L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Feb 14, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #3,286 of 4,419
Check the DC offset voltage between the +ve xlr terminal and turn the trimmer of the corresponding opamp until the difference is below 5mV
Repeat for the -ve xlr terminal, repeat for the other channel.
Double check the DC offset on the RCA outputs and adjust the associated trimmer of its opamp if required.

The opamps are straight thru meaning left most opamp connects to leftmost xlr pin

Thank you b0bb !!
I read your instructions carefully, but I lack understanding of balanced output offset voltage adjustment.

Is the idea to ~zero the voltage of each xlr terminal wrt ground
(of each channel) with the corresponding trimpot ?

So I drew up a block diagram to summarize what I learn/know so far (errors in the diagram are all mine).

LKS-004 has two ES9038.
Each ES9038 has four outputs (L, R, LB, RB), how are they connected to the op amp ?

Attachments

• dac_analog.jpg
    dac_analog.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #3,288 of 4,419
It's finally done - I decided to spend my Sunday afternoon wisely.

Below, you can see the four original 0.5W I/V resistors (much smaller ones mounted under the PCB) have been replaced by Vishay CPF3 61.9Ω 3W resistors mounted on top next to the capacitors. There is little room underneath with the heat spreader bar so I thought they would be better mounted on top.

Secondly, the two large electrolytic Vcom capacitors have been replaced by two low leakage 100uF 10V tantalums.

50941902253_a2ab720370_o.jpg

I've only just reassembled it all and got it hooked up to the system, so it's early days and the new components will need some burning in. However, right from the off I can tell that this is going to be the final icing on the cake. There is no overall change in balance or presentation, or even detail, but there is a clarification of the image, a reduction in slight blurring when the mix gets busy, and further tightening of the bass (the effect of the Vcom caps). There is also the removal of the tiniest 'sheen' to the proceedings, giving further insight into how strings are plucked, enunciation of vocals etc. It's a small thing, noticeable on some vocals but not others.

I really like this DAC, it suits my preference for how music should be portrayed. I find myself listening more these days, rather than less, indicating that the essentials are all in place. My thanks go to @b0bb and @Xoverman .

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #3,289 of 4,419
Stock mh-da004 tends to be cold/bright.
I copycat B0bb's wet tantalum capacitor 150uF upgrade.
Got the wet tantalum from
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Tansitor/109D157X9010C2/?qs=GDo1UeZ%2BmvIxv47/FOPtLA==
The original cap is a 12uF noname "black" cap.

This mod totally removes the edginess of mh-da004, it puts/shifts emphasis to
the more pleasing mid range and bass, but it also surrenders a tiny bit of top end.
It sounds more relax and as Xoverman said one can listen to it for a long period of time.

Thank you B0bb !
Would these work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-SPRAGUE-109D-Wet-Slug-Tantalum-Capacitors-150uF-30V/284021664990?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
109D Wet Slug Tantalum Capacitors 150uF/ 30V

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #3,291 of 4,419
Delete...

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #3,293 of 4,419
It's finally done - I decided to spend my Sunday afternoon wisely.

Below, you can see the four original 0.5W I/V resistors (much smaller ones mounted under the PCB) have been replaced by Vishay CPF3 61.9Ω 3W resistors mounted on top next to the capacitors. There is little room underneath with the heat spreader bar so I thought they would be better mounted on top.

Secondly, the two large electrolytic Vcom capacitors have been replaced by two low leakage 100uF 10V tantalums.

50941902253_a2ab720370_o.jpg

I've only just reassembled it all and got it hooked up to the system, so it's early days and the new components will need some burning in. However, right from the off I can tell that this is going to be the final icing on the cake. There is no overall change in balance or presentation, or even detail, but there is a clarification of the image, a reduction in slight blurring when the mix gets busy, and further tightening of the bass (the effect of the Vcom caps). There is also the removal of the tiniest 'sheen' to the proceedings, giving further insight into how strings are plucked, enunciation of vocals etc. It's a small thing, noticeable on some vocals but not others.

I really like this DAC, it suits my preference for how music should be portrayed. I find myself listening more these days, rather than less, indicating that the essentials are all in place. My thanks go to @b0bb and @Xoverman .
Nice work. Curious, how warm are those 3W resistors getting? Was wondering why they were put on the bottom side of the board in the first place and not the top

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,294 of 4,419
Nice work. Curious, how warm are those 3W resistors getting? Was wondering why they were put on the bottom side of the board in the first place and not the top
Good question - they were small 0.5W resistors placed where they would get hot. I haven't touched the new ones after a good warm-up, so I can't tell but I do know they will be stable in the air of the main chassis as I cover the top vents by more than half to stop them ringing like chimes. Dynamics are up so they don't suffer as much from thermal throttling.

@b0bb I meant to ask if the blue parallel I/V caps are worth changing for anything better?

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,295 of 4,419
Good question - they were small 0.5W resistors placed where they would get hot. I haven't touched the new ones after a good warm-up, so I can't tell but I do know they will be stable in the air of the main chassis as I cover the top vents by more than half to stop them ringing like chimes. Dynamics are up so they don't suffer as much from thermal throttling.

@b0bb I meant to ask if the blue parallel I/V caps are worth changing for anything better?

Are these the resistors you used? Need to take my unit apart to check the values, is yours version 2 of this DAC?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/CPF361R900BEE14/?qs=kPTqIjks3ML4M3KHaSCR3A==

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #3,296 of 4,419
Feb 18, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #3,298 of 4,419
Per b0bb's suggestion,
I re-adjusted the offset voltage of each op-amp after the Vcom 109D Wet tantalum cap replacement.
I wrote down the voltage of each terminal before and after the adjustment (see attachment).
Just a few milli Volt makes a big difference in sound.
Strongly recommend this adjustment after the Vcom cap mod.

Attachments

• dac_analog.jpg
    dac_analog.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #3,299 of 4,419
LKS changed to ceramics on the Gen2.
Ceramics have low ESR but lacks the ripple current capacity.
Need the current capability to drive the very long trace lengths on the 004, seems like a very odd choice to go to ceramics.

I swapped the stock 470uF to 820uF with about 3x increase in ripple current capability, there is still a ceramic bypass so ESR is not expected to be an issue.
The 820uF is a newer line of the FP cap series
Ok, so I am collecting parts to do these mods, and I have the DS90LV032A, but it looks like there's an smd cap in there. I haven't pulled the amanero assy back out, so I don't know if there's any provisions for an electrolytic under there. Is this what yours looked like pre-mod? If so, what cap should I select for this location. Sorry for being a pita...

Attachments

• 20210217_211124.jpg
    20210217_211124.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210217_210532.jpg
    20210217_210532.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #3,300 of 4,419
Ok, so I am collecting parts to do these mods, and I have the DS90LV032A, but it looks like there's an smd cap in there. I haven't pulled the amanero assy back out, so I don't know if there's any provisions for an electrolytic under there. Is this what yours looked like pre-mod? If so, what cap should I select for this location. Sorry for being a pita...
Your board is different from mine.
A better photo showing the cap looking directly from top down is needed.
The side view obscures any sign of the potential mounting holes for the electrolytic cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back