L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,306 of 4,419
Hey all, haven't been around in awhile, been LOVING the DAC with all the mods! Really do not want to tinker anymore, it sounds that good. Unfortunately, my aging Anthem D2V preamp might be on the way out. My preamp has a balanced input which I am using with the LKS DAC. I am running fully balanced, amp, preamp and DAC.

Should I be overly concerned in purchasing a preamp that doesn't have a balanced input? Or am I getting a bit nuts over nothing?
Run it balanced, RCA out on the 004 uses an active filter, balanced is passive.

There is about 20% amplitude overshoot on the RCA outs on the step response tests, this makes for the trashy high frequency glare some people complain about.

PS finally got around to modifying the SU2 to use 768kHz sampling, added a supercap controller to it. SU6 is now on the shelf.
Nice B0bb! Did you make a post somewhere detailing this mod? I assume I can do this with my Kitsune SU2 as well? Always costing me $$$ every time I login :wink:

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #4,307 of 4,419
Nice B0bb! Did you make a post somewhere detailing this mod? I assume I can do this with my Kitsune SU2 as well? Always costing me $$$ every time I login :wink:
SU-2 thread.

This is the supercap + controller.

I also changed the isolators to low noise GMR ones and replaced all the second stage regulators.
Will try to get those posted over the weekend.

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,308 of 4,419
I'm after my humble mod. Few years back I've replaced IV resistors to the foil ones.
Now I have changed:
1. Vcom capacitors to hermetically sealed solid tantalums
2. 22uF capacitor for the LT3042 aka Xoverman's mod
3. PSU amanero upgrade according to b0bb's instructions.

To cut the long story short DAC sounds much better, the changes are substantial.
Sound is "bigger" and "faster", bass is more powerful but without being boomy, soundstage is also better - instruments are easier to localize. For now I don't hear any drawbacks of my mod but midrange is slighly recessed.

Big thanks for this thread.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #4,309 of 4,419
I'm after my humble mod. Few years back I've replaced IV resistors to the foil ones.
Now I have changed:
1. Vcom capacitors to hermetically sealed solid tantalums
2. 22uF capacitor for the LT3042 aka Xoverman's mod
3. PSU amanero upgrade according to b0bb's instructions.

To cut the long story short DAC sounds much better, the changes are substantial.
Sound is "bigger" and "faster", bass is more powerful but without being boomy, soundstage is also better - instruments are easier to localize. For now I don't hear any drawbacks of my mod but midrange is slighly recessed.

Big thanks for this thread.
Midrange muddynes comes from vibration reaching the crystal oscillators.
If you still have the transformers inside the DAC, attach the DAC to the biggest stone panel you can find. Stick it as tight to the store as possible. This way the vibration energy of the transformers have to move the DAC and the stone. Set the stone on sylomer dampening feet to isolat the stone from the flore vibrations. You're going to be suppressed. :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #4,310 of 4,419
Midrange muddynes comes from vibration reaching the crystal oscillators.
If you still have the transformers inside the DAC, attach the DAC to the biggest stone panel you can find. Stick it as tight to the store as possible. This way the vibration energy of the transformers have to move the DAC and the stone. Set the stone on sylomer dampening feet to isolat the stone from the flore vibrations. You're going to be suppressed. :)

Maybe thick rubber (used in industry, vibroisolation) between the enclosure and the toroids will do the job?

https://www.wibroizolacjapolska.pl/...oizolatory-wibroizolacyjne-elementy-gumowe-G/

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #4,311 of 4,419
The rubber tiles below are designed to reduce propagation of sound waves, scattering vibrational energy in the sonic frequency range.
tile1.jpeg
tile2.jpg

I use a simplified version.
This fits into the "audiophile" superexotic category
  • Extremely hard to find, very occasionally shows up on Fleabay
  • Available in quantity but only in very difficult circumstances
  • Designed for another even more exotic purpose

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #4,314 of 4,419
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #4,316 of 4,419
Long overdue attention to the analog supply.

TL1431 reference, upside is dynamic impedance is 50% lower than the stock TL431 part, down side is higher noise output.

The reference is bypassed by a noise reduction cap, so the downside has less impact.
Lower dynamic impedance means a lot better bass from the 004

1924D6C5-B888-4593-8535-788A650A37E5_1_105_c.jpeg

Mounted on the DAC
A08A91BE-08EB-41DB-875F-BB24595B4535_1_105_c.jpeg

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #4,318 of 4,419
Long overdue attention to the analog supply.

TL1431 reference, upside is dynamic impedance is 50% lower than the stock TL431 part, down side is higher noise output.

The reference is bypassed by a noise reduction cap, so the downside has less impact.
Lower dynamic impedance means a lot better bass from the 004

1924D6C5-B888-4593-8535-788A650A37E5_1_105_c.jpeg

Mounted on the DAC
A08A91BE-08EB-41DB-875F-BB24595B4535_1_105_c.jpeg
Thank you for another great mod. May I ask you how and where you attached the bypass cap for the reference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back