Kumitate (くみたて) Lab: A Triumph and Celebration of DIY - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #316 of 376
Hey guys! I'm immensely glad to share with you an interview I did with Kumitate Lab's very own founder and CEO - Mr. Ryosuke Ito. Ito-san was kind and generous enough to participate in what became an over-one-hour-long interview spanning a huge variety of topics, including the company’s history, their design philosophy, modern vs. traditional techniques, and their latest 5-driver flagship: Focus. I hope you guys enjoy the article and learn a bit more about the Japanese artisans along the way. This is An Inner View! :D

very cool, well done.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #317 of 376
Could you all please stop saying positive things about Kumitate Lab products. You are making it extremely difficult to choose which to buy. Thank you.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #318 of 376
Just stumbled upon Kumitate after reading Deezel's review on THL. You guys happen to know of a place I can demo the full range in Singapore? I know Treoo has the Next 5 series available for demo, but also keen to demo Ref (with Type S)

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #319 of 376
Just stumbled upon Kumitate after reading Deezel's review on THL. You guys happen to know of a place I can demo the full range in Singapore? I know Treoo has the Next 5 series available for demo, but also keen to demo Ref (with Type S)

Jaben might still carry the REF and Lakh. I’m not sure whether it’s the Type S or not, though.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #321 of 376
Jaben might still carry the REF and Lakh. I’m not sure whether it’s the Type S or not, though.

No longer there unfortunately, only the Trio is there now. No REF/Lakh demo units on the island it seems.

Thanks guys. Mm did reach out to Jaben via FB and they said they may still have demo units, didn't specify what models are available to demo. They also mentioned they are no longer dealers for Kumitate? Weird though.. see them listed as dealers on the website while Treoo isn't

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #323 of 376
No longer there unfortunately, only the Trio is there now. No REF/Lakh demo units on the island it seems.

Ahh, that’s unfortunate. Hopefully Treoo can get them soon.

Thanks guys. Mm did reach out to Jaben via FB and they said they may still have demo units, didn't specify what models are available to demo. They also mentioned they are no longer dealers for Kumitate? Weird though.. see them listed as dealers on the website while Treoo isn't

SLT Technologies is their official distributor and Treoo is the only store carrying them in SG at the moment. I mentioned Jaben because they still had their demos last time I visited.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #324 of 376
@crinacle - I've been having a bit of a browse of your measurement database. The Meteo measurements suggest it's pretty heavily scooped in the lower midrange with some mismatched treble (although I understand measurement >15kHz can be less than accurate).

Do the measurements match up with your ears?

https://imgur.com/wCmkKEx

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #325 of 376
Ok I was just back from jaben when I popped by to be a guinea pig to do ear impressions for some research project in exchange for some mystery voucher. Spoke to Claire, and they no longer carry Kumitate (shucks) and no demos available

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #326 of 376
Ok I was just back from jaben when I popped by to be a guinea pig to do ear impressions for some research project in exchange for some mystery voucher. Spoke to Claire, and they no longer carry Kumitate (shucks) and no demos available

Jaben dropped Kumi for quite a while now. Treoo is the new distro, but they currently only have 3 demos of the NEXT-5 series. Meteo, Corona and Sirius I believe.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #327 of 376
Jaben dropped Kumi for quite a while now. Treoo is the new distro, but they currently only have 3 demos of the NEXT-5 series. Meteo, Corona and Sirius I believe.
Yup. Saw that on their website, and only demos are for the Next 5 series. They do carry other models but no demos available Will pop by their office early next week to demo

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #329 of 376
@crinacle - I've been having a bit of a browse of your measurement database. The Meteo measurements suggest it's pretty heavily scooped in the lower midrange with some mismatched treble (although I understand measurement >15kHz can be less than accurate).

In my personal opinion, it's nowhere near as egregious as it looks. Plus, the custom will sound smoother in the treble relative to the demo, according to comments from both @crinacle and Ito-san himself. It's worth noting that measurements grow exponentially less reliable past 7-8kHz or so. This is because treble performance is heavily reliant on the acoustics of our individual ears. Most IEMs peak last at 12-13kHz anyway, so information past then is pretty much irrelevant.

Hopefully Ito-san will be back in Singapore for CANJAM 2019

He very much plans to attend last time I spoke to him.

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #330 of 376

It's a a weird combo of being both thin and extremely bassy at the same time. Treble mismatch on the graph is not audible to me but the imaging did sound slightly skewed to the right. Personally not for me, though having heard Kumitate's [REDACTED] Ito-san seems to have fixed that issue...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back