L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Dec 20, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #2,461 of 4,419
It depends on whether the LKS is stock or modified.

The 004 is almost 3 years old now and the competition (Denafrips, Gustard, Holo etc) have closed the gap and I think the stock performance is pretty ordinary today.
LKS has not done anything in that time and has been cost cutting eg the XO regulator went from 1A to 200mA, effectively shutting the door on drop in low cost OCXOs replacements from Abracon.

The price cuts on the LKS004 we see now should not come as a surprise.

In that time, Denafrips released 2 versions of the ARES and the ARES2 NOS mode means HQPlayer can now do the heavy computational lifting. I am less concerned with the conversion technology provided DSD is properly supported. It is on the ARES 2.

DSD's SDM modulation has many advantages on paper, unfortunately I have not heard a chip or FPGA based implementation that I liked, in many cases being much worse than PCM
HQPlayer brings a substantial increase in computational power to the table in the form of CPU+GPU, the transformation is night and day.

Moving the DSP filter and upsampling processing to the PC produced such large improvements in sound quality, it made the hardware mods (XO, cap swaps, voltage regulators etc) seem like small incremental changes.

I agreed on many counts, FPGA is noisy and still very limited in development for audiophile based. Even Chord is using a customized FPGA which is developed by others....Delta-Sigma is perfect on paper but there are still too many limitations to bring out and about the precision’s of Digital music to improve the performances....phase timing noises/errors....capacitors piezoelectric effects....resistors tolerances.....etc....it isn’t easy to bring about the optimal performances of the modern Delta-sigma Chips.
Yes, HQplayer is excellent since with a great built-pc, you can have it do Delta-sigma modulation on the fly...However, Offline processing would be even better, since the program, the CPU can take as long as they need to optimize the modulations of Oversampling processing. This is why I value the next HQplayer4Pro which allows offline Sigma-delta processing and store it into a MicroSD. Nowadays, MicroSD is 1Tb, so storage should not be any issues any longer.... even with DSD512

not to mention that different Delta-Sigma modulators would bring about different sounds....and good thing is that HQplayer4Pro has many :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #2,462 of 4,419
I agreed on many counts, FPGA is noisy and still very limited in development for audiophile based. Even Chord is using a customized FPGA which is developed by others....Delta-Sigma is perfect on paper but there are still too many limitations to bring out and about the precision’s of Digital music to improve the performances....phase timing noises/errors....capacitors piezoelectric effects....resistors tolerances.....etc....it isn’t easy to bring about the optimal performances of the modern Delta-sigma Chips.
Yes, HQplayer is excellent since with a great built-pc, you can have it do Delta-sigma modulation on the fly...However, Offline processing would be even better, since the program, the CPU can take as long as they need to optimize the modulations of Oversampling processing. This is why I value the next HQplayer4Pro which allows offline Sigma-delta processing and store it into a MicroSD. Nowadays, MicroSD is 1Tb, so storage should not be any issues any longer.... even with DSD512

not to mention that different Delta-Sigma modulators would bring about different sounds....and good thing is that HQplayer4Pro has many :wink:

HQPlayer4 Pro is one way to go, here is one reason I did not mention it.
hqplayerpro.png

I have been buying recordings made natively at DSD512, sizes vary from 16-25Gb so a 1Tb SSD will hold only 40 albums.
This places a limit on the practicality of converting and storing redbook 44k tracks converted to DSD512.

DSD512 files are so big that it constantly breaks NativeDSD's download tool.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #2,463 of 4,419
Personally, i soldered some small pure silver wires to the TCXO pads and then soldered them to a RHEA board, which is made by twisted pear . I already had placed a modified 14dip in that pads available for that in the dac board to allow easy switching of the Dac clock.

TI, thank you.

Comparing the datasheets of the original XTAL and TCXO:
the solder footprint of TCXO is less by 2mm in both xy direction.
Did you have to solder some breakouts (legs) or
you just dropped it in the PCB`s pads without any issue ????

Operating Supply Voltage:3.3 V
Current Rating:15 mA
Output Format:HCMOS
Termination Style:SMD/SMT
Length:7.5 mm
Width:5.08 mm
Height:2.5 mm
Series:CCHD-575
Brand:Crystek Corporation

Operating Supply Voltage:3.3 V
Current Rating:45 mA
Output Format:LVCMOS
Termination Style:SMD/SMT
Length:5 mm
Width:3.2 mm
Height:0.87 mm
Series:SiT5157
Product Type:TCXO Oscillators

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #2,464 of 4,419
Personally, i soldered some small pure silver wires to the TCXO pads and then soldered them to a RHEA board, which is made by twisted pear . I already had placed a modified 14dip in that pads available for that in the dac board to allow easy switching of the Dac clock.

Thank you very much, TI! I ordered a 5357 0.1ppm (the 5357 appears to be same as 5157 except meets some Mil-spec enviro requirements). The spec sheet wants a 0.1mfd and a 10mfd diode paralleled across the power supply and “as close to vdd pin as possible, typically within 1 to 2mm” and further that the 0.1mfd must be closest to the vdd/GND pins. What diodes did you use and how close did you get them? Would you mind sharing a picture of the instl? Did you tie all NC pins to ground as recommended (not required)?

edited to add:
I just pulled the SiTime design and layout practices doc (https://www.sitime.com/api/gated/AN10006-Best-Design-Layout-Practices.pdf) and it implies that those diodes are not necessary unless the output frequency is above 150Mhz, so I reckon we don’t need them(?). Pretty interesting read, either way.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2,465 of 4,419
Hi

I didn´t read the spec sheet at detail, so i didn´t know about the diodes, so i didn´t installed it.

Anyway, i didn´t connect the NC pins to ground (Only one is connected but is more to secure the tcxo with four legs, one leg in which corner/pad).

I don´t have here with me any picture but it is a simple install only the wires soldered to the pads then the wires soldered to RHEA board pads.

Also it has been working fine for me like this for months, so i didn´t bother to perfect the TCXO instalation.My spaire time is limited....

Best

Tiago

Thank you very much, TI! I ordered a 5357 0.1ppm (the 5357 appears to be same as 5157 except meets some Mil-spec enviro requirements). The spec sheet wants a 0.1mfd and a 10mfd diode paralleled across the power supply and “as close to vdd pin as possible, typically within 1 to 2mm” and further that the 0.1mfd must be closest to the vdd/GND pins. What diodes did you use and how close did you get them? Would you mind sharing a picture of the instl? Did you tie all NC pins to ground as recommended (not required)?

edited to add:
I just pulled the SiTime design and layout practices doc (https://www.sitime.com/api/gated/AN10006-Best-Design-Layout-Practices.pdf) and it implies that those diodes are not necessary unless the output frequency is above 150Mhz, so I reckon we don’t need them(?). Pretty interesting read, either way.

thanks in advance!

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,466 of 4,419
Hi there!! I'm new to this forum!! I own an mh-da004 since about 1 year, and during the last two months I've been listening this dac a lot. When I first listened this dac, it was hooked up with a different desktop pc and it was working fine. Now I'm experiencing a lot of clicks and pops when hooked up to my new desktop pc through the amanero usb. I've tried to fix the problem in many ways: setting properly the win10 energy management, updating any peripheral drivers, adding a usb pcie board, replacing usb cable with a better one, made a latency test etc etc... nothing worked for me!! Always clicks and pops. I also own an smsl m8 dac and the weird thing is that this one work fine....no noise. What's wrong with this dac?. Is it faulty?? Have you had any problem like this? Any suggestion? Thank You in advance for your help!! P.S Sorry for my bed English.:slight_smile:
You say it was working fine with a different desktop pc. I assume that was also through the Amanero board. Is that correct? If so, then the Amanero board and the DAC are working correctly and the problem would appear to be with the second desktop pc. Are you sure that you have correctly installed the Amanero Windows 10 driver in the second desktop pc?

If you think have correctly installed the Amanero driver and it still doesn't work correctly, you might consult your pc manufacturer for support.

The only other suggeestion I can make, if everything else seems OK. is to update the Amanero firmware. But I'm not sure that would solve what seems to be a computer problem.

I use an old Asus laptop pc with usb out to the Amanero board. It works beautifully.

Today I've connected a laptop to the da004 and result was about the same.... clicks and pops as always but a little bit less. Other than that I've noticed that for the first 15 mins there are no clicks. Now I'm more convinced that I own a faulty DAC!!! Am I the only one? Maybe the fact that this problem came out when I bought a new desktop pc is just a coincidence!!

Dec 23, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,467 of 4,419
I just wanted to bring everyone up to date and confirm that the LKS digital volume control is very impressive and does not impact sound quality. I recently managed to acquire a Burson AB-160 XLR buffer, which is incredibly transparent. It solved the problem of the LKS not having sufficient drive to run my power amp directly. Through the Burson, there is incredible potency in both slam and bass extension. This has rendered my Pass Labs preamp superfluous so I sold it and bought another regenerator, a PS Audio Stellar P3. Now I run all my source components from the P3 and the power amp from the P10. Volume is handled by the LKS.

With this setup, sound quality is the best yet. The LKS runs around the -19dB to -16dB volume range, depending on music. It's easy to use and controls volume very well. This chain of DAC -> buffer -> power amp is excellent, simple and with the least number of components in the signal path. I am well pleased with the result.

Dec 23, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,468 of 4,419
I just wanted to bring everyone up to date and confirm that the LKS digital volume control is very impressive and does not impact sound quality. I recently managed to acquire a Burson AB-160 XLR buffer, which is incredibly transparent. It solved the problem of the LKS not having sufficient drive to run my power amp directly. Through the Burson, there is incredible potency in both slam and bass extension. This has rendered my Pass Labs preamp superfluous so I sold it and bought another regenerator, a PS Audio Stellar P3. Now I run all my source components from the P3 and the power amp from the P10. Volume is handled by the LKS.

With this setup, sound quality is the best yet. The LKS runs around the -19dB to -16dB volume range, depending on music. It's easy to use and controls volume very well. This chain of DAC -> buffer -> power amp is excellent, simple and with the least number of components in the signal path. I am well pleased with the result.
In this vein I might mention the new Schiit Freya preamps offering fully balanced passive, differential buffer (no gain) or differential buffer with 12db of either SS gain or tube gain depending on the model. The SS version has been received very well in the various forums and I can personally vouch for the new tube version. It performs way, way above its price especially with a pair of NOS tubes. The Schiit preamp is far from perfect, but introducing a tube stage into the system reveals LKS performance at new levels.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #2,469 of 4,419

Signalyst price
In this vein I might mention the new Schiit Freya preamps offering fully balanced passive, differential buffer (no gain) or differential buffer with 12db of either SS gain or tube gain depending on the model. The SS version has been received very well in the various forums and I can personally vouch for the new tube version. It performs way, way above its price especially with a pair of NOS tubes. The Schiit preamp is far from perfect, but introducing a tube stage into the system reveals LKS performance at new levels.
Lenny, didn't you tell me off when I said it's a good idea to introduce some tubes into the overall system?

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,473 of 4,419
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you have a solid state system and feel the need for tubes to soften the sound or take the edge off, I would say look at your digital chain more carefully. Pay attention to power supplies, supports, grounding and cables.

I fully understand those who just like the tube sound and have an all-tube system. However, adding tubes as a band aid is almost never fixing the root cause issues.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,474 of 4,419
I do not wish to go far off topic. But I must say my system was fine. While I appreciate your advice, I have been doing this stuff for a very, very long time. There was no edge to take off. Modern tube designs do not, or should not, soften the sound. What I have found using this preamp and a couple of (not very expensive) NOS tubes is an easily noticed increase in the three dimensionality of instruments within an enlarged sound-stage. Also, more of a you-are-there/it-is-here sensation. I have a sense that I might also find this with a very expensive modern SS device, but what I have found with a relatively low expenditure was IMO worth reporting in context. On topic, it reveals that the LKS had more to give than I had supposed.

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #2,475 of 4,419
Ok, with that I agree, the LKS has very much to give. I find it hard to believe the detail retrieval which seems endless on occasion. Buying the LKS back at the beginning of 2019 was one of my all-time best hi-fi purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back