KSC75 vs. KSC35 vs. PX100
May 19, 2008 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

stook2001

New Head-Fier
So my Rockboxed Ipod 5g and KSC75s were recently stolen. I've replaced the Ipod with an 8 gig Sansa Fuze and now I need to purchase replacement headphones.

I very much enjoyed the KSC75s. Great bass, good midrange, but a little bright and sibilant for my taste. The "perfect" headphone (at this price point) for me would be the highs of the PX100 with the bass of the KSC75.

Will I be happier with the KSC35? Is it worth the somewhat steep pricing on the Koss site? As a side note, overall I prefer the PX100 form factor since the KSC75s were inevitably tangled up whenever I pulled them out of my bag.

Are there other phones that I should be considering? Suffering with the Fuze OEM headphones is killing me. Aside from the fact that they sound miserable, I really dislike ear buds and running with them earlier drove me nuts since they just don't properly fit my ears.

Thanks for any feedback. I hope to order one of the three ASAP.

May 19, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 30
I will probably order a set to try out since I have never heard the non-titanium coated Koss drivers. Do the KSC-35s come with the volume potentiometer on the cable? I had somewhat of a love/hate with it on the KSC75s since after a couple years of use it became somewhat prone to noise. On the other hand, the volume control convenience was a plus.

Is the bass better because the integrated ear piece is tighter than the detachable style on the KSC75? Also, is it better bass extension, better bass detail or just more bass with the 35s?

Thanks!

Oh, one last thing... any good tricks for managing the wire to prevent tangling when the koss cans are tossed in a bag?

May 19, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 30
Or maybe Igrados
wink.gif

Another option is the Koss KSC Pro-1 /Radioshack Pro35

Just more options
wink.gif

May 19, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by stook2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my Rockboxed Ipod 5g and KSC75s were recently stolen. I've replaced the Ipod with an 8 gig Sansa Fuze and now I need to purchase replacement headphones.

I very much enjoyed the KSC75s. Great bass, good midrange, but a little bright and sibilant for my taste. The "perfect" headphone (at this price point) for me would be the highs of the PX100 with the bass of the KSC75.

Will I be happier with the KSC35? Is it worth the somewhat steep pricing on the Koss site? As a side note, overall I prefer the PX100 form factor since the KSC75s were inevitably tangled up whenever I pulled them out of my bag.

Are there other phones that I should be considering? Suffering with the Fuze OEM headphones is killing me. Aside from the fact that they sound miserable, I really dislike ear buds and running with them earlier drove me nuts since they just don't properly fit my ears.

Thanks for any feedback. I hope to order one of the three ASAP.

KSC-35 all the way baby. Smoother with richer mids than KSC-75, and not all bass like PX-100. They sound like a $100-150 headphone. And, if you don't like the earclips the earpieces will fit on a $1.99 partsexpress.com headband.

May 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or maybe Igrados
wink.gif

Another option is the Koss KSC Pro-1 /Radioshack Pro35

Just more options
wink.gif

I wasnt aware of the KTX Pro-1 Option. I'm not sure I love the form factor. The headband looks way too thick and it looks like the don't fold. Plus, from what I can gather they don't sound as good as the 35s/75s.

I'll read up a bit more on the Igrados. How would these compare sound wise to the other options? Closer to the KSC75s, right? I am pretty familiar with the KSC75s, PX100, PX200, and HD580s for frame of reference.

Thanks for all the feedback.

May 19, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 30
Okay! Looking to be fairly unanimous voting for the KSC35s... I'll chuck in an order tomorrow probably. To bad they aren't the price of the 75s, but I guess they are still pretty cheap all considered.

By the way, I found the clips on the 75s to be really comfortable. Should I expect anything really different with the 35s?

May 19, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 30
or you could consider the koss porta pro or sporta pro. they come with the headband. with the porta pro you can change the tension of the headband which affects the bass. they're a terrific buy and a lot of fun!

May 19, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 30
For me the KSC-35 clips are tighter than the 75 clips, so if you are active when you use them, they stay on better. But they took me longer to get on my ears. So I use a cheap $1.99 headband that I transplanted the drivers onto, but the KSC-75 clips work well too. My 10 yr old son likes my KSC-35 clips on his KSC-75, so we traded.

May 19, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 30
how much are the 35's nowadays? Last time I heard about them they were around $50. At that kind of price, might as well get a pair of used SR-60.....
(I like my silver recabled iGrado's a lot, but I think the iGrado's HAVE TO have a cable upgrade to show full potential, and the newer version is nearly impossible to recable. So I wouldn't recommand iGrado, unless it is of the older style.)

May 19, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 30
I'm a BIG koss fanboy so I vote for the KSC.
But, between 75 and 35, I think there is no hesitation here. Just grasp the 35 and enjoy it
smily_headphones1.gif

It even shines more when you add the 75ohm adapter and recable it like what I've done with my KSC35
tongue.gif

May 19, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much are the 35's nowadays? Last time I heard about them they were around $50. At that kind of price, might as well get a pair of used SR-60.....
(I like my silver recabled iGrado's a lot, but I think the iGrado's HAVE TO have a cable upgrade to show full potential, and the newer version is nearly impossible to recable. So I wouldn't recommand iGrado, unless it is of the older style.)

Sounds like a good choice, except that my KSC-35 are better than my regular SR-60... (but not better than my ALO silver cabled woodied SR-60)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back