KSC-75 Mod!!
Sep 19, 2007 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
So I have these ol' Sony MDR-V150's. They suck. Definitely. I also have a pair of KSC-75's I got from a fellow head-fier, thank you RickB. This was greatly inspired from what Kramer5150 did with his KSC-75.

I went about to put the KSC-75 drivers in the MDR-V150 chasis, cause I didn't really like the wholy ear clip thing.

I used the webcam to take the shots, cause I'm lazy and didn't want to pull out that cumbersome digital camera.

opened sony
picture86fn0.jpg

pads
picture87sg5.jpg

goodbye crap driver
picture88bf4.jpg

this piece of plastic obstructed the koss driver
picture90ct7.jpg

problem solved
picture91ac7.jpg

yay
picture89yk1.jpg

and this didn't fit inside the plastic chasis of the sony
picture92tr9.jpg

and the razor blade strikes again
picture93ic8.jpg

I didn't want to take the driver apart, so i found a solution to the hole problem as well
picture94ob0.jpg

just used the razor blade to make a thin incision so I could squeeze the cable through and close it back up again.
picture95vh7.jpg

ta da!
picture96ey0.jpg

finished product, with old parts in background
picture97bi7.jpg

sound is good, with a little more bass than before. I love it. It is so much easier to put on my head, and quite comfortable.

For those of you with a KSC-75 and a crapo MDR-V150. Swap out the sony driver for the koss and enjoy!

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 17
Yeah... I did that before to a similar pair of crappy Sony's lying around, but the sound was crappy and sorta like the sound of the original drivers. I chalked up the fault to the horrible enclosure and reverted the KSC-75's to their original state. YMMV.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 17
You should cut a nice hole in the middle and glue mesh wire on the inside a la Grados... that'd open 'em up real nice.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 17
nice job dude, nice job. I just wish I had some of those 75's to try it with myself.
3000smile.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPatcH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should cut a nice hole in the middle and glue mesh wire on the inside a la Grados... that'd open 'em up real nice.
biggrin.gif

And it would look cool too! Thanks for the suggestion. I just might do that.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 17
dude, recable ur sony-ksc75, u will be fly with the sound.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 17
agree...a decent recable is definitely required

i also did the same thing but to a philips headphone (urs was simpler though)...link in siggy
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 17
He he
Nice work, transplanting the KSC-75 driver into the MDR-V150 chassis'

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 17
I just completed this mod, and there are some sonic differences at the moment. Electric sounds (or rather non acoustic or vocal noises) seem to be more scratchy (just a little).

My theory is that the open nature of the ksc75s with the closed v150 enclosure is letting the sound bounce a bit. Might throw in some acoustic dampening material a little later when i'm home to see if i can fix this.

They're still nice-ish for office cans though. Less hassle than removing/re-inserting um2s whenever someone attempts communication
wink.gif

Was able to do the mod during a lunch break
biggrin.gif

More impressions with the dampening later. Any recommendations on damping material? I'm thinking maybe blutac.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 17
we have an audiophiles in our local forum, having test one ksc75, super MOD, not oni recable, holing , but do more specific modification...will post something later when i test it in details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back