ksc-75 for cheap or Ksc-35
Feb 27, 2008 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

weste47

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide whether to spend less money and buy a pair of ksc-75's for around $8 or spend the $44 and buy the ksc-35's from the Koss website. What do you recommend?

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 19
I would go with 75s. 35s are okay, but honestly it's "almost-out-of-production-so-it-must-be-good" hype at the moment. plus, I find 75s a bit more balance to my taste anyways. Price tag helps
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 19
Actually the 35's have been out of production for a while Koss just made a special run of them. The PortaPros use the same driver and I don't think their sound quality is hype. For a 25 dollar earphone who needs hype?

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the 35's have been out of production for a while Koss just made a special run of them. The PortaPros use the same driver and I don't think their sound quality is hype. For a 25 dollar earphone who needs hype?

biggrin.gif
I personally preferred 75's over 35's because they were less bass heavy.. Still fantastic deal for 75's, and 44$ for 35's seem a bit high.

It really depends on if OP likes bass-heavy 'phones better or not.

Actually, I recommend buying them both
biggrin.gif
and try to figure out which you like better- you can always sell your disliked pair for almost same price you got it for.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 19
You can get them for 34 plus shipping if you put in the code: anniversary

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and 44$ for 35's seem a bit high...

I'll give you that, but $44 is about what you can pay for the PortaPro which also has 35 drivers. They are definitely a special headphones and have a great sound signature that is far from hype. It does come down to personal preference though, when these two drivers are placed side by side: 75 for toned down bass and sparkly highs or 35 for warm, deep bass and toned down highs.

I personally go with the 35 driver when it comes down to this, but prefer the drivers on the PortaPro headband, compared to the clips that the KSC-35s come come on.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 19
KSC35's, to me they are NOT bass heavy at all, just more warmer...PX100's are bass heavy/very warm/dark-ish. I prefer the 35's than 75's, but i prefer PX100's than either of those on my iA7

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Go with the cheaper ones if the difference is that big. There's a chance you'll like the KSC-75s more, they're just different (better highs IMO, a bit less warm though).

A huge part of the described difference between the KSC-75 and the Portapro is just a result of the form factors; the Portapro presses to your ear, the KSC-75 holds it lightly against your ear creating more space to the sound. If you compare the drivers alone they're not THAT different.

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Just cut out a center section about 10mm or the size of a quarter and you will have the highs with the 35's or Portapros, it is that simple and it has been presented here many times on the forum. Oh, from the foam of course. :^)

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A huge part of the described difference between the KSC-75 and the Portapro is just a result of the form factors; the Portapro presses to your ear, the KSC-75 holds it lightly against your ear creating more space to the sound. If you compare the drivers alone they're not THAT different.

Actually, try switching the drivers from the two back and forth (i.e. snap the KSC-75 drivers onto the PortaPro headband and the PortaPro drivers onto the KSC-75 clips, and then try what you described above again. The two do have rather different sound signatures, especially when comparing the bass and the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back