L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,571 of 6,808
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

@L0rdGwyn I know you wanted to see my finished Elekit TU-8200R DX that I had painted in a special powder coated red but need to take photos of the inside using the Lundahl transformers as I was so psyched to get it built, it was together before I finished taking pics of the inside. Will share on the Elekit thread later at some point.

I can’t stop listening to this new amp!

1637857441205.jpeg
1637857502558.jpeg
I built one of these earlier this year with Lundahl OPT's and also can't stop listening to it. Highly recommended for anyone interested in it, and the build was not that difficult. Here is a photo of the insides, although most of the fun parts are under the main board:
IMG_3196.JPG

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,573 of 6,808
Hi Everybody

Happy Thanksgiving

Been gone for awhile due to health issues

Have a great weekend

Hope you are doing better my friend, Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,574 of 6,808
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

@L0rdGwyn I know you wanted to see my finished Elekit TU-8200R DX that I had painted in a special powder coated red but need to take photos of the inside using the Lundahl transformers as I was so psyched to get it built, it was together before I finished taking pics of the inside. Will share on the Elekit thread later at some point.

I can’t stop listening to this new amp!

Looks excellent and bet it sounds great, well done, seems like a nice kit to get your hands on a SET amplifier with quality transformers.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #3,575 of 6,808
Looks excellent and bet it sounds great, well done, seems like a nice kit to get your hands on a SET amplifier with quality transformers.

LG, you should sell an Airmid DIY kit. Put together some instructions, source all the parts and sell them in a bundle, include as much profit for yourself as needed to make it worth your time. I’d buy it.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,576 of 6,808
LG, you should sell an Airmid DIY kit. Put together some instructions, source all the parts and sell them in a bundle, include as much profit for yourself as needed to make it worth your time. I’d buy it.
Make it an SET kit instead :)

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #3,578 of 6,808
I'll keep those ideas in mind guys!

Long day at work, worked the holiday too, and through the weekend! A five day marathon, that's a lot for me.

Luckily had something to look forward to when I got home, got the first of my 5687s to compare, RCA bronze plate, here next to the Tung-Sol 5687WA I've been using in Zach's amp.

PXL_20211127_022932902-2.jpg

I wanted to test the viability of rolling input tubes on changing the tone of the amp, happy to say the effect is very noticeable. I felt the amp sounded a bit "dry" since changing to 5687, but I happened to read a few comments describing the Tung-Sol 5687WA as having a dry character. The RCAs, by comparison, are more full and smooth without the dryness. I would say I prefer them! Glad the amp can be tuned a bit using these tubes. Still waiting on the GE 5-star (which, believe it or not GE haters, have rave reviews) and Amperex E182CC, should have those early next week.

Waiting for some final parts, so figured out do some tube research for Zach in the meantime.

PXL_20211127_015615595.NIGHT-2.jpg

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #3,579 of 6,808

Long day at work, worked the holiday too, and through the weekend! A five day marathon, that's a lot for me.

Luckily had something to look forward to when I got home, got the first of my 5687s to compare, RCA bronze plate, here next to the Tung-Sol 5687WA I've been using in Zach's amp.

I wanted to test the viability of rolling input tubes on changing the tone of the amp, happy to say the effect is very noticeable. I felt the amp sounded a bit "dry" since changing to 5687, but I happened to read a few comments describing the Tung-Sol 5687WA as having a dry character. The RCAs, by comparison, are more full and smooth without the dryness. I would say I prefer them! Glad the amp can be tuned a bit using these tubes. Still waiting on the GE 5-star (which, believe it or not GE haters, have rave reviews) and Amperex E182CC, should have those early next week.

Waiting for some final parts, so figured out do some tube research for Zach in the meantime.

Quite the glow going on in that amp, blue phosphorescence from the tubes, green gamma glow from within…you need to take a pic with the lights off when it’s ready.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #3,581 of 6,808

Love this picture of it.

Maybe make an amp for some stats :)

I love the EL34 tubes... the Blue Hawaii with some nice stats is a sound I would like to hear. I really am not a fan of just the most detail that I can get, but I hear this sound is pretty incredible.

I am assuming here, but I am guessing any nice capable amp will sound pretty good with a nice stat headphone.

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #3,584 of 6,808
Mordy recommended these to me a few years ago and I was sceptic, even before I had 'met' bcowen, but I have often since had reasons to take Mordy's recommendations seriously. They are not bad at all. He neither.
LOL!

Despite a multitude of prior protestations, I really wanted to like these because they are plentiful and cheap. And I'd also heard that the GE's were well thought of in this tube type. I'll say they don't suck, but it's not like they're getting close to top-tier either.

I've never tried a GE 5687.

6C4WA GE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back