Kwak-Clock Mod
May 17, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #92 of 99
Both of these clocks use TTL-type differential buffers which have risetime of several nanoseconds. I wonder what the jitter spec is of each. It may be interesting to try ECL or SCFL instead of TTL; they have risetimes fraction of a nanosecond. Here's an example: http://www.audiokit.ro/clock.html

[Edit:] http://www.valpeyfisher.com/Products...ProductCode=XO they have < 1 ps jitter (in the 12 Hz - 20 MHz band) clock in the right frequency range; click on VFJC. This may be the best solution. No idea about pricing though.

May 18, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #93 of 99
Oh wow, check out the VFXO110, it's even better. Max jitter 0.5 ps, typical 0.2 ps. I don't see how one can beat that with a DIY XO, and it's better than Tent's latest clock and I'm sure KC8 as well. But how to interface it's LVECL output to the usual TTL logic without degrading performance...

May 18, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #94 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh wow, check out the VFXO110, it's even better. Max jitter 0.5 ps, typical 0.2 ps. I don't see how one can beat that with a DIY XO, and it's better than Tent's latest clock and I'm sure KC8 as well. But how to interface it's LVECL output to the usual TTL logic without degrading performance...

And they probably cost like a grand a piece.

May 19, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #95 of 99
I seriously doubt it will be significantly more expensive than other commercial (not boutique audiophile) clocks, especially in a group order. *hint*

May 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #98 of 99
Yes. I'm not 100% sure it's need though. Depends on the DAC's inputs etc. I'd ask the company about the best way of interfacing to standard logic like DACs to retain optimal jitter performance.
BTW, I've emailed them to ask for phase noise figure for the 10 Hz which is missing from their specs. Then I can compare directly to the Tent Labs XO and see if my suspicion that this is better bears out. When they reply I'll ask them about pricing.

May 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #99 of 99
You guys will get a laugh out of this:
I had couple of email exchanges with Valpey Fisher, but in my last email reply to them when I was asked the clock frequencies I was interested in (previously I asked for 10 Hz offset performance), I wrote back 24.576 and 22.5792 MHz.
After that there was no longer a reply. Hah! They must have thought me an audiophile for obviously asking about audio DAC clocks. I even emailed a second time to make sure they didn't miss my email. Nothing.
I guess they're just 'audiophool' haters
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back