L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Aug 5, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #4,099 of 4,419
Pictures of the DNM Supertech cap beside the Mundorf MLGO

Slightly larger than the Mundorf.

Both caps in the board

Last weekend I exchanged the 2x 10.000µF Mundorf against the 2x 10.000 Supertech. My impression is that it gives a very very small bass definition improvement.
But that can be because i allredy have 30.000µF of pre filtering in front of them :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4,100 of 4,419
Yesterday I installed a LT3045 module ( of course with an 22µF CAP ) as an exchange vor the Analog Devices 3.3V LDO regulator on the USB input side of the SU-6. The effect is very interesting, and unexpected. I thought it would bring even more focus, but instead it brought blackness. It took a lot of fussiness from the highs. You also get the impression of calmness and quietness inside of yourself.

It’s like being intimae and alone with the artist in an absolute silent room. Very strange.

A first and very easy step in this direction was the 100µF Polymer CAP right beside the USB connector.

Singxer SU-6 USB.jpg

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #4,101 of 4,419
Yesterday I installed a LT3045 module ( of course with an 22µF CAP ) as an exchange vor the Analog Devices 3.3V LDO regulator on the USB input side of the SU-6. The effect is very interesting, and unexpected. I thought it would bring even more focus, but instead it brought blackness. It took a lot of fussiness from the highs. You also get the impression of calmness and quietness inside of yourself.

It’s like being intimae and alone with the artist in an absolute silent room. Very strange.

A first and very easy step in this direction was the 100µF Polymer CAP right beside the USB connector.

The galvanic isolator is not correctly connected.

Pins 7 and 10 on the IL717 are NO-Connection pins per NVE datasheet.
You connected these pins to 3.3V.
Wrong Isolator Connection.png

Fix this before you risk causing permanent damage.

Correct connection.
Correct Isolator Connection.png

Pinouts
IL717Pinouts.png

Clean up the soldering flux mess, it adds unwanted capacitance between the pins.
In the worst case, pins 5,6 and 11,12 have increased unwanted signal coupling.
They are in different directions you end up with the signals circling around the isolator like a merrry-go-round or carousel

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #4,102 of 4,419
Last weekend I exchanged the 2x 10.000µF Mundorf against the 2x 10.000 Supertech. My impression is that it gives a very very small bass definition improvement.
But that can be because i allredy have 30.000µF of pre filtering in front of them :xf_cool:
I posted about this on Jul 25th and you commented on Aug 5th.

Making judgements after a few days of usage is premature.
Electrolytic caps have settling in times especially these large ones.

How about posting photos of what you did ?

A cap costing 30% of the expensive Mundorf is able to hold its own, says to me the 10,000uF Mundorf is poor value for money.
A pair costs 60USD, including shipping and taxes this is closer to 80USD

I find the 10000uF Mundorf to be a slight improvement for a very high cost. I will not be buying any more.
Instead I bought 4 more of the Supertechs to upgrade my older MH-DA003
57213043-E226-4D7B-8958-88D4A132368A_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4,103 of 4,419
The galvanic isolator is not correctly connected.

Pins 7 and 10 on the IL717 are NO-Connection pins per NVE datasheet.
You connected these pins to 3.3V.
Wrong Isolator Connection.png

Fix this before you risk causing permanent damage.

Correct connection.
Correct Isolator Connection.png

Pinouts
IL717Pinouts.png

Clean up the soldering flux mess, it adds unwanted capacitance between the pins.
In the worst case, pins 5,6 and 11,12 have increased unwanted signal coupling.
They are in different directions you end up with the signals circling around the isolator like a merrry-go-round or carousel
Thanks B0bb for paying so much attention und watching over us. We all make mistakes from time to time. And it's good when someone tells you about it.
But in this case I think your wrong:

no (internal) connection (pin) (NC)​

A terminal that has no internal connection and that can be used as a support for external wiring without disturbing the function of the device, provided that the voltage applied to this terminal (by means of the wiring) does not exceed the highest supply voltage rating of the circuit.
NOTE 1 If higher voltages are acceptable, this should be stated.
NOTE 2 The IEC equivalent term is "blank terminal"; nevertheless, the IEC abbreviation is "NC".
References:
JESD21-C#, 1/97
JESD77-B, 2/00
JESD78A#, 2/06
JESD99B, 5/07

https://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/no-internal-connection-pin-nc

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #4,104 of 4,419
Thanks B0bb for paying so much attention und watching over us. We all make mistakes from time to time. And it's good when someone tells you about it.
But in this case I think your wrong:

no (internal) connection (pin) (NC)​

A terminal that has no internal connection and that can be used as a support for external wiring without disturbing the function of the device, provided that the voltage applied to this terminal (by means of the wiring) does not exceed the highest supply voltage rating of the circuit.
NOTE 1 If higher voltages are acceptable, this should be stated.
NOTE 2 The IEC equivalent term is "blank terminal"; nevertheless, the IEC abbreviation is "NC".
References:
JESD21-C#, 1/97
JESD77-B, 2/00
JESD78A#, 2/06
JESD99B, 5/07

https://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/no-internal-connection-pin-nc
Wrong.

NVE said no connection to the chip, you connected 3.3V.

NVE is only mechanically compliant to JEDEC for the pin creepage distances.

JEDEC is an advisory standard, manufacturers are under no obligation to follow all of it.

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,105 of 4,419
Some summer upgrades before tackling the "external power supply" project, all based on B0bb's recommendations from a few months ago. Basically higher capacity in some critical points and changes of 100nf mylar capacitors, and the Kemet Slit Foil of 10,000uf / 63v that have forced me to relocate some diodes due to their large size. Now shoot a few days to hear what happened.

Attachments

• 20210807_214315.jpg
    20210807_214315.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210807_214453.jpg
    20210807_214453.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210807_213500.jpg
    20210807_213500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210807_171846.jpg
    20210807_171846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #4,106 of 4,419
Algunas mejoras de verano antes de afrontar el proyecto de "fuente de alimentación externa", todas basadas en las recomendaciones de B0bb de hace unos meses. Básicamente mayor capacidad en algunos puntos críticos y cambios de condensadores mylar de 100nf, y el Kemet Slit Foil de 10.000uf / 63v que me han obligado a reubicar algunos diodos por su gran tamaño. Ahora rodar unos días para escuchar lo que pasó.
The reference resistor is high impedance, move it closer to the regulator reference pin to reduce noise pickup.
MoveThisResistor.png

Add the bypass cap in the previous position.
LT3083 is wide bandwidth, the bypass cap needs to be on the same side of the board.
Connecting it on the other side adds unwanted inductance.
ResistorBypass.png

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #4,107 of 4,419
Algunas mejoras de verano antes de afrontar el proyecto de "fuente de alimentación externa", todas basadas en las recomendaciones de B0bb de hace unos meses. Básicamente mayor capacidad en algunos puntos críticos y cambios de condensadores mylar de 100nf, y el Kemet Slit Foil de 10.000uf / 63v que me han obligado a reubicar algunos diodos por su gran tamaño. Ahora rodar unos días para escuchar lo que pasó.
The large caps will take a while to settle down.
Sound quality from the DAC will alternate between good and bad for a few weeks during this time.

The burn-in time can be reduced if the DAC is left powered on 24x7.

The 10,000uF ALC10S will benefit from additional bypass.
I added a 1uF 50V PPS cap at the input to the regulator.

Note this is the regulator input not between the 10,000uF cap.
1uFBypass.png

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #4,108 of 4,419
The reference resistor is high impedance, move it closer to the regulator reference pin to reduce noise pickup.
MoveThisResistor.png

LT3083 is wide bandwidth, the bypass cap needs to be on the same side of the board.
ResistorBypass.png
MoveThisResistor.png

ResistorBypass.png
Yes, right, that resistance should be behind in smd pads, I will correct it, the capacitor is soldered on the bottom side, I will put them as you say.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #4,109 of 4,419
The large caps will take a while to settle down.
Sound quality from the DAC will alternate between good and bad for a few weeks during this time.

The burn-in time can be reduced if the DAC is left powered on 24x7.

The 10,000uF ALC10S will benefit from additional bypass.
I added a 1uF 50V PPS cap at the input to the regulator.

Note this is the regulator input not between the 10,000uF cap.
1uFBypass.png
Ok thanks, I did not know about this condenser, I will install them in that place, I will have patience in the burning process.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #4,110 of 4,419
Some summer upgrades before tackling the "external power supply" project, all based on B0bb's recommendations from a few months ago. Basically higher capacity in some critical points and changes of 100nf mylar capacitors, and the Kemet Slit Foil of 10,000uf / 63v that have forced me to relocate some diodes due to their large size. Now shoot a few days to hear what happened.
Great idea putting the rectifier diodes under the PCB to have space for the capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back