L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
May 2, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #646 of 4,419
The "Audio-GD - R2R 7 HE" looks to be nearly 3 times the price of the 004 when purchaseed new! There 'should be' some sort of 'improvement' if you splash out (up to) another £2000!!
I don’t buy the HE version, just the regular one, and no....I used lks004 as a point of references to work on the r2r7 and make it sound what it does now. They are different, and like I said, the upgrades wires to the 004 Amanero into the board also brings improvements. I just never known that it would, until I worked on r2r7. Hence I never bothered until now

May 4, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #647 of 4,419
Ok. I sold my Hugo 2. And now I'm looking for a new DAC as I give headphones a miss.
My speaker setup found the Hugo 2 too bright.
The MH-DA004 is on my short list... But the R2R-7 looks tempting too. It would come down to which is the more laid back and easy on the ears.
So which has the least bite in the low treble? That is key for me... Looking to relax to music... also low-level listening preferred.

May 4, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #648 of 4,419
Ok. I sold my Hugo 2. And now I'm looking for a new DAC as I give headphones a miss.
My speaker setup found the Hugo 2 too bright.
The MH-DA004 is on my short list... But the R2R-7 looks tempting too. It would come down to which is the more laid back and easy on the ears.
So which has the least bite in the low treble? That is key for me... Looking to relax to music... also low-level listening preferred.

Can't you simply reduce the treble on your physical pot on your (pre/integrated) amp, or reduce the treble in your EQ or software based sound shaping app.?

May 4, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #649 of 4,419
Can't you simply reduce the treble on your physical pot on your (pre/integrated) amp, or reduce the treble in your EQ or software based sound shaping app.?

I'm running headless with minimserver. I don't have EQ, but you're right... as a last resort I could do that, just hoping I won't need to.
The one thing the Hugo 2 got right was the low treble, I had the Hugo 1 and it was too aggressive around 2khz. Just hoping I can find the Hugo 2 delicacy but better tone/balance in the right DAC.

May 4, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #650 of 4,419
I'm running headless with minimserver. I don't have EQ, but you're right... as a last resort I could do that, just hoping I won't need to.
The one thing the Hugo 2 got right was the low treble, I had the Hugo 1 and it was too aggressive around 2khz. Just hoping I can find the Hugo 2 delicacy but better tone/balance in the right DAC.

Of course people would say that you are suffering from digital harshness and to achieve that mellow treble you should perhaps consider an all analogue setup e.g. vinyl, reel to reel, cassette in order to achieve the ultimate rich, deep, pure warmth and softness that you desire? I have been asked to consider the same thing many times myself, but haven't yet gone down that route!

May 4, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #651 of 4,419
Of course people would say that you are suffering from digital harshness and to achieve that mellow treble you should perhaps consider an all analogue setup e.g. vinyl, reel to reel, cassette in order to achieve the ultimate rich, deep, pure warmth and softness that you desire? I have been asked to consider the same thing many times myself, but haven't yet gone down that route!
I'll have to etch my CD's to vinyl. ...in the mean time, I think I'm going to grab a DA004. I'm going to drink on it...see how I feel in the morning.

May 4, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #652 of 4,419
Is using singxer su-1 with the DA004 over kill?
Or just get the upgrading usb option is enough?have anyone compare them yet

May 4, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #653 of 4,419
Don’t have Singxer, but if Singxer has converted usb into i2s output and input toward 004, then that is fine. The 004 Amanero upgraded module still have those brass Pins connections which negatively affect the sound as I recently found out. Just that it is so good in covering the errors up.

But I always preferred Coax input over usb from before, and now I understand why.

May 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #654 of 4,419
Is using singxer su-1 with the DA004 over kill?
Or just get the upgrading usb option is enough?have anyone compare them yet

If you talk to Jinbo at LKS he'll tell you not to waste your money. He said they did extensive testing and listening and that the latest Amanero board via USB direct from the computer equals or exceeds I2S in sound capabilities. I went ahead and believed him because I was ready to splurge on an I2S conversion box.

May 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #656 of 4,419
If you talk to Jinbo at LKS he'll tell you not to waste your money. He said they did extensive testing and listening and that the latest Amanero board via USB direct from the computer equals or exceeds I2S in sound capabilities. I went ahead and believed him because I was ready to splurge on an I2S conversion box.

That makes senses, because Singxer is usb converter. So it just take UsB from a source, process and convert it. It is different than Direct and dedicated I2S transport

May 4, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #659 of 4,419
Don’t have Singxer, but if Singxer has converted usb into i2s output and input toward 004, then that is fine. The 004 Amanero upgraded module still have those brass Pins connections which negatively affect the sound as I recently found out. Just that it is so good in covering the errors up.

But I always preferred Coax input over usb from before, and now I understand why.
Is there any point in replacing the power supply with something else for the Amanero board?

May 4, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #660 of 4,419
crap! I've just splurged on an i2s board; will report back my findings once I get it by paying the massive UK Customs fee! (on top of the cost of the item and international postage)!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back