KSC75 vs SR225
Jul 31, 2006 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Before dumping a whole lot of money on a pair of SR225s, I want to know if it's indeed... much much much much better than the "legendary" Koss 60ohm drivers. I loved my KSC35s through my PA2V2 for the "get up and dance" feeling. Something I don't think I'll have very much of with my K501.

After returning from a rock festival, I want to get back to that. I was originally deciding to stick with the KSC75s for IMPACT but now I'm thinking I might just move up to SR225s and stop there.

I want IMPACT. Detail might not be as important as energy. I want to headbang. I want to feel like I'm there. I want to RAWK OUT.
biggrin.gif
Will the SR225s give me that over the Koss?

The Koss are fun indeed. Is the jump to a high-ish end Grado more detail oriented or FEEL oriented?

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 10
No, the ksc75 does not have that much impact. It has nice detail though, and it benefits from a few extra dB below 200Hz (porta pro doesn't need this). Great headphone, period. Never heard a Grado before, and some call the SR60 to be (much) better.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 10
i had the SR60's, and personally, i think it was a really nice set. i'm sorta torn, there were times when i loved it, and there were times i didn't like it.

i LOVED them when i was listening to rock music, and i didn't like them when i was listening to other songs. for headphones, i think i prefer the circumaural ones (not sure if it's due to the sound or the feel). the grados also sounded a bit "thin" to me (i guess you could say)...

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 10
I do own both.
The Grado is for rocking out at home, the Koss is the cheapo for portable purposes.
It's somewhat difficult to rate headphones.The Grados are 15 times as expensive, but surely not 15 times as good as the Koss.I'd say the Grados are double as good, maybe triple. Quote:

I want to know if it's indeed... much much much much better than the "legendary" Koss 60ohm drivers.

I'd say it's only much much better.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 10
I have my K501s to take care of everything else.

I'm just wondering: for SLAM and IMPACT alone (I know, I should get a set of speakers, but in this thread: headphones only!) what should I get?

Something significantly better than my Koss? In terms of slam!

Beyers instead? Or Grados? SR225s have more slam than 60s? 80s? 125s? MS1s?

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
I have my K501s to take care of everything else.

I'm just wondering: for SLAM and IMPACT alone (I know, I should get a set of speakers, but in this thread: headphones only!) what should I get?

Something significantly better than my Koss? In terms of slam!

Beyers instead? Or Grados? SR225s have more slam than 60s? 80s? 125s? MS1s?

general consensus, grados are the best for "slam" and "impact" ... ie: what you'd want with rock. that's what you plan to use them for right? they are terrific for rock, but they leak a lot of sound..

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 10
K81DJ maybe, if you want bass AND impact. But to have your head in the Marshall and the Les Paul on your knees, go for Grados (or MS1 cheaper than SR225).

Keep on rockin'...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 10
K81DJ!!!!!!!!! You just made this decision a lot harder.

K81DJ would be an awesome portable/transportable can. My Panasonics are nice, but having a bigger (more comfortable) closed can for library/metro use would be nice. I don't mind wearing the AKGs out in public heheh. Might actually go with my style.

Now the question is... K81DJ has the SLAM?? K81DJ and KSCs for SLAM instead of spending almost $200 on a pair of Grados that I might not use enough? However, there's that place that sells Grados for cheap... so I could easily sell them. Agh. So difficult...

If I buy the Grados, I don't mind them being open. I'd use them at home exclusively. But if I buy the K81DJs, I'd take them everywhere.

//edit: OKAAAAAY. I just smartened up (I... think?)

I've decided on the K81DJs. $55 shipped seems like a good deal. I decided that while the Grados are at an AMAZING price, I would be just impulse buying on a "OMG I LOVE ROCK CONCERTS" feel. I've convinced myself that no headphones will ever give me the impact of a rock concert, and however amazing the SR225s are... my K501 should do fine (i mostly listen to soothing music, but there are times where I want to rock out... and not enough to drop coin on SR225s).

The K81DJs would be amazing for portable, and (with my Koss) provide the "slam" that I'll want. I figure when I want to "rock out" I wouldn't care much about detail or anything a higher end can like the SR225 will provide.

Besides, I'd want to air guitar so a cord would be dangerous. I'll leave "slam" for my speakers. =) Thoughts?

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 10
It sounds like the K81 will fill a functional hole in your collection and not just a sonic one as the SR-225 would. If you still miss the slam but are hesitant to spend as much as the 225 would cost, you could always pony up for an MS-1 at some later point. Of course, if you stick with head-fi, by then you'll also be ready to sell your 501's to start paying for some 701's. Now that I think of it, how much do you want for them?

Just kidding.
I think.

Jul 31, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
It sounds like the K81 will fill a functional hole in your collection and not just a sonic one as the SR-225 would. If you still miss the slam but are hesitant to spend as much as the 225 would cost, you could always pony up for an MS-1 at some later point. Of course, if you stick with head-fi, by then you'll also be ready to sell your 501's to start paying for some 701's. Now that I think of it, how much do you want for them?

Just kidding.
I think.

Heh. Don't tempt me. Really. I just posted in the "since you joined head-fi, how much has your wallet SHRUNK". And it's been disgusting. I don't even have a full time job yet! I should be saving for my first car or something....

Heh... K701s eh.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back