KSC-35 vs KSC-50
Apr 30, 2002 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Satori

100+ Head-Fier
I know there has been a little bit of discussion about these two headphones and after reading some of the threads i decided to swing by Circuit City to see if they had the KSC-35 on the clearance rack...they didn't. But they did have the KSC-50s for $14.99 so I picked them up.

I was wondering if it would be worth trying to get the the KSC-35s or if the KSC-50s were equivalent or "close enought" to the 35s?

Apr 30, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 14
Hello Satori:

The KSC-50 and 35 fit differently on the ear, and as a result each have a different sound. Of all the headphones that utilize the same driver (35 50 sportapro portapro) the consesus is that the 35 sounds best. Go over to the Marketplace section of headwize.com, there is a fellow selling the 35 for $20 + shipping. It's a good deal. The 35 uses a rubber cord which will last much longer than the fabric cord on the 50 (which will begin fraying within a week, I promise) so it's worth the extra money for that alone.

Apr 30, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
The 35 uses a rubber cord which will last much longer than the fabric cord on the 50 (which will begin fraying within a week, I promise) so it's worth the extra money for that alone.

The KSC-50's that I bought from Circuit City have the rubber cord like the 35's.

Apr 30, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 14
I agree with jeff...in a similar post I have said that the ksc 35 sounded almost as good as my grado sr60.
buy them, they are worth it!

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Megadeus
The KSC-50's that I bought from Circuit City have the rubber cord like the 35's.

Cool! I've bought two pair of 50's and both had the far inferior fabric cord. You lucked up.

Apr 30, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks everyone. I was just about to buy the ones from the guy at headwize and I wanted to make sure it was worth the $23.50.

BTW my KSC-50s have a rubber cord also.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Commander
The KSC-35's should be snapped up without even thinking - they are better sounding than the 50's (I have both).

I have the KSC-50s, and... if i'm honest, I think they sound terrible, very quiet... need driving hard to get much of a volume, and when you do the diaphragms distort...

I can get the KSC-35s for the equivilant of $50, are they HONESTLY a different breed of 'phone altogether than their higher ranked cousins? I'd be mortified if I spent that cash to find that they sound VERY similar to the 50s
frown.gif

May 1, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I have the KSC-50s, and... if i'm honest, I think they sound terrible, very quiet... need driving hard to get much of a volume, and when you do the diaphragms distort...

Warning: perspective coming!
evil_smiley.gif
Duncan, by all accounts you listen to music at MUCH higher volumes than probably anyone on this board -- it's safe to say that at average listening levels, they don't distort. I've never heard the KSC-50 or KSC-35 clip or distort.

Also, when a headphone or speaker clips or distorts, the problem is generally inadequate power, not the driver of the headphone.

May 1, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 14
MacDef, I beg to differ...

I guess there is the remote chance that my '50s are faulty, but my pair cannot be powered well even with my E905 (which has got a very clean output, and does not distort with ANY other 'phone) they sound very muddy, no high end to speak of, but with a credible bass response...

The other thing that I find very unfortunate, is that my particular pair cannot be worn in even the mildest of winds, this also makes the diaphragms pop... this could potentially explain the 'clipping', that the diaphragms may be damaged, but I have removed the foamies and the drivers look intact, no signs of distortion
frown.gif

If the KSC-35s sound brighter in the treble, and with the closer fit they offer sound louder... and are more resistant to the wind than the 50s then i'm sold... if not, i'll look elsewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Duncan,

I think you might want to take advantage of Koss' lifetime warranty with your KSC-50's. Your pair seems atypical of most people's findings, including myself.

While I agree that the 50's are a little harder to drive by my portable MD, requiring a little more volume, I've never experienced any distortion. Even running them off my homemade head-amp connected to my computer and cranking it up, I can't make them distort even with the volume set to near hearing-killing levels. And I've never had problems with mine on windy days.

May 2, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 14
I dont know if anyone have notice this yet,

but the foamies that ksc50 use are much thicker, just go and check and press the foamies.....u can feel that its alot more elevated than the sportas.

plus the earclips have a little too much space for a tighter fit.

Yes, when listening through ksc50s, i have to turn volume up more because of the millimeter gap between my ears.

Overall, i still wear this everyday to school. and the silverish paint is already coming off.

Im wondering where it all went. My skin must of absorbed it.

still an excellent purchase.

smily_headphones1.gif
Also, my sportas sound much better on my soundblaster live value than when using it with 50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back