Koss ProDJ100 with Fiio E6 AMP vs Audio Technica ATH M50
Dec 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard that the Koss ProDJ100 sound better than anything else in its price range, and even up to the $200 headphones. On the other hand, I've heard the m50's are the best sounding headphones without an amp. 

Ok, so 'heard' isn't really 'heard', its actually hours upon hours of eye bleeding research for a affordable pair of headphones for my iphone + my computer.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

How about you ignore what you've "heard" (because frankly, I would advise against both headphones unless your budget is $50~60 tops).

Instead, I would suggest the following:

Budget? (maximum including all potential toys required)
Purpose? (portable or not)
Open or closed (isolation, or not)?
Genres?
Quality of media being played (ie, don't bother getting higher end stuff if you're playing low quality MP3 or youtube rips)?
Character of sound (balanced, reference, neutral, bassy, super bassy)?
Design/Look/Features that are "musts" for you?

Very best,

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 7
1.My budget is low, only around $100's max. Aiming to spend less tho.
2.Portable, but mainly for my computer. If I had to pick between the two, my computer.
3.Closed preferably, but open is fine (I'm not expecting the perfect headphones for this price range)
4.I listen to soft rock/rock/pop/Jpop,~~~  I'll also be using these headphones for gaming.
5.I don't take anything below 320 kbps, and I'd prefer the raw Flac file.
6.This one i'm not so sure about, my friend has a Sony XMB500 and I'd defiantly NOT want something that bassy. Headphones that bring out the best of the highs/mids would be great. 
7.I don't really care for the design/looks of a headphone as long as their durable. 

Headphones that are on on my mind...

ATH-M50's 
Sennheiser HD 518
Pioneer SE-A1000
Koss ProDJ100's + Fiio E6 amp

I've looked at tons of others, but these ones stick out for me.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 7
HD518 are certainly not portable headphones.

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 7
  Why are the sennheisers not portable? They come with two different jack sizes http://i.seimg.net/images/1400600/main/hd518.jpg

Also, So you would say the NVX XPT100 > M50/kosspro+amp/sennheiser/pioneer? Of the ones I mentioned, which headphones have you tried? I have no amp so if they only sound good with an amp, I'd look for others.

HD5xx series are open back which makes them pretty useless for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back