ksc75 ISOLATION mod. PICS!
Jun 13, 2007 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

buddha911

100+ Head-Fier
So, as I was wandering around the forums this weekend, I found this thread. Inspired by one of the posts, I decided to make a high isolation ksc75. So, I ventured to a local sportsman shop and bought these, they isolate for 29db (later that day, I was at Sears and found some that isolated for 30db and were five bucks cheaper, but it was too late. Never rule out Sears). The hearing protectors that I purchased seemed to be perfect as the ksc75 drivers were very easy to put in and they stayed secure. This should be very simple to figure out, but I'll post my process anyway:

1) I took my Kramer-modded ksc75's, took off the clips, and reversed the pads.
Before:
PICT0011.jpg

After:
PICT0012.jpg

2) Got my hearing protectors out.
PICT0005-1.jpg

3) I found out that the pads on the hearing protectors are just glued on the housing (The glue was not solid or anything, but it was gooey and kind of sticky). I lifted up about half the pad, then slipped the ksc75 driver through it.
PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014-1.jpg

4) Put the driver where you desire and pull the cord so it is firm.
PICT0002-3.jpg

5) Repeat steps 1-4 for the opposite side.
PICT0019.jpg

Options:
-Since you cannot immedietly decipher what driver is left and right, color or mark the screening so you can tell, then maybe mark the outside of the hearing protectors with the same color, or letter, or symbol. You can see What I did in steps 3 and 4.

-Once the earpads come off the hearing protectors, they don't stick very well. You may want to use some sort of adhesive afterward to keep the pads down for good. I decided not to do this, because I may want to reverse the mod.

Sound: Simply put, the sound does not actually change much, resolution suffers a little bit, and the bass quantity is reduced (this is nice IMO), but the isolation is amazing. They isolate twice as much as my hd280's and were half the price, total.

Comfort: The only problem I have with these is the extreme clamping force, but that can be fixed by stretching it over a few books or something. The earpads are very comfy and plush, not sweat inducing like some hearing protectors.

Conclusions: I like these better than stock. I could not stand the clips, and the headband mods felt too flimsy. In short, these will be my full size airplane cans.

cool.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 24
Cool, though I think we need an on the head picture.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Nice!

I always thought that a mod like this would make for a very cheap (yet very good sounding) pair of phones for doing loud yard work like mowing the lawn, weed whacking, or for maybe shooting at the gun range, or for other situations where extreme isolation is required, and when IEMs aren't an option.

I think that the most important key is to find a pair of Earmuffs that are comfortable. Because I have tried on a few Earmuffs of varying models, and let me tell you, those things can be VERY uncomfortable, almost making the K 81 DJs seem like fluffy pillows in comparison.

wink.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 24
Great, I tryed this now, perfect, now I have a headphone that I can use when I'm polishing cars! The sound is surpricingly good! I used my old portapro drivers they give a little more bass than ksc75!

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought that a mod like this would make for a very cheap (yet very good sounding) pair of phones for doing loud yard work like mowing the lawn, weed whacking, or for maybe shooting at the gun range...

Note to self : stay away from the gun range when lmilhan is there.
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 24
At last someone did it and posted the results, way to go mate!
I think it might be important to find a nice set of earmuffs (in my case clamping force wasn't a problem, but sweat was I think). As to the sound, EQ should do it.

Nice to hear from a Hd280 owner that the isolation is greater with these. This gives you the possibility of having a multipersonality ksc75 and also use iems to have extreme isolation, or use earbuds (which don't isolate) and have isolation versatility.
Nice touch the folding option with those, what I'd like to find is some earmuffs that are more compact in body, especially the earcups and the plastic that holds them.

Greetings,
Ary

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh noes
from personal experience, closing the ksc75's is abou tthe worst thing one can do. howwever these have larger cans so may not suffer as bad as with mine

I pushed in quite alot of damping material behind the portapro drivers so they puch against the ear, after that the bass was ok with my x-can, but I'll have to EQ my iriver, the sound is a lot better than usual radio earprotection though.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 24
I have some Peltor 30dB muffs and I use my UM1 under them. It probably isolates 40 - 45dB. I can barely hear a lawn mower or power tools. I can listen at my normal listening volume. I route the wire under my shirt, up my back if I'm doing something that I don't want the cord to get snagged on, like using a power saw.

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 24
i would definately wear these on an airplane. last time i flew with my proline 750's some dumbasses MDR-V150's could still be heard through my cans. D: horrible experience.

Jun 14, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Peltor 30dB muffs and I use my UM1 under them. It probably isolates 40 - 45dB. I can barely hear a lawn mower or power tools. I can listen at my normal listening volume. I route the wire under my shirt, up my back if I'm doing something that I don't want the cord to get snagged on, like using a power saw.

How wide is the opening for your ear on the Peltor's? If they are around 1-1/2"
or a little smaller, the drivers should fit in there, for anyone interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back