KSC-75 Foam Mod
Feb 14, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 27
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126234 <- Excellent Walkthrough

There are many ways to cut a good circle. With mine, I pressed a US quarter on it and cut around the edge with a utility knife. Nice round hole. These phones are absolutely amazing after the quarter mod and the other "more holes in the grill" mod. I am going to have to find a way to make a mesh screen for my others to see how well it works.

Edit: Lol dk. Great minds think alike
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #18 of 27
I won't argue with you cloudbreak
biggrin.gif

let us know how the mesh works - I am a bit worried about small particles getting onto the drivers because of the lack of foam, and larger grill holes.

Feb 14, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso
I am a bit worried about small particles getting onto the drivers because of the lack of foam, and larger grill holes.

This is a concern and something you have to keep an eye on. My second KSC I drilled out the grille but left the foam as-is.

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
So anybody know how to take off the pad out of the ktxpro1??

The drivers are glued in place with some loose adhesive. If you pull gently the drivers pop out of the headband. From there just gently unhook the foam.

The KTX Pro1 puzzles me. Its the same Ti diaphragm as the KSC75, same housing as the KSC35/sportapro. For some reason it sounds muddy and the upper mids and treble is a little recessed. Even more so than the bass heavy sportapro.???

I got the Pro1 and a KSC75 for christmas (so we can rule out burn-in effects), and the differences are night-day.

I spliced out the KTXPro1 volume slider and just soldered the wires straight.... same result.

I'm completely replacing the entire cable with one from an extra KSC75. I'll post back on my impressions...

I'm starting to really think its either the KTX foam earpad or something with the geomotry of the driver enclosure?

Garrett

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 27
Wow, thanks for the detailed pic!
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the contrast in sound between the ktx and 75s Im thinking its the pad or the cabling. Why dont these phones use the same 75, PP cables!!?

i got a pair of rat shack big foamies and plan to do your quarter mod on them in an attempt to balance the sound.

I'd like to hear from your results.

Feb 16, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 27
Here's my quick mod, thanks to the help of Kramer5150.

The bass isnt as overwhelming and muffled now. The treble has definitely improved. The comfort level has also been much improved; the band doesnt feel as tight as it was with the small, stock foams. Maybe i should try drilling a couple holes in later.

here are a couple pics.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 27
woah I just did the mod and the sound changed much more dramaticly then my initial expectations! Its not exactly a set of new cans but it's definatly alot more airier. It feels like after the mod it gave the phones an extension of its sound stage, and the mod, definatly raises its fun factor!

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
Here's my quick mod, thanks to the help of Kramer5150.

The bass isnt as overwhelming and muffled now. The treble has definitely improved. The comfort level has also been much improved; the band doesnt feel as tight as it was with the small, stock foams. Maybe i should try drilling a couple holes in later.

here are a couple pics.

I just did the same thing with HD414 pads... yes the highs are MUCH clearer now. I also dremel'd larger holes into the grille covers, and recabled with a KSC75 cable. I for one didn't care for that stupid volume slider.
I think someone else did the HD414 pad mod mod over the summer... we should give credit to that guy
biggrin.gif

I'd post pics but theyre so ugly with the bright yellow pads. Those rat shack pads look a LOT better.

I think the problem is the OEM pads... theyre too thin and muffle at least some of the sound. The HD414 pads even without the hole cut out mod sounded a LOT better than the OEM Koss foam. The HD414 pads have a "thick side and a thin side", in that you can reverse the pads around to space the drivers farther for more image and treble sparkle. I have it set to the thin side so the drivers are closer to my ears. Its kind of like the reversing grado bowl pads.

Garrett

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 27
heh, i want yellow HD 414 pads for my portapros. Give it more of a vintage look.

I dont know, but the sound is much better with a better soundstage. Feels a lot better and looks really cool. Ill keep burning these babies in, since i just got them last week along with my ksc75s from amazon.

The KTXPros look a lot better with bigger pads. Good thing the oem pads can be used with my ksc50s and 75s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I just did the same thing with HD414 pads... yes the highs are MUCH clearer now. I also dremel'd larger holes into the grille covers, and recabled with a KSC75 cable. I for one didn't care for that stupid volume slider.
Garrett

From your earlier pictures it looks like you could simply snap the KSC75 driver right into the housing. Does that work, or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back