's a good thing to associate. 🤣

1665252946175.png

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #5,393 of 6,804
So who is protected here; the designer, the builder or the amp? Or everyone and everything? :wink:

The amplifier is protecting the good vibes of your music. The designer is protecting you from getting electrocuted by the amp :)

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #5,394 of 6,804
The amplifier is protecting the good vibes of your music. The designer is protecting you from getting electrocuted by the amp :)
Unfortunately, nothing is protecting our wallets. 🤣

But if it wasn't for the budgeted capital expenditure on audio, my wife would just buy more shoes...

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #5,395 of 6,804
Unfortunately, nothing is protecting our wallets. 🤣

But if it wasn't for the budgeted capital expenditure on audio, my wife would just buy more shoes...

Lol yeah it's a pricey project, but hey, think about what an amplifier like this would cost if it wasn't DIY :wink:

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #5,397 of 6,804
Next project should be an amp with twice the sq and half the price. That would be something!

You are allowed to sleep first :smile: ...

Probably the next DIY thing I would consider doing is the spud circuit, which I would expect to cost < $1K in parts. For this design, I placed the highest priority on the ease with which it can be built, even if it is relatively expensive. I think that will make it approachable even by novice DIYers.

You can save money on a tube circuit and get great sound quality by augmenting with semiconductors, but many of the great ones for tube circuits are not available right now (hopefully that changes in the near future) and the propensity for parts failure goes up. Better to start with something easy to build and troubleshoot.

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #5,398 of 6,804

Nice. I was going to make one final suggestion… Armando - in honour of this magnificent beast: https://manofmany.com/entertainment...-the-most-expensive-bird-ever-sold-at-auction

This way whenever the next person complains about how much you spend on audio gear you can say back… "just be thankful I'm not into pigeons"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back