L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Oct 8, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #5,402 of 6,808
MyL0rd, when you have learnt to wind transformers to your liking you could start with something like this for your Thorens: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/dava-fc-a1-a-field-coil-contender.30720/ Can't possibly be that difficult. Might be rewarding. :sunglasses:
Head Fi's unofficial motto is "sorry about your wallet"
That sites unofficial motto is "sorry about your 401k"

Some of the member's sound systems on that site are absurd, like uber ridiculous.
Unfortunately ( for me) that site has the best tube rolling threads for Lampizator DACs

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #5,403 of 6,808
Head Fi's unofficial motto is "sorry about your wallet"
That sites unofficial motto is "sorry about your 401k"

Some of the member's sound systems on that site are absurd, like uber ridiculous.
Unfortunately ( for me) that site has the best tube rolling threads for Lampizator DACs
I've been sorry about my 401K since January. 🤣

That thing weighs 26 grams? Ooof. I thought my dearly departed Koetsu was heavy at 10.8 grams. Going to need a high quality gimbaled arm for that...I wouldn't even think of trying it on a unipivot. So yeah, I probably want one anyway. :slight_smile:

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #5,404 of 6,808
Try an SPU. They start at around 30g and go up from there. The sound is incredible, though. Meaty, liquid midrange and plenty of speed and “snap”!

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #5,406 of 6,808
I'm starting a new job at the beginning of December so trying to get all of this done before then! I've had an absolutely brutal work schedule lately, but it is much better now, should be pretty good all the way up to the end of November. Tonight I am going to see Apollo's Fire (Grammy-winning Cleveland Baroque orchestra), then next weekend going to Detroit to see King Gizzard (yes, I am a Gizzhead), should be fun.

@A2029 I tried all kinds of stuff to try and get rid of those artifacts, no bones, not sure what the deal is, seemed to come out of nowhere. Not the end of the world, but would like to get some semi accurate measurements to publish for this design. Could always upgrade to the UltraLite-mk5 like I mentioned before.

Congrats on the new job :)

Enjoy the trip to Detroit and the music....will be a nice little getaway.

Go Guardians!

I've been sorry about my 401K since January. 🤣

That thing weighs 26 grams? Ooof. I thought my dearly departed Koetsu was heavy at 10.8 grams. Going to need a high quality gimbaled arm for that...I wouldn't even think of trying it on a unipivot. So yeah, I probably want one anyway. :slight_smile:
Yeah, the way things are going 401K's will be about 25 % wiped out shortly.
My retirements funds have been going south at a rapid rate and unfortunately I don't see an end in sight as of yet!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #5,407 of 6,808
Congrats on the new job :)

Enjoy the trip to Detroit and the music....will be a nice little getaway.

Go Guardians!

Thanks! It should be a huge quality of life improvement.

Oct 10, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #5,408 of 6,808
Well I've been fiddling with the modded Gustard x 26 Pro. I don't have my headphone cable back from Wywires, needs a ground repair, my fault. Alex is taking care of it. So my Swan M 200 mk 3+ are what I am listening with. And been tweaking and reloading windows and tweaking my computer.

Don't have Jplay up yet, but did setup AO 3, fidelizer, process lasso. Still need to get a handle on the latest buzz with Majority clean, which has now been exceeded by Exercise Stabilizer, and Hungry Bear's latest trusted Installer to integrate that with Process Lasso to squeeze even more out of Jplay Femto. Will mess with that once my Wywires Platinum is back.

I did put throttlestop back on and dropped my 3.4GHz 4th Gen I5 K to 1100 MHz. 200 Hz lower than what I was previously underclocking it at. And got it to stay stable. Running cpu and cache -260mv undervolted. At -265mv it freezes. Holy Fricking crap. With this Dac underclocking and undervolting make a substantially bigger difference.

It is much better than my rebuilt Oppo Sonica DAC which Ric also did. It uses a variant of the same Class A high current output stage and he combines the DAC's to create a dedicated Single ended circuit called Super Single ended. The power switch is disabled as is the Fuse and the voltage change circuitry. The output is through WBT Copper Nexgen RCA's.

The Swan's have never sounded better. Soundstage is at least 15 to 20% larger than ever and the speaker create images coming from the back corners of the room if it's in the recording. focus depth and heigth are all similar improved. Didn't know 45 HZ Bass, limit of the speaker, could have this much weight and impact. The high frequencies air out like I have ribbon tweeters, not silk domes. Midrange liquid, slightly warm and effortless. PRAT and dynamics are also much improved. But the Throttlestop tweak just made it far more effortless, organic and real. More detail with far more ease and liquidity! More punch in the bottom, more air in the top and solidifying the boundaries.

It's litterally like the speakers more effectively couple with the air around them and the room. They completely disappear and I only sit about 3 to 3.5 feet away from them.

They are basically very good powered desktop speakers made to serve as regular speakers. I have them on stacked concrete block stands and they are modestly tweaked. But I know them well enough to hear how much better this DAC is then what I had. Very excited to put it in front of the Airmid and VC's. Hopefully by the end of the week.

If you run a PC, seriously try Underclocking and Undervolting. I think you will be quite surprised at how much it improves the sound.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5,410 of 6,808
I did put throttlestop back on and dropped my 3.4GHz 4th Gen I5 K to 1100 Hz. 200 Hz lower than what I was previously underclocking it at. And got it to stay stable. Running cpu and cache -260mv undervolted. At -265mv it freezes. Holy Fricking crap. With this Dac underclocking and undervolting make a substantially bigger difference.

3.4 gigahertz is 3,400,000,000 hertz

But you say running at 1,100 hertz (which is 0.0000011 Giga Hertz) sounds vastly better?

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #5,411 of 6,808
Well I've been fiddling with the modded Gustard x 26 Pro. I don't have my headphone cable back from Wywires, needs a ground repair, my fault. Alex is taking care of it. So my Swan M 200 mk 3+ are what I am listening with. And been tweaking and reloading windows and tweaking my computer.

Don't have Jplay up yet, but did setup AO 3, fidelizer, process lasso. Still need to get a handle on the latest buzz with Majority clean, which has now been exceed my Exercise Stabilizer and Hungry Bear's latest trusted Installer to integrate that with Process Lasso to squeeze even more out of Jplay Femto. Will mess with that once my Wywires Platinum is back.

I did put throttlestop back on and dropped my 3.4GHz 4th Gen I5 K to 1100 Hz. 200 Hz lower than what I was previously underclocking it at. And got it to stay stable. Running cpu and cache -260mv undervolted. At -265mv it freezes. Holy Fricking crap. With this Dac underclocking and undervolting make a substantially bigger difference.

It is much better than my rebuilt Oppo Sonica DAC which Ric also did. It uses a variant of the same Class A high current output stage and he combines the DAC's to create a dedicated Single ended circuit called Super Single ended. The power switch is disabled as is the Fuse and the voltage change circuitry. The output is through WBT Copper Nexgen RCA's.

The Swan's have never sounded better. Soundstage is at least 15 to 20% larger than ever and the speaker create images coming from the back corners of the room if it's in the recording. focus depth and heigth are all similar improved. Didn't know 45 HZ Bass, limit of the speaker, could have this much weight and impact. The high frequencies air out like I have ribbon tweeters, not silk domes. Midrange liquid, slightly warm and effortless. PRAT and dynamics are also much improved. But the Throttlestop tweak just made it far more effortless, organic and real. More detail with far more ease and liquidity! More punch in the bottom, more air in the top and solidifying the boundaries.

It's litterally like the speakers more effectively couple with the air around them and the room. They completely disappear and I only sit about 3 to 3.5 feet away from them.

They are basically very good powered desktop speakers made to serve as regular speaker. I have them on stacked concrete block stands and they are modestly tweaked.
But I know them well enough to hear how much better this DAC is then what I had. Very excited to put it in front of the Airmid and VC's. Hopefully by the end of the week.

If you run a PC, seriously try Underclocking and Undervolting. I think you will be quite surprised at how much it improves the sound.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
Oh man and I thought setting up a turntable was tricky 🙂

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #5,412 of 6,808
Oh man and I thought setting up a turntable was tricky 🙂
Yeah life was much easier with My Linn setup and then later my Well Tempered Turntable. Many Years ago. Far more to obsess about now with digital and streaming.

I just left it to my dealer to periodically check the bounce of my Linn and the Well Tempered just needed a good stand under it. With the Linn it was all dealer setup and checked. With the Well Tempered just had to make sure my Van Den Hul was properly lined up with a very good alignment protractor and then adjust SRA and all was good. Just keep everything records and stylus clean. Much much simpler!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #5,413 of 6,808
Okay I have named the amplifier. My partner has degrees in English literature and history so I obviously go to her for this type of thing, she gets credit for the name.

It will be called the Aegis (pronounced EE-jis). This is the goatskin shield carried by Zeus and Athena in the Iliad, also a term meaning to be under the protection of a person or organization, as used in the phrase "under the aegis of".
I like it......... ALTHOUGH I gotta say somebody whose name is derived from a Dark Souls reference ought to have enough RPG lore rattling around in his head to come up with Aegis on his own. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #5,414 of 6,808
@jgwtriode How far out from the walls are your speakers? I'm fighting with SBIR with mine since I moved into my new place. I also suspect that having my monitor in between the speakers is also a major detractor but the entire setup is build around the PC and desk and there's no getting away from it.

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #5,415 of 6,808
Making the best of waiting for my repaired headphone cable. Tweaked the digital and sound signature filters in Audiophile Optimizer to get a bit more staging and PRAT with a slightly more forward presentation.

"Basically it's about how the OS handles CPU and Memory. This does not alter the source in any way, but there is still a difference in what you hear in the end." Quoting Audiophil at Highend PC who markets this software optimizer for Windows.

Sure nough. It's better. It actually moved the stage a bit more forward without any loss of depth seemingly, that was pretty sweet!

And of course the DAC is burning in nicely and getting better every few hours. Pretty Damn ridiculous what a 1500 dollar Chinese DAC can do with a few extra mods and some tweaking of software, computer and what's in front of it. And this thing can be substantially bumped with Gustard's I 2S box with better 10MHZ clock oscillator that can be externally connected to the Ext Refrence connector. Pretty Darn Happy, just need that cable and then the Airmid and the VC's enter the entire equation and OH MY GOSH!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back