L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Apr 2, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #32 of 4,419
does anybody know if the I2S HDMI plug is compatible with the PS Audio pins?
For example I know the new Matrix Pro is..and unfortunately my Gustard is not (HDMI, but different pins)

How about looking for a pins out arrangement no PS audio then compare to 004 ? I don't have PS audio or familiar with it

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #33 of 4,419
This unit only run up to 33 C in temperature measured with a temp gun. Internally it could only get up to 10 more degree, so 45C maximum ? My ambient is 25C, so that it runs 8-10C more than the ambient. If you live in hot climates about 34C, then it should run up to 45C and internally unto 60C and that is super hot. I still think it is well within specs. But those are pure speculations. Mine is happily running 33C

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 4,419
Whitigir did you buy the version with the upgrade USB? Looks like they have introduced an upgraded USB model which may negate the Intona for USB.
I see that the I2S input can take up to 768k where as USB is 384k. Have you tried different inputs yet? The way this Dac is designed it looks like even the Singxer SU1 may not be necessary. 

This dac looks very good on paper. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #37 of 4,419

Thanks,
Figured it out....it takes the CR2025....same as the Gustard remote.  This DAC is huge!

By the way, the heatsinks on the 9038s get pretty darn warm....almost hot....this indicates for sure they are 9038 as the 9028 you can leave your finger directly on the chip forever and practically feel nothing.  Cannot remove the heatsinks as they are epoxied to the chip.

Also the Jensen caps have morphed into Mundorfs.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #39 of 4,419
OK, but the CR2025 from my Gustard remote makes it work.

Yes, there are no Jensen caps....instead there are Mundorf caps.....in mine...don't know what you have.

I will give a short listen some time later this week.....got to get into modding the Sonica first (poor thing, only has one 9038 (also with heatsink....ceramic type).

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #41 of 4,419
I paid millions extra to get those exotic caps.....he he......no, they probably could not get enough Jensens in time so they just switched brands.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #42 of 4,419
Well, we will see if modifying the 004 will net in much better results ? IMO, the 004 sound is beautiful and exotic so far, the only concern would be the Nichicon finegold Capacitors longevity. They should last upto 3-5 years just fine though

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #43 of 4,419
Well, we will see if modifying the 004 will net in much better results ? IMO, the 004 sound is beautiful and exotic so far, the only concern would be the Nichicon finegold Capacitors longevity. They should last upto 3-5 years just fine though

The 003 sounded very average to my ears and needed changes. For some reason the Crystek 575 XO just didn't perform. The upgrades made a big difference, turning the DAC from something I didn't want to listen to into a very nice sounding unit.

The 004, as you say, sounds really good out of the box (even with the 575!). So my gut feel is that any improvements/gains brought about by mods could well be less noticeable. 

I bought this unit as a modification platform, so I will be hacking away once it has burned in and I get some free time. First targets will be the easy ones, namely the XO and the analogue rectifiers.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #44 of 4,419
Hm, if swapping out the crystek can improve that much, then it will be worth it. Which one are you swapping into ? Regarding my stalling issues, it only happen when I powered up and use it right away, when I let it warm up for 10 minutes, I don't have it....strange.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 4,419
Hm, if swapping out the crystek can improve that much, then it will be worth it. Which one are you swapping into ? Regarding my stalling issues, it only happen when I powered up and use it right away, when I let it warm up for 10 minutes, I don't have it....strange.

I will put in a 4 pin (14 pin size) DIP board - it fits in the holes outside of the stock XO - and try at least a couple of different XO's. I'll probably try the Crystek 950 first. I fitted this in the 003, and it made a positive difference. And then there are the Pulsars, but they are orders of magnitude more expensive.

If I am honest, the 575 actually sounds fine in the 004. I also have the 575 in my Eastern Electric DAC and it sounds good there too. Both b0bb and I found the 575 to sound thin and somewhat brittle in the 003. 

I guess it's just horses for courses and implementations. The good thing is that it is fairly easy to try different XO's once the DIP board is in place. No soldering required, just pop them in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back