Krell KSA 5 Clone (China)
Mar 27, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #46 of 85

I modified the stock KSA5 from Aliexpress by adding a Low pass filter beside transformer AC 24V - 0V - 24V which also modified to increase the power.
Polymer Capacitors are put in parallel with high grade capacitors that replace the stock capacitor.
The stock input capacitors are replaced with higher grade ones too.
It now drives He-6s and LCD-2.2 and sounds better than any amp of mines including speaker amps and Gustard H10.

Dear Joong,
  Thank you for the post !

I have been looking for an inexpensive headphone amp, my current shortlist: 
  Lovely Cube
  Gustard H10
  KSA5 Clone

Was very interested to see your comment about better than the Gustard H10.  Found the assembled KSA5 board on ebay for 97.80 with shipping plus transformer, case, headphone socket and IEC.  

What would be your recommendation ?  Any other inexpensive headphone amps I should consider ?  Thank you for your guidance !

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #47 of 85
For tnose wanting a clone, the KG version is available on eBay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembeled-KG-version-KSA5-headphone-amp-preamp-board-audio-amplifier/222061303382

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #48 of 85
Hi

My phones are He6 and LCD 2.2 which are driven very well by krell.
But H10 and Burson Soloist were not my taste with my phones.
They did not open up the phones.

I sold all of them including Burson conductor, marantz pm 8003 ie 8005, and h10
Soloist and H10 is too smooth and weak in upper ranges.

Krell ksa 5 has many kinds if it is too cheap it will be a trouble.
My recommendation is KG version or 180usd version as shown. Both of them are Chinese version.

Thanks

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #49 of 85
Hi

My recommendation is KG version or 180usd version as shown. Both of them are Chinese version.

Thanks

Hi, I've had my eyes set on this newer version for a long time now but have been reluctant on buying. Over all is it better than the original clone of this thread? Can you discribe the differences? Thank you so much for your input on this thred.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #50 of 85
Hi

Thanks

Dear Joong,
  Thank you so much for the information !

Do you have a preference between the $180usd version and the KG version ?  It looks like the $180usd version includes potentiometer, shaft and headphone input. 

All the best.

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #51 of 85
KG version might be difficult to assemble due to the size and separate modules whereas 180Usd version is to be fed 4 inputs of transformer for powering.
The many outputs transformer is also available with the same seller.

For the SQ, I don't know which one is good.
KG version might require separate box for power because of its size of the main module.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #52 of 85
KG version might be difficult to assemble due to the size and separate modules whereas 180Usd version is to be fed 4 inputs of transformer for powering.
The many outputs transformer is also available with the same seller.

For the SQ, I don't know which one is good.
KG version might require separate box for power because of its size of the main module.

Thank you Joong,
  Which of the Krell KSA 5 clones do you still own ? The $180usd version ?  It looks like you have sold one.

It seems that you have tried several, and it is one of the amps that you have decided to keep.

All the best

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #55 of 85
Indeed Krell KSA5 with decent dac like X20 sounds wonderful through He-6s or LCD-2.2.
It does not shrill, or too bright.
You can hear what a conductor might hear at his or her podium.
The high is vibrant and with enough energy and there is full mid body.
You can hear bass that is just required to form music.

It is very surprising that Krell KSA5 thread is not popular.

Maybe to get a decent Ksa 5 requires soldering?

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #56 of 85
  Indeed Krell KSA5 with decent dac like X20 sounds wonderful through He-6s or LCD-2.2.
It does not shrill, or too bright.
You can hear what a conductor might hear at his or her podium.
The high is vibrant and with enough energy and there is full mid body.
You can hear bass that is just required to form music.

It is very surprising that Krell KSA5 thread is not popular.

Maybe to get a decent Ksa 5 requires soldering?

Dear Joong,
  It seems that you have really done your "homework" comparing different headphone amps and DACs, kudos !

It seems fewer people are interested in DIY, the reason for less interest.  I have emailed the vendor and asked for a price on the transformer for the unit.

All the best

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #60 of 85
OMG!! I thought sunnee's post was addressed to me: I got myself something with the same (looking) internals, a while back, but have had a self-enforced break from listening (and HF), so it's just been gathering dust. I do recall that I really enjoyed it with my older LCD2, which are my main phones, before I put them away.
I should be able to restart my listening, very soon. I'll try and leave some more details, and comments, but it'll be interesting to read about Hooster's impressions, so we can compare notes :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back