L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Aug 31, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #5,131 of 6,808
Sorry I am about to get in a submarine, I'll answer re regulators and Stereomour when I resurface.
I'm going to wager that this is the very first time in Head-Fi history that those words have been spoken.

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #5,133 of 6,808
Aug 31, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #5,134 of 6,808
Museum ship or working? Both sound fun.

A working one! At least that's what they told me before I got on...I survived!

Here is a green moray 75ft below ☠️

PXL_20220831_173718903.jpg

Aug 31, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #5,135 of 6,808
@cacacacaciiiiii on the Stereomour, you could use it as a headphone amplifier, in fact I'm pretty sure this specific question has been asked in the Bottlehead forum. It isn't necessarily ideal however as the output transformers will be tapped for speaker impedances, I think the sound would be better if dedicated headphone transformers were used and you will lose power output this way. My guess is you would get better performance from a dedicated headamp like the Mainline, but I can't be certain. IMO, any headphone amp using DHTs should use a DC filament supply, so you would want to include that. I would check the Bottlehead forum for this specific question, I'm sure it has been asked.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #5,136 of 6,808
Here are some other random things I've acquired recently.

Custom walnut plinth for my turntable. Just waiting for my new tonearm at this point, then I can rebuild it.

A pair of Sowter I/V transformers for my PCM63 DAC build. I've sort of changed mindsets for this design, I was originally looking to do a simple passive I/V transformer coupled output. I'll likely still give that a try, but it has compromises. What I'm more keen on doing now is another tube output stage using E182CC with transformer coupled outputs. TBD.

A very nice quad of NOS graphite plate 801A. I paid around $105 dollars for this set, plus international shipping. Absolutely ridiculous deal.

I have decided to make my own plinth for a TD 125, considering what they are fetching with decent tone arms it will be a nice small project. I have a few projects before that but I like to plan ahead. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #5,137 of 6,808
I have decided to make my own plinth for a DT 125, considering what they are fetching with decent tone arms it will be a nice small project. I have a few projects before that but I like to plan ahead. :ksc75smile:

Cool! Always good to have more plinth options out there, please post some pics when it's done :)

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #5,138 of 6,808
Cool! Always good to have more plinth options out there, please post some pics when it's done :)
I shall, I will also make a custom arm board of course. That is pretty simple stuff.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #5,139 of 6,808
I've also been scheming another project, as I said I can't help thinking about tubes on vacation...

I am considering a strictly community DIY project, a spud design. I have prototyped similar circuits and the sound is very good. However that was done with the Sowter 8665 parafeed transformers. The wait time for Sowter is very long and frankly they aren't what they once were since being sold to Carnhill. The 8665 are a little pricey too and require a somewhat complex switch to adjust the turns ratio...

So I've reached out to Jack at Electra-Print to commission a pair of headphone parafeed transformers along with my intention to create a DIY project, meaning potential future orders from others. If he can provide and my plans look good, I will look to release it on Head-Fi.

That would mean PCBs, BOM, chassis CAD files, build instructions, etc. The trick will be making it inexperienced DIYer friendly and using easily sourced parts as it will require semiconductors. TBD, we'll see what Jack says, he can be somewhat particular about his orders.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #5,140 of 6,808
A working one! At least that's what they told me before I got on...I survived!

Here is a green moray 75ft below ☠️

PXL_20220831_173718903.jpg
Did they let you drive? Or at least fire a torpedo? :laughing:

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #5,141 of 6,808
Did they let you drive? Or at least fire a torpedo? :laughing:

Nope, I just sat there looking out the window at the reef, pouting. Turns out they don't want some tourist crashing the sub into the coral reef for some odd reason.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #5,142 of 6,808
I've also been scheming another project, as I said I can't help thinking about tubes on vacation...

I am considering a strictly community DIY project, a spud design. I have prototyped similar circuits and the sound is very good. However that was done with the Sowter 8665 parafeed transformers. The wait time for Sowter is very long and frankly they aren't what they once were since being sold to Carnhill. The 8665 are a little pricey too and require a somewhat complex switch to adjust the turns ratio...

So I've reached out to Jack at Electra-Print to commission a pair of headphone parafeed transformers along with my intention to create a DIY project, meaning potential future orders from others. If he can provide and my plans look good, I will look to release it on Head-Fi.

That would mean PCBs, BOM, chassis CAD files, build instructions, etc. The trick will be making it inexperienced DIYer friendly and using easily sourced parts as it will require semiconductors. TBD, we'll see what Jack says, he can be somewhat particular about his orders.
This sounds awesome man! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #5,143 of 6,808
If / when you look for guinea pigs, to try out building your kit - I am in!! :L3000:

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #5,144 of 6,808
This sounds awesome man! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Thanks yeah I will post here as thing take shape. Once I confirm I have a source for the transformers I'll figure out the details. Would be a dual mono power supply, CCS loaded spud circuit, parafeed output, likely Clarity Cap parafeed capacitor, LED biased. I will subjectively test several LEDs to find the best. I need to decide what direction to take the CCS (FET vs BJT vs current source IC) and make setting the current simple and low hazard. Likely the supply would not require regulation given the high PSRR of the output stage, which would simplify things considerably.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #5,145 of 6,808
Thanks yeah I will post here as thing take shape. Once I confirm I have a source for the transformers I'll figure out the details. Would be a duo mono power supply, CCS loaded spud circuit, parafeed output, likely Clarity Cap parafeed capacitor, LED biased. I will subjectively test several LEDs to find the best. I need to decide what direction to take the CCS (FET vs BJT vs current source IC) and make setting the current simple and low hazard. Likely the supply would not require regulation given the high PSRR of the output stage, which would simplify things considerably.
Bonus points if you can make it a (reasonably) cheap Chi-Fi killer. I remember watching an interview with somebody in the auto industry talking about how it was easy to make a cost-no-object luxury car, but it took serious talent to build a stand out econobox. If you can apply that to the audio realm…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back