Kure Beach NC, improbability defied
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
So a few weeks ago our good friend Grawk posted that he would be having a small meet at his house at the beach. Due to a simply amazing set of circumstances, this has turned into a full blown Head-fi bash. The list of people that just happened to be able to come from around the country and even further will both shock and amaze. It feels a bit like we've engaged the Heart of Gold's Infinite Improbability drive, and some of my favorite Head-fiers have simply been plucked out of their homes and dropped in one extremely improbable location.

I myself being from the southeast couldn't resist driving up with a large amount of liquid refreshment, and absolutely no gear. A few people did bring some primo headphone gear and even a speaker rig, so this thing still counts as a proper meet. There may be some worthwhile gear impressions here as the day progresses.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 29
I just happened to be nearby on account of some generous action while I was lost in my worldly travels and as a result I've ended up being some lost Scotsman surrounded by a bunch of music listening, cigar smoking, heavy drinking colonial nutjobs!

My luggage:

P9110101.jpg

Time to stop for essential supplies on the way in.

P9110114.jpg

P9110115.jpg

P9110116.jpg

And we are on our way! In-And-Out-Style!

P9110126.jpg

P9110127.jpg

Beer and legal contracts. Smiles and frowns.

P9110147.jpg

Foamies. I was channeling Tyll with my shirt.

P9120149.jpg

Why isn't the beer working?

P9120155.jpg

Dudes the beer isn'working!

P9120156.jpg

I can make the beer work!

P9120157.jpg

Hurrah! Beer is working!

P9120158.jpg

Yummy beer.

P9120166.jpg

There was also bottled beer.

P9120167.jpg

And the giving of awesomesigned Jew cards. (Most amazing thing ever).

P9120181.jpg

A smattering of unacceptably empty glasses here.

P9120185.jpg

P9120186.jpg

Then we went to the beach!

P9120197.jpg

P9120215.jpg

P9120217.jpg

P9120219.jpg

P9120220.jpg

P9120225.jpg

Good times tbh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 29
Litter lasts a long time. Some of these guys are still here.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 29
Well it appears the 12-5 meet is now wrapping up. Everyone needs to get to bed so we can wake up for the shooting range closing ceremonies tomorrow morning.

It was really quite lucky that everyone happened to be in the area as the 20+ people from all over the world made this an epic meet.

Blue Hawaii's, Pico Slims, Silver Ghosts, Duggehs; this place was full of celebrities.

An AKG door to door salesman made an appearance.

Fitz.jpg

Boomana.jpg

Duggeh.jpg

group.jpg

group2.jpg

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No need for listening impressions on this one as far as I'm concerned.

That's good because I'm pretty sure there won't be any. I think I listened to headphones for a grand total of 15 minutes.
wink_face.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good because I'm pretty sure there won't be any. I think I listened to headphones for a grand total of 15 minutes.
wink_face.gif

Thats because you were fondling DACs the rest of the time
wink.gif

I spent more time with the JH13 universals than all other headphones together, and I listened to a lot of headphones.

R10s are nice.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 29
These pictures do no justice to just how epic this meet was. If there are any impressions posted, it'd more likely be for beer and liquor rather than gear.
wink.gif

Best meet evar!

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 29
You guys really need to work on multi-tasking. It is possible to listen and drink.

Al's system with Dan's Mac Mini was great for me. I know Amara was on the computer but I cannot remember the DAC, which happened to have a nice headphone amp onboard.

Ari had two amps that, as expected, were excellent. I listened to my HD-800s with the aftermarket Piccolino?? cables that Al brought on the Silver Ghost and I loved this set up.

The Pico Slim made an appearance and is a fantastic amp that can be stuck to the back of my Touch/iPhone and still fit comfortably in a shirt pocket. The amp sounds fantastic and the form factor is perfect for me. This will be my UE-11/JH-13 amp.

Listened to the Blue Hawaii SE again and as it has every time I have listened to it the amp truly impressed. Still the best amp I have heard for the Omega IIs by far.

I listened to Colin's system with his upgraded Adcom DAC and as I own a fantastic amp built by Colin I expected to be impressed and I definitely was. After spending an afternoon listening to Ari and Colin discussing everything DIY I am throughly depressed that I have none of that skill whatsoever.

This meet was, above all, a chance for all of us to get together and listen to music and hang with friends. Dan deserves great thanks for organizing one of the best meets I have attended. Also big thanks to all the people that traveled from all over the world, Florida, California, Tenn, Atlanta, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Cayman Island, Scotland, and even North Carolina as the people are what made this such a great way to spend a weekend.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 29
Just an outstanding event, great people, beer, food and gear.

First off the cuban coffee beer that Matt the Younger brought was just phenomenal. The doughnuts that were totally hand made from the shop up the street were crazy good. The BBQ was also very tasty.

Not much on the gear front as I was there for the people more than anything else. It was a blast getting to meet Doug, thanks for making the trek from Scotland for this event and keep a pint fired up for my trip your way in 2010.

It is always a blast seeing some of the NYC based crew, Ari's amps sounded wonderful the little guy was a testament to how a lost cost amp can rock with the larger ones. Jeff and Diny I'll hopefully see you both when I'm in NYC for the holidays.

Team Florida I miss you guys great to see you again.

Big thanks to Dan for organizing and to Al and Mike for coming up with great beach houses for us to house the 72-96 hour party/meet.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 29
Just an outstanding event, great people, beer, food and gear.

First off the cuban coffee beer that Matt the Younger brought was just phenomenal. The doughnuts that were totally hand made from the shop up the street were crazy good. The BBQ was also very tasty.

Not much on the gear front as I was there for the people more than anything else. It was a blast getting to meet Doug, thanks for making the trek from Scotland for this event and keep a pint fired up for my trip your way in 2010.

It is always a blast seeing some of the NYC based crew, Ari's amps sounded wonderful the little guy was a testament to how a lost cost amp can rock with the larger ones. Jeff and Diny I'll hopefully see you both when I'm in NYC for the holidays.

Team Florida I miss you guys great to see you again.

Big thanks to Dan for organizing and to Al and Mike for coming up with great beach houses for us to house the 72-96 hour party/meet.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 29
This meet was just unbelievable. Dan is the best host I've ever met, hands down, thank you for welcoming me. For someone that personally only knew one person there from previously at arrival, it was so great to actually meet all of you in person, you really are all great people. Any liquor, gun, beer, cigar, food, or audio connoisseur would have surely enjoyed this meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back