KSC-75 Foam Mod
Jun 22, 2005 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

git20

New Head-Fier
I've read a couple of references to modding the ear pad without specifics. My questions are, what exactly is the mod and how does it affect the sound. (They are probably about as bright as I would want them now.)

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 27
you cut a round hole in the middle of each. it will let the highs through!

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by git20
I've read a couple of references to modding the ear pad without specifics. My questions are, what exactly is the mod and how does it affect the sound. (They are probably about as bright as I would want them now.)

Pretty simple, just cut out the middle of the earpad. You can cut a small hole to expose the driver or a larger one. The larger the hole the more it opens up the sound. It really increases dynamics and decreases conjestion. Yes it also increases treble, but IMHO its not excessive.... but thats my oppinion. Bass seems less muddy too. It also opens up the soundstage just a little. IMHO amped its scarry close to an SR60.

Im willing to bet you can do the same mod to the KTX pro1.

Does wonders for vocals and guitars IMHO. Heres a pic of mine. I used small hobby scissors to trim it out.

401268_356_full.jpg

Garrett

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Pretty simple, just cut out the middle of the earpad. You can cut a small hole to expose the driver or a larger one. The larger the hole the more it opens up the sound. It really increases dynamics and decreases conjestion. Yes it also increases treble, but IMHO its not excessive.... but thats my oppinion. Bass seems less muddy too. It also opens up the soundstage just a little. IMHO amped its scarry close to an SR60.

Im willing to bet you can do the same mod to the KTX pro1.

Does wonders for vocals and guitars IMHO. Heres a pic of mine. I used small hobby scissors to trim it out.

Garrett

My thoughts exactly. I just cut my pads a little over a week ago and had the same experience. IMO, the treble increase was definitely needed on the KTXPro1. I also really like the opened-up sound.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 27
Im tempted to drill out some holes in that plastic grill cover to open them up further... I dont want to damage the driver though.

wow you can really see ther shiny titanium coating and all my earwax/dandruff in that pic

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 27
yeah i cut a hole in my foam too, i definitely noticed clearer/sharper highs

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 27
that's one of the reasons i leave my pads unmodded - ear flakes in the driver phobia!

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 27
Yes, I did the same mod and if I pressed the drivers against my ears, B-B-BASS!!! Now lets see who can come up with a clamping mod the quickest :-D

This guy did a "clamp" mod for his clip-on EW9. I wonder if we can do it for the ksc75?

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Im tempted to drill out some holes in that plastic grill cover to open them up further... I dont want to damage the driver though.

The grill cover pops right off- just be gentle.

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by prona
Yes, I did the same mod and if I pressed the drivers against my ears, B-B-BASS!!! Now lets see who can come up with a clamping mod the quickest :-D

just buy a KSC-55, problem solved. It's a [size=small]bit[/size] tight though.
j/k.. Just bend the clips until there's the best compromise between comfort and clamping force on the KSC-75s.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 27
I am bumping this because I have a question. Are those earpads easy to come by/replace? I don't want to attempt anything without the knowledge that I can "undo" the mod. Ideally, the pads would be cheap enough so that I can test it with holes of various size too.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
I am bumping this because I have a question. Are those earpads easy to come by/replace? I don't want to attempt anything without the knowledge that I can "undo" the mod. Ideally, the pads would be cheap enough so that I can test it with holes of various size too.

Got my replacements at Radio Shack and the mod really improves the PP's or so my happy ears are saying. Yeah, I have talking ears......

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 27
This thread covers it all:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126234

You also don't need a dremel or anything fancy to accomplish this. I did both mods (the foam hole and grill holes) with just a sharp pocket knife (although I am pretty good with knives). For the foam hole, I just removed the foam, placed a quarter in the center, and then cut around the quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back