KOSS UR40: PERFECT!
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 46
Koss UR42i... https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/ur42i

They spout the "Hi-Res driver" marketing blurb. Interesting but skeptical for $50 as Koss hasn't done much well at $50 and under in a long time. Just meh stuff for the most part and living off the KSC, Porta, and Sporta-Pro. UR55 was decent but needed the mod to shine a bit. Needs to be better than the UR55 and UR40 or skip it, IMO. Of course they have to be due for another big winner sometime so we have to keep an eye out and hope. Maybe these are the next big thing from Koss?

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 46
So, after "ORIGINAL15" code brought the price to $42.49 plus free shipping and two convincing reviews popped up, I bought a pair in the dark gray.

Click the link above to read the two reviews as they won't copy/paste. Stuff about being a great value and being the new value even over the Portapro, being 80% of an Oppo Planer portable, and other solid comments from seemingly knowledgeable people. Or the best plant reviews I've ever read, lol!

I said let's see if this early hype is real esp. since the new UR is not pricey in the least. Hopefully, they will "knock off the Portapros and start a new tradition"
wink_face.gif
Maybe I predicted it in my previous post, lol! We'll see.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #19 of 46
Well who doesn't
biggrin.gif
esp. back when I first came here they were one of the mandatory gateway drugs and had a Porta Pro back in the late 80's as well and one of the Radio shack Koss variants in between. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 46
  Koss UR42i... https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/ur42i

They spout the "Hi-Res driver" marketing blurb. Interesting but skeptical for $50 as Koss hasn't done much well at $50 and under in a long time. Just meh stuff for the most part and living off the KSC, Porta, and Sporta-Pro. UR55 was decent but needed the mod to shine a bit. Needs to be better than the UR55 and UR40 or skip it, IMO. Of course they have to be due for another big winner sometime so we have to keep an eye out and hope. Maybe these are the next big thing from Koss?

By the way, here's the thread for the UR42i:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/823952/new-koss-ur42i

I like my KTXPRO1 more than countless headphones that are far more expensive, including many that cost hundreds. I also have the UR55 (which is technically better but has too many tonal issues to be enjoyable for me without EQ) and used to have the KSC75 and UR40.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 46
Have em' move it over here since, even if over ear, they are a portable and not a full size :) Same day as I posted. Wondering why no one seemed at least mildly interested. Hopefully more interest as the impressions come in(and if they continue in the near glowing terms of the first two).

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #22 of 46
  Have em' move it over here since, even if over ear, they are a portable and not a full size :) Same day as I posted. Wondering why no one seemed at least mildly interested. Hopefully more interest as the impressions come in(and if they continue in the near glowing terms of the first two).

Guess you'd have to talk to the powers that be for that. But it looks pretty big to me.

I'd especially be interested in your comparisons of the UR42i to the Koss headphones I mentioned. (Dunno if you've heard the KTXPRO1.) And if you're able to throw some of the slightly more expensive models by Koss (such as the Pro4S and PRO4AAT) into the mix, that would also be cool.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #24 of 46

Guess you'd have to talk to the powers that be for that. But it looks pretty big to me.

I'd especially be interested in your comparisons of the UR42i to the Koss headphones I mentioned. (Dunno if you've heard the KTXPRO1.) And if you're able to throw some of the slightly more expensive models by Koss (such as the Pro4S and PRO4AAT) into the mix, that would also be cool.

I'll start an impressions thread when I get them and take some pics/gather some first impressions.

Had those and all the 60 ohm variants at least once. A couple UR's including the 55 and the cheaper baby brother to the 42i. Just nothing recently outside of the UR23i. I do have my CD666 which is an 80's 30mm evaporated Titanium driver though which is like a Porta Pro bigger and better brother. The SQ5 is similar to the Koss sound but is a lightweight fold flat, over ear portable which is something that Koss never did well till now perhaps.

Had to try a pair, thanks for the discount code.

Nice! The more the merrier! Keep an eye out for the thread :) My shipping via UPS says Saturday. Hopefully Surepost gets it to the P.O. for Saturday delivery but Wisconsin to NY isn't that far so very do-able. Would suck to have to wait till Monday.

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #25 of 46
Whoa, $42 is a heck of a price! And yes, that's some rather effusive praise, esp. the 10/30 review, comparing them to $400 headphones. I'm looking forward to your impressions for sure, as are others. I happen to think the whites are very stylish. If the sound quality is impressive, I'm looking at a pair soon. Hopefully the discount code is valid for a bit still. 

In related matters, I picked up a pair of 40's. They were less than impressive out of the box. I've burned them in for over 100 hours and they are starting to sound better and better. The highs are opening up beautifully. The bass is tight and present, but bass extension maybe isn't great? These are just initial impressions, but I think they sound great. 

They are starting to remind me of the 75's with the treble detail, but perhaps a bit less bass. They're quite light and comfortable as well. 

Another impressive value with impressive sound quality to boot. With a touch more bass, it might be just about dialed. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 46
I think Koss has regular 15% or at least 10% codes for signing up or obviously for thanksgiving/Black Friday. Doubt there will be any issue and will probably be $39.99 street price most likely when fully available. Know I got the UR23i much cheaper than the Koss site price IIRC.

UPS changed to next business day due to holiday(Veteran's Day here in U.S.) though still thought they would get it to the P.O. and it could come today. Monday it seems but it did depart yesterday from Brooklyn to somewhere else. Thought it would be Brooklyn P.O. facility where it seems half of my packages come from anyhow but no luck though it seems.

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 46
Different sites say the ur40s have the ksc35 drivers, some say they are same as ktx pro or something

Anyway, i sleep with these on, and often i switch from higher fi cans, they dont sound 'worse' always, and sometimes it has a sparkly nature which is enjoyable.

Its not 'summit' fi or maybe not 'hi-fi' to many but these are so comfy (with beyerdynamic velours) and sound good to my ears anyway for 90s alternative rock

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 46
 Yeah, the UR40 is the 60 Ohm driver. The new UR is a 35 Ohm driver so do seem to match the new PLX driver from the SP series as stated in the one short review. Always wanted to try the SP330( http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sonic-stunner-koss-sp330-ear-headphone#JpqmHYYWV15pv6ql.97 ) but never got around to it. Noe $42.50, over ear instead on on-ear, and yet smaller and lighter than the SP540 was a must try.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #30 of 46
Okay, working on it as they came this afternoon. Pics and measures and early out of box impression soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back