ksc 75 vs grado sr60?
Dec 14, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like onion rings more than french fries.

Have you tried these two headphones? It doesn't sound like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read many opinions that the SR125 is considered the "sweet spot" in the SR series in terms of performance/value. Having never heard them, I can't speak to whether or not that's true, but I think you should be careful about so quickly disregarding them. To the OP, get both. You won't regret it.

Though SBD's counter-argument to this is conventional wisdom around here, having heard them all, I'd disagree and say the 125 is to my ear better than the 60 or 80, but clearly not as good as a 225. Also, SBD, the 125 has had several good reviews in numerous places as you can see on the Grado website; the guy at the hifi shop where I tried a pair told me he thought it was the sweet spot, and showed me an article from something like Stereophile saying the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the 60's. I have the ksc75's and sr80's and I say get the 60's ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by OvidiuDanut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this class i have/had/ KSC75/PortaPro/Px100/SR-60.
I can say that 75/Porta/Px100 are in the same class with minor sonic differences between them.
SR-60 is in a completely superior class. Listening side by side i cant make one thing that i could say that's in common for ksc75 and sr-60.

I agree with these comments. KSC-75 are great, but they are not as good as an SR-60, not even unamped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the KSC75 come on sale for $10-15 here. it literally is a waste to NOT try them. personally, i spend more on food everyday on campus than the price of the KSC75.

But hey, that's true too, and sometimes better SQ isn't as important as it can be at others. I find this true when I'm strolling around-- the walk makes me appreciate the music more than slightly better sound would. For that, the KSC-75 is plenty of audiophile goodness.

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #32 of 70
I appreciate all this feedback, I think I'm going to choose the Grado sr-60, just because it seems like the stepping stone to hi-fi, not to mention the fact that I love the look of Grados. Although I find it interesting that some people prefer the koss ksc75 to Grados (maybe its too shrill?). Perhaps, their musical tastes are different (I mostly love rock, but enjoy all genres) then mine and maybe grados aren't the best for their musical tastes. One good thing this will lead me to, is finding out if I even enjoy grados, which seems important in defining what kind of sound sig I enjoy, for future purchases. I will get the ksc75 one day though. I was wondering, how does is the sound of a KSC-75, with a pure sound recable, like what can does it compare to?

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Though SBD's counter-argument to this is conventional wisdom around here, having heard them all, I'd disagree and say the 125 is to my ear better than the 60 or 80, but clearly not as good as a 225. Also, SBD, the 125 has had several good reviews in numerous places as you can see on the Grado website; the guy at the hifi shop where I tried a pair told me he thought it was the sweet spot, and showed me an article from something like Stereophile saying the same.

I wasn't trying to start an argument here. I just said that so people would understand that it's not very practical to go from 125 to 225. I mean $30-$70 more doesn't seem like much especially after being on this forum but it is. If you think like that, might as well buy the RS-1 and "save money".

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

I wasn't trying to start an argument here. I just said that so people would understand that it's not very practical to go from 125 to 225. I mean $30-$70 more doesn't seem like much especially after being on this forum but it is. If you think like that, might as well buy the RS-1 and "save money".

Oh no, I meant counter-argument in the sense that you were countering what he said, and actually on the SR-125 issue, I think the majority of head-fi would agree with you. I also think that the OP is probably best off with some SR-60, especially now that we know he likes the way they look, often a polarizing factor.

On the other hand, I really was arguing with you on the french fries versus onion rings issue.
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, I meant counter-argument in the sense that you were countering what he said, and actually on the SR-125 issue, I think the majority of head-fi would agree with you. I also think that the OP is probably best off with some SR-60, especially now that we know he likes the way they look, often a polarizing factor.

On the other hand, I really was arguing with you on the french fries versus onion rings issue.
biggrin.gif

Now you're just being ridiculous. Everyone knows circles taste better.

I ordered the SR-60 yesterday. kinda wish I got the sr-80's since these will be for the next 2-3 years but I guess I can't have everything. Some people are even happy with just KSC75's.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Now you're just being ridiculous. Everyone knows circles taste better.

I ordered the SR-60 yesterday. kinda wish I got the sr-80's since these will be for the next 2-3 years but I guess I can't have everything. Some people are even happy with just KSC75's.

Yeah, I should of mentioned that, I don't plan on upgrading for the next year or two. I'm only a college student, so I'm going to get the best I can right now, which would be the sr-60s.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #38 of 70
SR-60 is a classic choice for people in your position, SBD and Goober. I'm sure you'll be happy, though if you're really very happy and don't get away from this site, I bet you won't last 2 to 3 years before you start heading up the food chain.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #39 of 70
Well, I wish I could. I'm still in high school and there's no way my family would let me. I saved up so much but didn't but the sr80 because I got mean looks.
"doesn't your ipod come with one?"...well you get the idea.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Well, I wish I could. I'm still in high school and there's no way my family would let me. I saved up so much but didn't but the sr80 because I got mean looks.
"doesn't your ipod come with one?"...well you get the idea.

pish. I spent more money on audio when I was in high school than in the whole 14 years since, and back then I only had a $10 weekly allowance plus a little part-time work here and there. I also had zero other expenses and was resourceful about scraping cash together, which was how I made it happen.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

pish. I spent more money on audio when I was in high school than in the whole 14 years since, and back then I only had a $10 weekly allowance plus a little part-time work here and there. I also had zero other expenses and was resourceful about scraping cash together, which was how I made it happen.

Amen to that
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

I don't think you understand...

My parents would never just say "if you want something, work for it". Even getting $50 an hour couldn't "make it happen" cuz of the bs I get actually trying to buy something. The only game I had in my entire life was pokemon. Do you see where I'm coming from?

(Also, only $10?? That's how much I get
eek.gif
)

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will get the ksc75 one day though. I was wondering, how does is the sound of a KSC-75, with a pure sound recable, like what can does it compare to?

I started on my headphone journey, prior to knowing about this place, with SR60. Both the SR60 and KSC75 (and PX100, for that matter) improve with using a headphone amp, so I highly recommend getting one later down the line. As many have already said, the SR60 is the superior headphone, but the KSC75 is so cheap that it's not worth agonizing over -- just get one.

You truly are a Head-Fi'er. Even before you've had a chance with the 'phone, you're wondering about upgrades
biggrin.gif
. Welcome to the club.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly didnt notice a difference with a friends pair of recabled 75s. Plus they didnt feel sturdy at all anymore.

confused.gif
you sure your friend's KSC75 was recabled by APureSound.com? I got mine over a week ago, and it's way more sturdy than the thin stock cable.

And if you didn't notice a difference in sound, well, what can I say? Did you use an amp? To my ears and others who tried the APureSound recabled KSC75, there was a definite difference. Mine has a 75ohm resistor built-in.

I had mine recabled because I wanted a good set of 'phones to use at work that wouldn't give me headphone hair. I'm very happy with the investment. The KSC75 scales very well with amps and modding.

And since when did the SR125 become the Grado sweet spot? When I joined Head-Fi nearly three years ago, it was the SR225. Times a changin', I guess.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #44 of 70
Heheh, you'll not find consensus in here me laddo
biggrin.gif

I prefer the KSC to the Grado 60 and 125. The MS1 is where the KSC gets beat in my opinion. I found the Grados too spiky in the highs for my tastes. Some like that extra treble energy up there, others find it strident and tiresome. Also not too impressed with the senn, again preferring the KSC.

You'll just have to try them all for yourself and decide what *your* ears prefer. There are no absolutes in taste and preference, that's why there are a gazillion choices out there in headphone land. We each like what we like.

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heheh, you'll not find consensus in here me laddo
biggrin.gif

I prefer the KSC to the Grado 60 and 125. The MS1 is where the KSC gets beat in my opinion. I found the Grados too spiky in the highs for my tastes. Some like that extra treble energy up there, others find it strident and tiresome. Also not too impressed with the senn, again preferring the KSC.

You'll just have to try them all for yourself and decide what *your* ears prefer. There are no absolutes in taste and preference, that's why there are a gazillion choices out there in headphone land. We each like what we like.

x2 on the ksc vs grado thing. and don't listen to much on those saying that the ksc-75 is just good for the money. IMO the KSC-75 is a hidden treasure in the Audio world and a must try for every head-fier. It might be that they don't suit your taste, but they are really really good headphones, no matter the price, they are the one headphones that can really make me smile or cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back