KRK KNS 8400
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SheaMolt

New Head-Fier
So I'm new to Head-Fi and have been searching non stop for my first pair of audiophile headphones. I want decent bass (for electronic type music) and also good clarity in general for gaming along with John Mayer-type music. These will primarily be used in the library for studying, so closed headphones is a must so I don't disturb others.

At first I was set on the M50's and then shortly after that I found the the KNS8400's were rated better them - however they supposedly they lack the bass I want ( I wish I could just listen to them eh?)

Anyway, my price range I would say is about 130+-50 depending on the set. I also think the Beyerdynamic custom one pro's may also be able to do the trick.

Any recommendations? Comfort >>> Clarity > Bass > Portability

Thanks

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 4
IMO you wont beat them for clarity and comfort,the bass will depend more on the amp used.I am happy with mine,not heard the M50's thou,
It seems hard to get clarity and bass with closed back phones,hopefully someone will tell me i am talking out my butt..
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 4
What about the UE 6000?  I find that they are great closed all-around headphones for multiple genres of music, especially when you consider its price ($199).  They are supposedly "noise cancelling" but the noise cancelling feature is definitely a bass booster rather than actual noise cancelling.  You can easily listen to the UE6000 in passive mode without the batteries which makes the bass boosting optional.  Also, they are foldable, the cable is detachable, it has a sturdy build, and of course they are comfortable (IMO) so you definitely have comfort and portablility.  Don't take my word for it, your local best buy or apple store should have them and you should definitely audition the UE 6000 or any headphones that you are interested in, if you have the chance (especially when you're on a budget).  However, I have not used them for gaming, so I can't say anything about that.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
So I'm new to Head-Fi and have been searching non stop for my first pair of audiophile headphones. I want decent bass (for electronic type music) and also good clarity in general for gaming along with John Mayer-type music. These will primarily be used in the library for studying, so closed headphones is a must so I don't disturb others.

At first I was set on the M50's and then shortly after that I found the the KNS8400's were rated better them - however they supposedly they lack the bass I want ( I wish I could just listen to them eh?)

Anyway, my price range I would say is about 130+-50 depending on the set. I also think the Beyerdynamic custom one pro's may also be able to do the trick.

Any recommendations? Comfort >>> Clarity > Bass > Portability

Thanks

Heya,

The KRK KNS8400 is a good headphone for creation. But for casual listening, I would not call it something super enjoyable unless you just want that dry, lifeless, "I use this tool to record" type thing. It's not awful. But I would not call it a treat for casual listening for enjoyment. It's a very good headphone, but you have to consider what it's for and why it sounds the way it does. It's great for it's purpose, as a monitor. But for just casually listening to some music, especially someone who wants to listen to some bassy music like yourself, it will likely just leave you very underwhelmed.

I would suggest you look at the Beyer Custom One Pro and the Ultrasone HFI 580.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back