KZ ATE Comparisons for the undecided
Nov 30, 2016 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

inline79

100+ Head-Fier
So you've heard and read lots about the KZ ATE.  But like me you were still sort of on the fence about letting go of that $10US.  Well, unlike you, one day I woke up and said "it's $10, I gotta stop losing sleep over $10 and get my new IEM fix".  And about 3-4 weeks later I had it.  Now I offer you my comparisons so you don't have to dig through the Impressions thread.

KZ ATE Baseline Impression​:  I gotta say, these are probably the best single dynamic driver IEM I've ever listened too.  That's not saying THAT much, but you'll see some of my collection I felt worth challenging it with.  It has excellent bass extension, and maybe a touch too much bass, but it matches it with mids that sing good and treble detail you don't normally get in a dynamic.  In short, it's easily worth 10x what you pay for it!

KZ ED Special Edition: ​The first KZ ATE I ordered arrived but was actually an ED-SE.  These are OK.  For $5 they are pretty typical of a $5-$20 IEM - lots of bass, not much detail.  For the backup pocket.  A side note.

Shure SE-215​: First up was my trusty SE-215s.  My go-to travel IEM.  I know these aren't the best to begin with, but these were formerly my "best" dynamic IEMs.  These still beat just about everything for isolation + comfort.  But vs the KZ ATE, the mids sounded muddled and the highs were weak.  The KZ ATE really put the SE-215 to shame for sound quality.  But for movies on the plane, the SE-215s still won't get dethroned.

Shure SE-530​: So I decided to jump way up next.  I know the SE-530 is imperfect in many ways, and I'm now comparing a triple-BA to a dynamic.  But the SE-530 has always had way too much sibilance at the high end.  However, the mids of the SE530 really reveal what the KZ ATE is lacking - the detail of a BA.  But the ATE's bass is far more enjoyable than the SE-530's which sort of fall off.

​TDK BA-200:​  Sorry, I stopped the test after this.  My all-time favourite all-round IEM, the BA-200, just cannot be beat.  The BA-200 just makes the KZ ATE sound too bass heavy, make the KZ ATE's mids way too distant, and KZ ATE's highs sound almost lost.  The BA-200 puts you right there in the music, the KZ ATE sends you to the back of the arena.  It is night and day here.

And I ended it there.  The KZ ATE is probably one of the best dynamics out there, but it's no match for some well-tuned multi-BAs.  But hey, at $10, everyone should own one to experience just how good a dynamic driver IEM can be.

Hope that helped some people part with a few bucks!

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 4
How is the bass on the KZ ED Special Edition compared to other models of KZ is it more or less?

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I've been listening to a pair of KZ ATE's with the Comply T500 Isolation tips (the KZ supplied tips are garbage IMHO) ... and man am I impressed; compared to my go-to Shure SE535's? LOL ... the Shures sound, quite literally, *surgical* in comparison; ... but man are the KZ ATE's super fun; the Comply T500 isolation tips transform them into real killers man.

Another thing? To any Koss Portapro listeners? These $13 KZ ATE's are pretty much like a Koss Portapro if it came in an IEM version. I find their sound sigs to be near identical ... both are just "clinical" enough to keep me engaged and both are super super fun to listen too ... I find myself listening to the ATE's more than my SE535's ... that extra punch is great for lifting weights/etc. ... they sound so amazing and are so cheap that I'm buying pairs for friends and crap ... LOL ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back