L.K.S. Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC - Van Damme's double impact?
Mar 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #1,966 of 4,419
I do notice a tilt towards the high end, but that may well be the headphones used with it. , but I think that this may really be the clarity that I hear. I have had "bright" equipment that actually is painful at times to listen to.
I completely agree. The vast wealth of fine detail and the amazing attack on transients makes the brain think 'bright'. However, my LKS has settled down after a couple of hundred hours and the brain has readjusted to its incredible resolution. It isn't bright but it sure does provide insight into the music. It opens up the window into the performance (especially using I2S) such that I am still amazed at what was captured in the recording.

Strangely, I am only doing a few mods to it soon because it is that good already. So, clock and resistors, then I shall be very pleased with the sound for years to come. This, together with Qobuz, has transformed my listening experience.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,967 of 4,419
I agree with u mandrake50. I too use my lks with a gustard h20 and couldn’t be happier. I attended canjam in New York and tried to listen to as many high end setups as I could in one day (slightly overwhelming) and came home and was glad to put my senn 800,s with this setup. Sounded close to the best I heard there. I also enjoy my fostex Purple Hearts on this setup, a little more slam than the senns. The lks and gustard give u a lot of bang for the $. U could spend 2 to 3 time as much and only achieve a marginal improvement in sound. I’m pretty content now and have quelled my desire for upgraditis. I also own a kte spring holo but I prefer the lks for headphone listening, the spring is in my stereo system. Anyone on the fence about lks I don’t think u can go wrong for the $.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #1,968 of 4,419
The power handling Charcroft resistors rating is 0.4W, that is 20% below the stock value of the Gen2 DACs
This is inadequate, power handling being worse than stock. The stock Gen2 resistor power handling is already a compromise compared to the Gen1 units

Power handling drops to 0.2W at its maximum temperature range, this is 30% below the max for the DAC at 0.3W

https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/charcroft_datasheet.pdf

Texas Components makes the higher powered versions of this resistor (0.8W, 1.2W etc) and ships to destinations outside of the US.

Modifications should be taken one step at a time, if too many things are changed at once and you do not like the end result it can be both frustrating and expensive to fix.
If you want to get a better idea, take look at the LKS MH DA003 page in the Computer Audio section on the changes.
Hi b0bb , maybe you know which exactly resistor i need what value in my calculation it's 68.1 ohm.

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_124659.jpg
    IMG_20190302_124659.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,969 of 4,419
I agree with u mandrake50. I too use my lks with a gustard h20 and couldn’t be happier. I attended canjam in New York and tried to listen to as many high end setups as I could in one day (slightly overwhelming) and came home and was glad to put my senn 800,s with this setup. Sounded close to the best I heard there. I also enjoy my fostex Purple Hearts on this setup, a little more slam than the senns. The lks and gustard give u a lot of bang for the $. U could spend 2 to 3 time as much and only achieve a marginal improvement in sound. I’m pretty content now and have quelled my desire for upgraditis. I also own a kte spring holo but I prefer the lks for headphone listening, the spring is in my stereo system. Anyone on the fence about lks I don’t think u can go wrong for the $.
+1

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,970 of 4,419
Hi again,
I am curious about mods. First with the I/V resistors. There seems to be concerns both about quality and power handling. The sound quality of resistors is a subject I can't address, but power handling is something I am familiar with. If the resistors are operating in spec, other than possibly longevity, are the stock resistors a problem from this perspective. I think I would be more likely to replace these if it is a failure mode problem.

Overall though I am curious to learn more specifics about what the different clock changes and resistor changes do for the sound. Has anyone taken any test data showing specific changes in performance?
I am aware that all sound changes don't translate to measurements so maybe some kind of description of the perceived sound changes would help in motivating me one way or another.
BTW I have been compulsive about optimizing different systems in the past. I have agonized of making many things from engines, to electric motors and even other audio gear. Not that long ago I spent lots of time and money rebuilding my Hafler DH500. About 40 damn caps, output modules etc. So I have no problem doing things if there is a reasonable expectation of return on investment. So I am just trying to figure out whether I can see where doing some of the previously discussed mods would be worth my time and money.
Maybe someone can tell me what differences in SQ they have heard, and in order, which mods give the most benefit.

Thanks for any input on this.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,973 of 4,419
The LKS benefits greatly from a grounding box. I'm using an SGS-1s but I tried a Coherent RTZ too. It needs at least two ground cables, to the S/PDIF digital input and an analogue output. A third ground cable to the USB input gave a further small improvement.

I hear big improvements in soundstage depth, air and space and also the 'shape' of notes like the proper sound of violin strings. There is also a reduction in harshness. No change in the already great dynamics or bass extension.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,974 of 4,419
The LKS benefits greatly from a grounding box. I'm using an SGS-1s but I tried a Coherent RTZ too. It needs at least two ground cables, to the S/PDIF digital input and an analogue output. A third ground cable to the USB input gave a further small improvement.

I hear big improvements in soundstage depth, air and space and also the 'shape' of notes like the proper sound of violin strings. There is also a reduction in harshness. No change in the already great dynamics or bass extension.
which analogue output you put? left or right channel?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #1,975 of 4,419
I use the XLR balanced outputs so I just put the grounding cable croc clip to the right channel phono output ground - it's closer!

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,976 of 4,419
My cchd 950x , don't hear any sound change from stock 575 clock. :) Maybe resistors should be replaced at the same time. Any other mods i could make without changing resistors?

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_191435.jpg
    IMG_20190320_191435.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,977 of 4,419
My cchd 950x , don't hear any sound change from stock 575 clock. :)
Damn, I have a 950X now ready for swapping it. Am going to switch the I/V resistors to the Texas ones, too.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,979 of 4,419
Try, maybe resistors will make bigger change. It might need burn in, mine is just 24 hours old.

Give it 10-14 days to settle in.
Optionally keep the DAC on 24x7 for a few days, if you can keep an eye on it.
This has to be supervised to watch out for any early failures.

A MP3 track will not use the full performance capability of the DAC, get better source material natively recorded at high res.

High rate DSD (128x and above) is where the LKS really starts to shine and move ahead of the competition

The DSD samplers from BlueCoast, NativeDSD or PCM material HDtracks are starting points. The last option has material re-sampled from 44k1, so I consider is a backup.
BlueCoast has albums recorded at Native DSD256 with all the workflows, mixing and mastering all in the DSD256 or better resolution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back