KRK RP5 - idle buzzing/humming .. help!
May 5, 2009 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
both monitors are giving a buzz/hissing sound when being used w/ my desktop at idle.. the monitors are connected xlr -> 1/8" to my motherboard sound card

how can i fix this problem? do i need to purchase a better sound card?

also, i think one of the monitors is buzzing a lot louder than the other.. is this a sign of anything?

thanks

May 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 23
I have a pair of the RP8's and I had a similar buzzing problem not too long ago. My best guess would be interference/computer noise. Check to see if the cables aren't tangled with a whole bunch of other power cables, if that isn't the case, then it is likely due to your sound card and it amplifying a lot of the noise from inside the computer. De-tangling the cables worked for me! Good luck.

May 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 23
thanks! de-tangling them helped a bit but it's still there
frown.gif

i guess i will purchase a better sound card?

May 6, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 23
Yeah, if your sound card is of questionable quality that may be a wise decision. Look around, if you want something internal, many people seem to be recommending the Asus Xonar Essence STX. Since I use them as monitors for production I bought a Focusrite Saffire LE which is external and is of good quality, but I need the inputs/outputs. You could also step it up to an external DAC. Guess it depends on your needs and how much you are willing to spend.

May 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 23
If I'm only using these monitors for listening to music, do you think an internal card or DAC would benefit the SQ more?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Asus card, I've been considering getting a Fubar II.. what should I base my decision on?

I'd say my budgets around $150.. what do you think the best bang for my buck is as far as improving the SQ on these monitors?

thanks

May 6, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 23
I'd recommend reading through the Asus Essence STX thread, you will learn there if that is something you would be into. It seems like a really good value, it has RCA outs, COAX out, and a reportedly excellent headphone amp for the money... And it comes in right around your budget. You can even experiment with different op amps to change the sounds to your liking. Also, it would serve as a good basis for a future upgrade path since it is of high quality and would make a good Transport to a proper DAC in the future and even be used as a DAC for a headphone amp while you wait to upgrade. Don't know if that is something you are into, but this is head-fi!

May 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a dac then use either usb or digital out from your mobo.

my vxt4's pick up rfi :/

any recommendations for about $150? would Fubar II be my best bet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend reading through the Asus Essence STX thread, you will learn there if that is something you would be into. It seems like a really good value, it has RCA outs, COAX out, and a reportedly excellent headphone amp for the money... And it comes in right around your budget. You can even experiment with different op amps to change the sounds to your liking. Also, it would serve as a good basis for a future upgrade path since it is of high quality and would make a good Transport to a proper DAC in the future and even be used as a DAC for a headphone amp while you wait to upgrade. Don't know if that is something you are into, but this is head-fi!

thanks for the advice but i just did some reading on this card and it's very nice.. maybe too nice, i'm thinking it's probably overkill for my situation

i think im going to go w/ a usb dac.. any recommendations?
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks

May 6, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 23
also, one monitor is hissing/buzzing noticeably and annoyingly louder than the other at idle...

would the computer interference cause one to be buzzing louder than the other? or could it possibly be the monitor's problem? the other one is pretty quiet actually, if this louder one wasn't buzzing i probably wouldnt even mind

May 6, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 23
its called 'blitter noise' guys; its caused by RFI and EMI interference from your graphics card being too close to the audio card. if you have any spare bays that are further away from your GPU move the soundcard to that and try it. it isnt only with cheap cards, my RME hammerfall DSP 9632 had it too until I moved it. also, the fact you are using the XLR inputs on your monitors from your minijack will be impacting on it too. why are you doing this?? you arent getting any benefit, you monitors wont be receiving balanced audio and XLRs arent always that well shielded as they dont need to be as well shielded as the ground is driven, so the fact that you are defeating this by using it with a single ended source will likely be causing troubles too and maybe a ground loop of sorts. just get yourself a mini to RCA cable and use the RCA inputs; it'll sound better until you actually get a balanced source.

hope that helps

May 6, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 23
or use the 1/4" inputs if you dont have RCA; as ling as they are single ended inputs, not balanced

May 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 23
thanks for the response qusp

there's an hp out on the front side of my gateway pc.. i have it plugged in there and it's not near the video card but it's still getting the buzzing

i'll get a mini to rca cable to see if that cures the problem.. if not, would getting a usb dac be my best bet?

May 7, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 23
the output of the minijack might not be close to the GPU, but maybe the onboard audio is. its coming from the interaction or interference produced by the GPU and if the audio hardware is near that then that or the interconnect may the problem. are you using an aftermarket video card?? or is it onboard??

in general yes an external audio card or USB dac etc will be quieter, just watch you get a decent USB cabvle, sometimes you can find that interference travels up the USB or if its a cheap dac you can get a ground loop with the USB. some of the ibasso products have this problem with noise traveling up the USB and causing a ground loop. iedeally an optical dac would be best. the audio card you are using now has optical right?? if so keep that in use and get yourself a dac with optical in as well as USB. the gamma1 comes to mind, then use that with your portable amp if you have one. the gamma1 will drive high impedaence loads well, without an amp, but will have bass roll-off with low imp IEMs and such

May 7, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 23
its not the outputs that are picking up the sound from the graphics card its the dac in the audio card being effected. you havent tried movinfg the graphics card or audio card to another slot yet have you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back