Koss's Lifetime Warranty? Anyone used it?
Nov 2, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
I bought my Sportapros more than three years ago. I don't have the original packaging and reciept anymore.

For some time, the 'mute' button that is incorporated into the design of the sportapro has interferred with the sound. I have to depress this mute button slightly in order for there to be sound. It only works sometime.

I don't use these portably anymore, because they are ugly, but they are still pretty good headphones if it were not for the faulty and annoying mute button.

The repair/replacement information in Koss's seems very straightforward, in that I just have to send the headphones with a $6 shipping and handling fee. It doesn't say anything about reciepts.

So has anyone returned their koss phones before? How long did it take to get them back?

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 29
Koss are grazy bunch. I live in Israel and the closest koss lab is in Sweden O_o
so i sent them a mail askin what to do.. Some chick replied with an adress in my country where i could sent my PortaPro's and get'em fixed. So i phoned them and they said "just send'em here", didn't even ask what's the problem (the cans were trashed).. Got them back today with new drivers
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 29
basshead.gif

I had my damaged Portas in this past March.... took about 5 weeks to get 'em back... new unit. Lower quality.

Anyway, yes, just send in the $6US to cover shipping and you'll soon get either your repaired unit or a replacement.

Nov 2, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 29
The only negative is that if you are sending them an outdated model that they don't sell anymore, they may send you their newer model which isn't necessary an upgrade or worth the same market price. Otherwise, it sounds like all a great deal.

Nov 4, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim
The only negative is that if you are sending them an outdated model that they don't sell anymore, they may send you their newer model which isn't necessary an upgrade or worth the same market price. Otherwise, it sounds like all a great deal.

I'll send them in soon. It will great if I get a ksc75.
tongue.gif
I'm fine with getting a replacement sportapro.

Nov 4, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 29
I've been wanting to send it my Portapros for over a year now and I still haven't gotten around to it.

How does it work, exactly? one of the black plasting sliding clips broker off (and I lost it. I hope I don't need it) and I used to hear a rustling sound from one of the drivers (although I haven't heard it lately so I'm not sure if it was just a hair or an actual defect).

Do I need to write a note explaining the problem(s) or do I just package it up, include some money (how does it work if I'm in Canada?) and send the pair in?

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 29
I have a pair of R80's that have been repaired 3 times by Koss.Don't worry
about the original box or receipt.My headband just broke again.I called
Koss and they offered 50% of the list price credit against the list of any new pair. I thought about getting a pair of Porta Pro's for $25 plus $6 shipping.
Atleast I won't have to worry about the metal headband breaking. I only use
them with my Discman when I'm out walking the dog. Besides,the R80's
are closed phones,the Porta Pro's would probably be safer to walk in traffic.
So $31.00 for Porta Pro's, $6 for a new headband,what do you think?

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 29
I'm planning to make full use of the lifetime warrenty by getting a pair of the cheapest Koss phones available to mankind, and putting the warrenty card in my first born child's name (assuming that I can one day find a woman who is willing to do her part... a big assumption, I might add). Then there will be the written instructions that I'll have to leave in my will (since I'm sure I'll be near the end of the road before I ever have a kid). He or she will have the obligation of serving as the test bed to challenge this 'lifetime warrenty' thing that they claim!

The first words my child will hear me speak as I pick him or her up for the first time, moments after delivery, will be, "Send those Koss foamies in once per year, kid, or you're grounded! Go ahead, break them all you want... see if the cat can jump up high enough to grab them... put them in between your bike's spokes... do as you wish, this is your one free ride in life!" Then, and only then (and 99 years later after my love child has peacefully settled into the nursing home with his or her 99th pair of foamies) will I have "used" the Koss lifetime warrenty. Too late to try it out myself, half of my life is gone already! How could I possibly use the lifetime warrenty? Nobody told me about it when I was born!!!

Ah, but that's what kids are for! That, and changing channels for you when the remote gets lost in between the seat cushions on the couch.

Nov 4, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 29
I think the basic deal is that if they still make the type of phone you send in, they'll just send new ones.. I just sent in my plugs and got a new pair in about 10 days.

yeah i know the plugs aren't so great but i NEED isolation on the bus, and they're good enough..

Nov 5, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 29
Here's the reply I received a few months back when I sent them an email:

Thank you for contacting Koss Stereophones. Stereophones that were purchased after July of 1989 are covered by our lifetime limited warranty. You may send them to our Corporation along with $6.00 (US)/$7.00 (Canadian) for the return shipping and handling per stereophone and we will repair or replace them in accordance with our Limited Lifetime Warranty

Koss Corporation
4129 N. Port Washington Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53212

See Canadian address below:

Koss Stereophones
P.O. BOX 385
MOUNT HOPE, ONT L0R 1W0

PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF REPAIRS AT MOUNT HOPE LOCATION - ONLY A MAIL ADDRESS

I'm confused about the price. Is that $7 Canadian or $7 US for Canadians? Because it's being sent to a location in Canada however 7 bucks CDN is less than $6 US and that strikes me as odd.

Also. I'm not sure exactly how to package the 'phones. Do I just go to the post office, and slide the loose (no packaging or receipts of any kind) headphones as well as a check into the envelope/package they give me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back