KRK 8400 - No Bass?
Aug 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SecondZephyr

New Head-Fier
Just bought a pair of KRK 8400s. They don't feel bad on my head from my initial listening, and they seem like they might be nice for wearing around a college campus.
Only one problem - they have pretty much no bass.

Now, before people start accusing me of being a bass-head, this is coming from someone who's favorite headphones are the Audio Technica AD700s. I love them. And they don't have much bass. I'm fine with that.
I just did a side-by-side comparison, and my pair of AD700s clearly has more bass than my 8400s. No stipulations - it's in virtually every way, shape, and form.

This frequency response graph comparison on Headphone.com says quite the contrary...

I tried them on both my cell phone (because I planned to use them for portable use) and my laptop, as well. Same result - an extreme lack of any low frequencies.
Is there something wrong with my pair, or do all 8400s sound like this? I've been considering sending them back...

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 6
If you do not like the sound, send them back.
(I own the KRK8400, but never feel like using them)

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, sell on eBay for $50.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
If you do not like the sound, send them back.
(I own the KRK8400, but never feel like using them)

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, sell on eBay for $50.

You, sir, are very to the point.
biggrin.gif

Have you had a similar experience with 8400s? Just looking for other people's experiences, as well. If I got a weird pair, I could maybe order another. (I probably won't, but I am curious. That frequency response graph doesn't come close to making sense...)

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 6
I had a few pairs that sounded close to being bass light. The third pair seemed OK. They actually have more pronounced low bass than the Q701, HD-650 and my HD-598. Just no mid-bass hump to me. Some say they do have a little more extra upper bass. I actually used the 8400 for gaming sometimes just due to the extra low bass. There is stuff on them that barely registers on anything but my DJ100.

To my ears they 100% do not even remotely sound close to the headroom graphs. Not sure what happened there. The Inner Fidelity ones look a bit more normal.

One thing I don't get is people suggesting them along with the M50. They're not even remotely similar to me.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 6
That sounds weird.  Maybe a stupid question, but did you check the cable connection?  IIRC, they definitely had more bass than the AD 700s, and I definitely enjoyed their bass reproduction more.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
You, sir, are very to the point.
biggrin.gif

Have you had a similar experience with 8400s? Just looking for other people's experiences, as well. If I got a weird pair, I could maybe order another. (I probably won't, but I am curious. That frequency response graph doesn't come close to making sense...)

I never thought there was anything wrong with the KRK8400 sound and I got my pair used for a fairly good price ($65?)
Could be they are more geared for studio type use, then end user music player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back