Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
(Sings to donut)
If loving you is wrong,
I don't want to be right...

LOL, Dusty...

biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #32 of 48
Krispy Kremes are best eaten when the hot sign is on. At least in NY, they put on a light that tells you a fresh batch just got made. I was disappointed, however, to learn that they cancelled the summer seasonal Key Lime Doughnut. I used to go in with a Stewart's Key Lime Soda and get two Key Lime Doughnuts, then shiver for an hour from the sugar. Krispy Kreme coffee, for the record, sucks.

Yet to try: Doughnut Plant (doughnutplant.com), supposedly the best anywhere.

Best Doughnut Eaten: Kimberton Fair (Kimberton, PA) dougnuts. I suspect that they're actually fried in lard, but you don't care after a bite.

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by huy_ha
[...]
I suspect that they're actually fried in lard, but you don't care after a bite.

Fat equals flavor - cliche but true.

If you don't like the idea of butter in your recipe, just substitute with cream :) [J. Childs]

Oct 14, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #34 of 48
well, we don't have krispy kreme here in canada (yet), so for the moment, Tim Horton's. mmm....honey cruller.....timbits.....mmmm.....

or you could just settle for the forbidden soul donut.

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by chewmanji
mmm....honey cruller.....timbits.....mmmm.....

or you could just settle for the forbidden soul donut.

Now I gotta go and get some donnuts. Thank you all, you just destroyed my last attempt to loose weigth without exercise.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #36 of 48
Do they have Tim Horten's in the states? They are on every street corner it seems like here in Ontario... :p

Biggie.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Do they have Tim Horten's in the states? They are on every street corner it seems like here in Ontario... :p

Biggie.

I've never heard of them here in New England.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by chewmanji
well, we don't have krispy kreme here in canada (yet), so for the moment, Tim Horton's. mmm....honey cruller.....timbits.....mmmm.....

We do now, there's a krispy kreme store about 20 minutes west of Toronto which opened about 8-12 months ago if I remember right. The place is jammed with people and they still get 1 hour lineups during peak hours. Those things are so unhealthy, I once ate 4 of them at one sitting and I swear I could feel my arteries clogging up, but man, they taste so good!

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Now I gotta go and get some donnuts. Thank you all, you just destroyed my last attempt to loose weigth without exercise.
biggrin.gif

First your wallet, then your money belt. We are evil.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Yeah, they're just now showing up in Western NY. We've also got KK here, and Dunkin.

KK Donut tip: If your KK's get hard, nuke 'em for 6 seconds, then they'll melt in your mouth again just like new!
tongue.gif

The lines at KK were pretty long when they opened up here a couple of years ago, but rest assured that they will *eventually* die down.

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #41 of 48
So this guy goes into a coffee shop and orders a hamburger from a big, greasy, unkempt guy behind the counter.

The counter guy yells "HEY, ONE HAMBURGER" to this even greasier, nastier looking dude wearing a wife-beater t-shirt in the back. That guy then grabs a handful of chopped meat, sticks it in his arm pit, pumps his arm up and down a few times, and then tosses the meat on the grill.

Appalled, the customer says to the counterman, "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen!"

The counterman replies, "Of yeah? If you think that's bad, you should see how he makes the doughnuts!"

Oct 16, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #42 of 48
The best donuts I've ever had came out of two different independent bakery shops. Chocolate covered, whipped cream filled donuts to die for. Made with dark, rich real chocolate ( not the plasiticized glazed stuff the chains use ) and real whipped cream filling ( not the petrochemical foam used by many chains)

Because of the real chocolate and real whipped cream, these had to be refridgerated. Unfortunately one of the bakeries closed about 20 years ago and the other closed (after 47 years in business) just last year.

I always thought a chocolate covered donut injected with ice cream instead of whipped or jelly filling would be interesting.

Or a coffee shop chain that served benyays (SP) like the ones in New Orleans. MMMMMMMM deadly.

I think too much about donuts.

Oct 16, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
We do now, there's a krispy kreme store about 20 minutes west of Toronto which opened about 8-12 months ago if I remember right. The place is jammed with people and they still get 1 hour lineups during peak hours. Those things are so unhealthy, I once ate 4 of them at one sitting and I swear I could feel my arteries clogging up, but man, they taste so good!

Sorry to harp again on this, but who in their right mind would wait an hour to purchase something that will eventually kill them? An occasional snack mixed in with proper diet and eating habits is fine, but to do this on a daily basis, then wash it down with another killer, coffee? Sounds somewhat counterproductive, no? What's up with these people? No common sense? Or is is something beyond that, beyond control, a type of addiction, similar to crack or heroin? Must be, if someone's willing to wait an hour to do it. Two steps into the car, drive to the drive-thru, two steps to the office, sit behind the workstation all day, back to the car, two steps into the house, sit down at the dinner table, eat, watch TV, sleep. Repeat. No wonder half of modern society (especially kids) are overweight and totally screwed up.

And you have to laugh at these reports where humans will soon be able to live up to the age of 120. At this rate, with the current fast food eating habits and lack of exercise, they'll have heart disease at age 23.

OK, now that I've got that off my chest, onto the topic. I'm getting hungry. Does Krispy Kreme do mail-order? I don't have a franchise near me (within 300 miles anyway and I'm getting hungry just thinking about those donuts. Hell, we only live once, let's indulge to the max. Why go miserably? Mmmmm donuts....

biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #45 of 48
For the last few days I have seen this thread and thought to my self "what the hell is a krispy kreme donut?". So I finally clicked on it, lol those sound pretty disgusting. I dont eat donuts anyway (vegan thing) but if I did I would probably- well wait even before I was vegan I never went out of my way to eat a donut so no I probably wouldnt try one just to see. That said the recipes for the success of a food product in america seem to be pretty simple. a) Take plain product, infuse with as much saturated fat as possible, make cheap and easily accessible. b) Take average product, compose fancy advertising campaign to form business identity, charge 3x what product is worth. c) Take snack like product, infuse with as much sugar as possible, shape like popular childrens tv icon, make colorful box, advertise on tv. or d) Flood the market with your average product, advertise everywhere, have famous people endorse it.

a) Gets the lazy ones, b) Gets the image conscious ones, c) Gets all the parents who want to shut their whiney little brat kids up because they cant eat the identically tasting crap that theyve been eating for the last 2 years because the pokimon version is out, and d) Gets all the followers because they dont bother to investigate other alternatives to what theyre buying. "If everyone else is using it it must be good".

To sum it up, these business stratigies would get all the lazy, image conscious, whiney followers to buy your product. No wonder they work so well in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back