Kozee Infinity x1, General and Specific Questions
Sep 24, 2011 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cFran

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

For the last few months, I've been needing to get some better portable headphones/IEM's to upgrade from my klipsch s4's. I had originally bought the s4's before I had any inkling of what I actually sought in a headphone, I just knew that they had some good reviews and were available nearby. So I bought them. Then came head-fi (mixed blessing, 80% positive, 20% bank robbing, 100% enlightening). As a result, I bought some dt880's for home use, because I realized that I liked more neutral sound, and it just felt right to me. Now, however, whenever I am out where its noisy I have been having to use my s4's, and as a result pretty much limit myself only to electronic music (i listen to EVERYTHING most of the time, so this sucks)

Anyways, again through head-fi, i have stumbled upon the existence of the Kozee infinity x1, and I have a few questions for anyone who may have answers. (I'm set on budget customs for the sake of curiosity)

After reading the reviews, (I found 2 or 3 on this site) I noticed that nobody had any comparison the the non-Executive models. Being a starving-student, Every penny matters, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to short myself that last bit of goodness if it was worth the money to upgrade. So does anyone know anything about the differences in terms of sound? 

Also, with the ear moldings, it is my understanding that Kozee sends of the molding kit, you mold your ears, then you send it back, and it is included in the pricing. Being Canadian, I'm assuming that the whole process of having a package cross the border twice, would add to the general shipping costs. As well, I have some reservations about sticking thing deep into my ear that say on the box "for outer ear use only" (Q-Tips). Would it perhaps be more economical to have an audiologist take my impressions for me, then sending those over myself? Of course, before my final buy I will get in touch with Kozee to confirm my choices.

One last question I'm guessing might be better to ask directly to Kozee, does anyone know what the impedance of these would be? I like to use my cmoy for its sound characteristics over my ipod's headphone out, but if the impedance of these was too low I don't think it would make sense for me to amp them.

Despite my reservations with self molding, I am definitely comfortable with the idea of having IEM's made for my ears. I know that in terms of SQ, I could probably do better for my dollar with universals, but this is much more fun :wink:

Any advice/answers that anyone can give would be much appreciated, even if it extends beyond what I'm asking for. I will definitely update when I order. And if I end up with the non-executive model I will give them a much needed review, because I certainly couldn't find any. If nobody else offers any knowledge of what the non-executives sound like in comparison i'll likely end up with those for cost. 

Thanks in advance!

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think anyone owns both of them. However I personally own the normal X1 and joker has a nice review of the executives. To my ears the X1 is mid centric...only because the highs and lows are rolled off rather early. The bass is more punchy than one would expect from a single BA but lacks the extension found in other IEMs. The highs roll off early...I think someone mentioned at around 12KHz it drops heavily. From what joker reviewed, essentially the executives sound a lot more analytical and very ety like. I assume this means that the vented driver fixes the treble roll off.

In terms of the ear impressions, you are correct in the sense that they will send it to you, and you have to ship it to them once (adding to the rather long wait time). That being said, it is far more economical to do it this way and barring someone not following instructions, it is the same quality and safety as if an audiologist has done them.

Be aware though, Kozee does not have good communication, several members in the Kozee thread have mentioned long wait times (6 months i believe for a reshell) and a lack of communication and reply when emails were sent. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you very much for your reply.

I don't think i could handle roll off in the treble department so its likely that after the next couple paycheques come in I will place an order for the executive model. I recall from one of the reviews that it sounds somewhere between the mc5 and hf5, which is good enough for my out of home purposes. I listened to the mc5 a few days ago and besides the discomfort of the tips that were on, the sound was fab, so if these are better, I'll be a happy man. 

I suppose I'll find someone i trust to take the impressions if its essentially the same ordeal, still weirds me out a little though.

The communication or lack-there-of wouldn't bother me because Kozee does seem to be reliable in actually getting the job done, so not much more is needed. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I think its just the coolest thing in the world that someone can place an order for IEM's made to fit their ears. Its really novel to me but I'm new to this so I suppose thats expected. 

If anyone has anything else to add, that would be grand. I'd also be interested in hearing first time customs experience.
What was it like to put in your first customs for the first time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back