KSC75 v.s. HD580?
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bluestar11

New Head-Fier
Yes, it is my first Head-Fi post ... sorry about my wallet ...
tongue.gif

Now I use an HD580 with a Total BitHead. I'm satisfied with the SQ but I cannot wear them outside ... So I want a portable headphone for my Creative Zen. PX100 is still too large IMHO and I'm afraid of in-ear ones. KSC75 is a good match. But if the SQ drops down too much from HD580, I won't buy it although it is really cheap. Any advice? Thank you!

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 18
I would get them. I have the HD580's and the KSC75 and on some tracks I prefer the KSC75. I find the HD580's better for Jazz and Classical, while still good for other types of music. And I find the KSC75 better for rock music because of the presentation. They are under $15 at amazon, so they are not too much of a risk and could sell them if you did not like them.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 18
I've got both and I can say the KSC75 is still not in the same class as the HD580. Another problem you may have is the lack of isolation which will degrade the sound quality.

But for $20, how can you complain? I'd say the KSC75 are about 85-90% there, but there's still a significant difference when you hear the HD580s.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestar11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is my first Head-Fi post ... sorry about my wallet ...
tongue.gif

Now I use an HD580 with a Total BitHead. I'm satisfied with the SQ but I cannot wear them outside ... So I want a portable headphone for my Creative Zen. PX100 is still too large IMHO and I'm afraid of in-ear ones. KSC75 is a good match. But if the SQ drops down too much from HD580, I won't buy it although it is really cheap. Any advice? Thank you!

The HD580 and KSC75 have a similar sonic signature, though of course you should not expect the KSC75 to be on the same playing field as the HD580.
If you like the HD580 and want a portable, the KSC75 will be great for the price, assuming you don't mind their generally loose fit. The PX100 that you also mention is quite nice as well, and has a much tighter fit (bend you head down, and the KSC75 will probably fall off, but not the PX100). The PX100 sound closer to the HD650 than the HD580 with their fuller bass and warmer mids, to me.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for all your warm suggestions! I just ordered a KSC75. I have heard PX100 before. It fits me very well but I don't like something over my hair while walking outside ~
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 18
I have owned the Senn 600, 650 & PX100 and sent them all packing just not my taste in brew! I have also owned the Grado 60, 80, 125 and RS2's and still I return to the Koss drivers just a great overall tonal balance more importantly it connects the listener right through to the soul of the music. And shouldn't that be the goal of any gear?

Why pay more when you don't have to?

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anacondastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned the Senn 600, 650 & PX100 and sent them all packing just not my taste in brew! I have also owned the Grado 60, 80, 125 and RS2's and still I return to the Koss drivers just a great overall tonal balance more importantly it connects the listener right through to the soul of the music. And shouldn't that be the goal of any gear?

Why pay more when you don't have to?

Which specific Koss units you like best?

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which specific Koss units you like best?

Oh my bad...the same ones I purchased for my 1st Sony Walkman back in '85 or so the Porta Pro's...I have tried basically every significant can since and while I have heard similar and different I have (yet) to hear better!

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 18
the ksc 75's are amazing for how much they cost but coming from the HD580's (i have both) they are a major step down in all aspects. but if your just gonna be running them out of a dap or laptop or something on the go then i'd say go for it

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, a step down is when you don't want to listen to them as much. The KSC was a step up. Many just don't like the 580/600 sound, I'm one of them.

Yes I agree. And there is no accounting for taste--we like what we like.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 18
I like the sound of my 580s a lot, but I find them uncomfortable after a short time. The KSC-75s are not in the same sound league, but I find them more comfortable. And they sound very good. For under $15, they are in a class by themselves. The 580s are 15x as expensive - not really a fair comparison.

I like the ksc-75s better than my Grado SR-60s for several reasons. The Sr-60's look and feel, well, dorky. They are not as comfortable to wear. Sound quality is a close call. I think the Sr-60s sound a tad better, but not worth the difference in price. I listen to the KSC-75s more than any other headphone, and they are very versitile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back