L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #3,466 of 6,797
Totally understandable Keenan. Building amps for others is a lot of work. Although you could do like what Glenn did. Make it a selectively small scale. Boutique amp builders are a cherished lot and they should not disappear. Boutique amp builders are spurred on by their love of tube amps and that's what drives them. Profit is secondary.

Yes, certainly I wasn't doing it for money, I was doing it for enjoyment, for fun, and to offer something to the community, but when there are such high demands on your time and energy, there is no fun left! It isn't something to take lightly - with every sale you are establishing a long term relationship of caring for the amplifier you put out into the world, as that number grows it will be very difficult for one person to manage. Much respect for those that are willing to do it, but it won't work for me unfortunately.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,468 of 6,797
First off, I am a critical care healthcare provider and my profession is pretty demanding. Given the current state of affairs in the critical care world and recent develops in my professional life, I don't have the time and energy to essentially work two jobs, which is what building amplifiers feels like it will become.
You have your priorities right, here. Letting a hobby remain as a hobby is, in my opinion, a wise decision. Not least with the pressure you have upon you during these hard times.

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #3,469 of 6,797
So I have some bad news - I've decided I cannot build and sell amplifiers publicly on Head-Fi.

I know this might come as a shock considering I only just recently announced the Airmid OTL and had discussed plans for future headphone amplifiers, but after thinking it over and discussing it with my partner, it just isn't going to work for a few different reasons.

First off, I am a critical care healthcare provider and my profession is pretty demanding. Given the current state of affairs in the critical care world and recent develops in my professional life, I don't have the time and energy to essentially work two jobs, which is what building amplifiers feels like it will become. Also, there is a certain degree of legal liability when selling high voltage audio equipment and to fully protect myself would require a commitment to small business ownership that I am not willing to make. I wanted to keep building amps "casual", but when there is 200V+ inside the chassis and the possibility of electrocution, it cannot be done casually without taking on some degree of risk. And without going into great detail, doing it would make me unhappy, ultimately.

So I will withdraw the Airmid OTL from Head-Fi. I will finish the orders that have been placed and provide future service and support for those amplifiers, but I will not be taking any new orders. I'm sorry to have led anyone on, I hesitated in the past at the idea of selling amplifiers, but thought I should try it out and see if it was going to work - I now know without question that it won't. I'll continue this thread if people are still interested in learning about tube audio design and potentially working on their own projects, but I won't be offering anything I show here for sale.
Perhaps you might consider publishing only the schematics and parts list as an educational exercise, with the usual "at your own risk" disclaimer.

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,470 of 6,797
So I have some bad news - I've decided I cannot build and sell amplifiers publicly on Head-Fi.

I know this might come as a shock considering I only just recently announced the Airmid OTL and had discussed plans for future headphone amplifiers, but after thinking it over and discussing it with my partner, it just isn't going to work for a few different reasons.

First off, I am a critical care healthcare provider and my profession is pretty demanding. Given the current state of affairs in the critical care world and recent develops in my professional life, I don't have the time and energy to essentially work two jobs, which is what building amplifiers feels like it will become. Also, there is a certain degree of legal liability when selling high voltage audio equipment and to fully protect myself would require a commitment to small business ownership that I am not willing to make. I wanted to keep building amps "casual", but when there is 200V+ inside the chassis and the possibility of electrocution, it cannot be done casually without taking on some degree of risk. And without going into great detail, doing it would make me unhappy, ultimately.

So I will withdraw the Airmid OTL from Head-Fi. I will finish the orders that have been placed and provide future service and support for those amplifiers, but I will not be taking any new orders. I'm sorry to have led anyone on, I hesitated in the past at the idea of selling amplifiers, but thought I should try it out and see if it was going to work - I now know without question that it won't. I'll continue this thread if people are still interested in learning about tube audio design and potentially working on their own projects, but I won't be offering anything I show here for sale.
Sorry to hear that, but I totally get it. But *please* keep the thread going. I've learned a lot (even though much of it is over my head), and mostly enjoy seeing what your projects are as they come along.

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #3,471 of 6,797
Sorry to hear that, but I totally get it. But *please* keep the thread going. I've learned a lot (even though much of it is over my head), and mostly enjoy seeing what your projects are as they come along.

Thanks, I will keep it going. I'll be working on that 45 amp soon, I think that should be a pretty interesting build!

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3,473 of 6,797

Totally understand.

I always say when something is not fun anymore, then it is not worth doing.

Just building stuff for yourself will always remain fun :)

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #3,476 of 6,797

Understood but obviously dissappointed, was really looking forward to an Airmid next year as the next step forward. Will have to ponder a bit. May have to build something myself but not really my forte. Did it a few years ago with the Bottleheads, but was looking forward to spending a bit more for a high value finished product. Best of luck, Keenan with everything your doing going forward.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #3,477 of 6,797
Understood but obviously dissappointed, was really looking forward to an Airmid next year as the next step forward. Will have to ponder a bit. May have to build something myself but not really my forte. Did it a few years ago with the Bottleheads, but was looking forward to spending a bit more for a high value finished product. Best of luck, Keenan with everything your doing going forward.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Sorry to disappoint @jgwtriode , always happy to answer questions though if you ever need tube advice.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #3,478 of 6,797
It's fine, I understand. Probably just have to save longer and spend more, just party of reality. Your amp was kind of a bridge to getting very close to absolute for a lot less than the otherwise going rate. I like to flirt with above 90 percent for a whole lot less than that last litte bit but really wanting it all. My system is pretty good right now but I really want that triode magic back in my life. So of course I will still follow and see whats up here and try and find a workable alternative.

Thanks for everything you do,

jgwtriode

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #3,479 of 6,797
First off, I am a critical care healthcare provider and my profession is pretty demanding. Given the current state of affairs in the critical care world and recent develops in my professional life, I don't have the time and energy to essentially work two jobs, which is what building amplifiers feels like it will become.

Very wise!

Also, there is a certain degree of legal liability when selling high voltage audio equipment and to fully protect myself would require a commitment to small business ownership that I am not willing to make. I wanted to keep building amps "casual", but when there is 200V+ inside the chassis and the possibility of electrocution, it cannot be done casually without taking on some degree of risk. And without going into great detail, doing it would make me unhappy, ultimately.

I think there might be an element of liability about any electrical equipment in terms of interference it produces or being a potential fire hazard.

I will finish the orders that have been placed and provide future service and support for those amplifiers...

aka Legendary Collectibles :)

I'll continue this thread if people are still interested in learning about tube audio design and potentially working on their own projects...

Yes!

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #3,480 of 6,797
It's fine, I understand. Probably just have to save longer and spend more, just party of reality. Your amp was kind of a bridge to getting very close to absolute for a lot less than the otherwise going rate. I like to flirt with above 90 percent for a whole lot less than that last litte bit but really wanting it all. My system is pretty good right now but I really want that triode magic back in my life. So of course I will still follow and see whats up here and try and find a workable alternative.

Thanks for everything you do,

jgwtriode
There are other custom amp builders on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back