L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Nov 10, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #3,481 of 6,808
Very wise!

I think there might be an element of liability about any electrical equipment in terms of interference it produces or being a potential fire hazard.

aka Legendary Collectibles :)

Yes!
Also, there are numerous compliance hurdles to be jumped over and certifications to be obtained. And, of course, the issue of recycling.

At least that is the case here in the EU…

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #3,483 of 6,808
Or WBA…

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3,484 of 6,808
Here is two Airmids worth of PCBs. HV regulators still need to be mounted to their heat sinks, but the vast majority is done. The 45 amplifier chassis will be here tomorrow (and I will be working the next two days), so I will switch over to working on that next week. With all of this out of the way though, assembling the two Airmids won't take long when the 45 amp is done.

You might notice there is only one Alps pot in the picture, that's because one of the two Airmids will use dual mono volume pots, Goldpoint V47 attenuators to be exact, for individual channel volume adjustment. This was per the request of the buyer.

PXL_20211110_172811649-2.jpg

Going to start thinking about what I will work on once these three amplifiers are done. With my DAC built, I don't have anything concrete planned. May still convert the 841 amplifier to a 6E6P spud, but also have some plans to make upgrades to my turntable. I also plan to direct-couple my 45 parafeed amplifier and work on an LCR phono stage, will have to weigh all of those options.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,486 of 6,808
Oh no and oh yes! :expressionless:

I guess that just relaxing isn't relaxing at all?

Well we will see, there is no timeline on any of those things, just a few projects I'd like to get done at some point.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,487 of 6,808
Here's what I am thinking of doing with my Thorens turntable - my plan is to get a custom wooden plinth, new arm board for a new tonearm, and a new two-switch aluminum fascia plate.

I got the fascia plate in today, it's a replica actually from Vinyl Nirvana. The turntable came in two versions, one with the stock Thorens tonearm that included a cueing mechanism and switch, and one without the cueing switch for use with other tonearms (e.g., SME series). Since I will be changing the tonearm, the cueing switch will be nonfunctional, so it will have to go.

Here is the replica fascia plate. I have another original two-switch plate I bought, but it's a bit dinged up, this one looks better and is functionally the same.

PXL_20211110_185108753-2.jpg

As far as the plinth, I am a fan of this style.

il_1140xN.3421799789_ddmm-3.jpg

The big question is the tonearm. The classic pairing is an SME 3009, so that is one option. I had considered a Jelco at one point but was really disappointed to learn they went out of business due to COVID. So more thinking to do on this front, the cost of the arm will probably dictate how soon I make the changes.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #3,488 of 6,808
I like my 3009…

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,489 of 6,808
Not tempted by an idler drive deck? So many good ones Stateside…

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #3,491 of 6,808
Not tempted by an idler drive deck? So many good ones Stateside…

The idler drive tables are intriguing, but I'm going to invest in my TD 125, I like it a lot and take pride in having bought it at a local shop :) we'll see but probably will end up with the 3009.

BTW @CJG888 , side note but you are a classical music fan, right? Not sure if you like Elgar, but over the weekend I saw the Cleveland Orchestra play Elgar's cello concerto featuring a young up-and-coming cellist from the UK named Sheku Kanneh-Mason. I've heard the piece many times, but never live and a mere 20 feet from the soloist, it was one of the most incredible live performances I have ever seen, I was in tears :sob: there is nothing like seeing a world class orchestra live.

How do you like my Denon DP-47f, complete with Dire Straits and camel hair brush?

Looking good :sunglasses: I like that brush, maybe I need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #3,492 of 6,808
The idler drive tables are intriguing, but I'm going to invest in my TD 125, I like it a lot and take pride in having bought it at a local shop :) we'll see but probably will end up with the 3009.

BTW @CJG888 , side note but you are a classical music fan, right? Not sure if you like Elgar, but over the weekend I saw the Cleveland Orchestra play Elgar's cello concerto featuring a young up-and-coming cellist from the UK named Sheku Kanneh-Mason. I've heard the piece many times, but never live and a mere 20 feet from the soloist, it was one of the most incredible live performances I have ever seen, I was in tears :sob: there is nothing like seeing a world class orchestra live.

Funny you should mention Elgar. He is, in a sense, my local composer- we are both Worcestershire lads…
In his day, he was the British composer closest to the European (German) Romantic tradition. His Cello Concerto is a staple of the repertoire, alongside the Dvorak and the Schumann…

You absolutely must get hold of the Du Pré / Barbirolli (if you don’t have it already). This sets the standard musically, and is a first-rate audiophile recording. Also please check out the violin concerto, the second symphony (Boult), or, for a real system test, The Dream of Gerontius (Boult or Rattle).

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #3,493 of 6,808
Here is two Airmids worth of PCBs. HV regulators still need to be mounted to their heat sinks, but the vast majority is done. The 45 amplifier chassis will be here tomorrow (and I will be working the next two days), so I will switch over to working on that next week. With all of this out of the way though, assembling the two Airmids won't take long when the 45 amp is done.

PXL_20211110_172422883-2.jpg

You might notice there is only one Alps pot in the picture, that's because one of the two Airmids will use dual mono volume pots, Goldpoint V47 attenuators to be exact, for individual channel volume adjustment. This was per the request of the buyer.

PXL_20211110_172811649-2.jpg

Going to start thinking about what I will work on once these three amplifiers are done. With my DAC built, I don't have anything concrete planned. May still convert the 841 amplifier to a 6E6P spud, but also have some plans to make upgrades to my turntable. I also plan to direct-couple my 45 parafeed amplifier and work on an LCR phono stage, will have to weigh all of those options.
I'm ready for you to start on an all-tube phono stage. You know, enough gain (using only tubes) to handle a .25 mV output moving coil. That would be cool. :laughing:

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,494 of 6,808

You have an ultrasonic cleaning rig. Brushes are for newbies. :laughing: :laughing:

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,495 of 6,808
There's only one true answer…
iu

SPUD

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back