krell ksa-5 head amp
Nov 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #31 of 50
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/ksa5klone.jpg

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/krellsupplies.jpg

came out just fine. and sounds really great.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #32 of 50
Case just showed up today. 8 days from China to US east coast!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400523705862

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 50
I was wondering how this compared to other more recent amps as well.  I haven't listened to headphones at home in a while.  I mostly listen to speakers or Shure SE-530 in ears at work on about.  I have a Meridian 861 as the main pre-amp/processor and it doesn't have single ended outs so I left my original KSA-5 in the box for a while.  I just got an OPPO BDP-105 and hooked it up to the single ended outs.  I plugged in my older Grado HP2 with Cardas cables and it sounded pretty good but I have nothing to compare it to.

Connecting to the OPPO was just convenience and a more direct connection (shorter cable runs too) than connecting it to the single  ended outputs of my Krell KSA-250.

Would the KSA-5 also benefit much from power filtering since I have no more plugs on my PS-Audio Power Plant?

If I decide to replace the Grados what cans woudl be a good match?

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #34 of 50
There is pretty much nothing out there that beats the KSA-5 but a stock Krell unit needs to be refurbished at this point.  The electrolytic capacitors simply dry out in 15 years or so and need to be replaced. 

As for power filtration, the KSA-5 has an almost comical level of capacitance for an amp of this size (Krell must have owned stock in the capacitor company) so it's the stiffest power supply you can find. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #37 of 50
you can argue that an electrolytic sitting uncharged on the shelf will age them faster, and a loss of capacitance, than being used on a regular basis within spec.  

you can inspect the top of the cans for electrolytic brown ooze or bulging (failure), but even without obvious signs of capacitor death, at the age of a KSA-5, i agree with Spritzer and would recap it without question.  the KSA-5 deserves to be recapped.  maybe call Krell?  they were always very gracious with me.  we're not talking about subjective audiophoolery here either.  if you want it to perform as intended...   

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #38 of 50
The build begins: :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #39 of 50
Getting closer:

edit.... Complete: :)

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #40 of 50
Initial impressions: This is not your grandpas amp.....it will let the magic smoke out of inferior headphones without breaking a sweat. At over 105dB SNR and 5W available into 8ohmz, that hiss you're hearing is not the amp....it's the source. :) It's clean clear power and the soundstage is extraordinary.

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #41 of 50
It is quite nice... 
redface.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #42 of 50
looks great 
smile.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #43 of 50
Any thoughts on what headphones to pair with the KSA5? :)

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #44 of 50
Any thoughts on what headphones to pair with the KSA5?
smily_headphones1.gif

i could never get the HD800 to move me.  i'm hoping to get to hear the combo at the next MN meet.  i think it should make for a good pairing.

sounds great with any of my HPs, but the AD2000 and modded Fostex T50RP are my favs.  two very different HPs.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #45 of 50
Hmm, the T50RP slipped below my radar....they look interesting. I may need to give them a listen and read up on them more. :)
What mods are you running with?
i could never get the HD800 to move me.  i'm hoping to get to hear the combo at the next MN meet.  i think it should make for a good pairing.

sounds great with any of my HPs, but the AD2000 and modded Fostex T50RP are my favs.  two very different HPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back